Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,399 Members 52,313 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help re-installing stock sms application.

Tip us?

AlphaCureButt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Help re-installing stock sms application.

I need some help. As in the title, I went dabbling in the root of my Galaxy S4's files and deleted it's stock texting application. I tried to reinstall it and it wouldn't. I'm a newb when it comes to rooting and modding and what not so any help is loved. I'm using a current 4.4.2 Galaxy S4 on Verizon. No custom ROMs or anything of that nature. It's pretty much stock. I don't want to reflash the stock firmware because I have some sentimental pictures of my girlfriend and me on there and I have apps for Chromecast and stuff like that. I can answer whatever you guys want. Please get back to me to get my stock messenger back on my phone. Hangouts and Textra won't cut it for me. I would love to use my Gear 2 with my phone to text, I can't now. So please help me, guys, the genuineness of XDA!! I beg you!

IlluminaTimmy
Old
(Last edited by IlluminaTimmy; 3rd August 2014 at 12:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Go here

Get the odex download.
Open zip, go to system>priv-app. Get Secmms.APk & secmms.odex.
Go into root explorer on phone, to system>priv-app, copy.
Set permissions to both as
Rw-rxx-rxx. Reboot, should be good to go.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Rw-r--r--. Sorry

AlphaCureButt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Thanks, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminaTimmy View Post
Go here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2292707
Get the odex download.
Open zip, go to system>priv-app. Get Secmms.APk & secmms.odex.
Go into root explorer on phone, to system>priv-app, copy.
Set permissions to both as
Rw-rxx-rxx. Reboot, should be good to go.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Rw-r--r--. Sorry
I really appreciate this. I can't wait to try it, except that's my only problem. My internet is so slow. I've downloading it for the past 4 hours almost and it still has 17 to go. Do you think you could post just the files I need?? I feel that will be the only way I'd be able to get this fix. Thanks in advance.

IlluminaTimmy
Old
(Last edited by IlluminaTimmy; 3rd August 2014 at 08:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 AM ----------

https://mega.co.nz/#!SN5ykaBD!mIcQZt...-s4Jlp4pANsh5o

---------- Post added at 04:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

https://mega.co.nz/#!CZQDiDzD!VpLIYs...-6BPTvyjjO2qe0
The Following User Says Thank You to IlluminaTimmy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AlphaCureButt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Thanks so much.

[QUOTE=IlluminaTimmy;54579389]Pm me a email. Don't really know how to send files already saved to memory[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 04:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

I did everything you said and it worked. I had tried every variation of that on my own I guess having the odex file was the key. I'm glad you helped me. Life saver.

IlluminaTimmy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
[QUOTE=AlphaCureButt;54584952]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminaTimmy View Post
Pm me a email. Don't really know how to send files already saved to memory[COLOR="Silver"]

I did everything you said and it worked. I had tried every variation of that on my own I guess having the odex file was the key. I'm glad you helped me. Life saver.
Happy to help. Noticed I gave you the wrong link in my first reply. Glad my two files helped out.