[Q] Little direction please.

24th August 2014, 05:04 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

69 posts
More
Moms X2 finally died, and I picked her up a new s4 on ebay. I need to get her permanent root and wifi tether. She currently has 4.3 and it's trying to get me to accept an update. I'm working on 2 hours of sleep in the past 2 days, and I'm not sure where to begin. Should I keep it at 4.3 or take the update. I've been through the forums a bit, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the best/safest path is to take for her phone to accomplish what's needed. Any advice and or links would be much appreciated, so I don't have to spend the next two hours researching what the best option is. Sorry for being lazy tonight, I'm a bit overworked atm.
24th August 2014, 05:26 AM   |  #2  
Flag Scarborough, ME
Thanks Meter: 450

1,616 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJasonK

Moms X2 finally died, and I picked her up a new s4 on ebay. I need to get her permanent root and wifi tether. She currently has 4.3 and it's trying to get me to accept an update. I'm working on 2 hours of sleep in the past 2 days, and I'm not sure where to begin. Should I keep it at 4.3 or take the update. I've been through the forums a bit, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the best/safest path is to take for her phone to accomplish what's needed. Any advice and or links would be much appreciated, so I don't have to spend the next two hours researching what the best option is. Sorry for being lazy tonight, I'm a bit overworked atm.

First off, never ever take an OTA update. You might possibly have an MDK bootloader and that's worth a lot around here. Go to "about phone" and give us some details about your phone. After that we can help you more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Triscuit For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 01:55 PM   |  #3  
Flag Pikeville
Thanks Meter: 23

85 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triscuit

First off, never ever take an OTA update. You might possibly have an MDK bootloader and that's worth a lot around here. Go to "about phone" and give us some details about your phone. After that we can help you more.

Pretty sure if its already on 4.3 its not an MDK bootloader. In that case you may as well just accept the OTA and use towelroot to root it.

It is possible to upgrade to KitKat and still keep that 4.3 bootloader but it is an involved process for what is probably zero return.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jmgib For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 04:27 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

69 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgib

Pretty sure if its already on 4.3 its not an MDK bootloader. In that case you may as well just accept the OTA and use towelroot to root it.

It is possible to upgrade to KitKat and still keep that 4.3 bootloader but it is an involved process for what is probably zero return.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It's mk2.

So update, towelroot, safestrap 3.72, install the zip to unlock toggles and tether?

I'm not going to put a rom on this phone. She is so lost on these things anyways, I wouldn't want to confuse her, so saving the bootloader for possible future exploit is pointless. As long as the phone works and she can tether to her laptop for netflix life is good.

Is towelroot as good as the previous root. I thought I read somewhere, that it's kind of hokey.
Last edited by DJJasonK; 24th August 2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: one more question.
24th August 2014, 07:21 PM   |  #5  
Flag Wayzata
Thanks Meter: 52

153 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJasonK

It's mk2.

So update, towelroot, safestrap 3.72, install the zip to unlock toggles and tether?

I'm not going to put a rom on this phone. She is so lost on these things anyways, I wouldn't want to confuse her, so saving the bootloader for possible future exploit is pointless. As long as the phone works and she can tether to her laptop for netflix life is good.

Is towelroot as good as the previous root. I thought I read somewhere, that it's kind of hokey.

Towelroot is money. Easy money at that.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S4 BlackBox using XDA Free Mobile App
24th August 2014, 07:23 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

69 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljoe727

Towelroot is money. Easy money at that.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S4 BlackBox using XDA Free Mobile App