Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

YU Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

From MDK baseband to KitKat - Clarifications

OP soad1789

22nd August 2014, 10:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag ~Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 3

21 posts
More
Hi all,

I would really appreciate some clarification as to my situation-- I had a stock MDK build S4, and rooted, installed custom recovery, and then loaded Hyperdrive. Since then I've replaced CWM with TWRP and kept up with Hypderdrive updates up to 17.1.

Coming from MDK, do I have to worry about upgrading my modem / baseband / anything else like that? I'd really appreciate some insight.

Also, what KitKat ROMs are you guys using now? AOSP / AOKP / TW-based, I'm curious as to the other options that exist out there that people seem to be liking.

Thanks in advance.
23rd August 2014, 05:12 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 187

953 posts
More
You don't *have* to update your modem, but generally newer modems are better and more refined. Plus, the newer ones are AWS enabled, so if you have band 4 in your area you should benefit from better LTE speeds. It takes 10 seconds to flash a modem, I say flash until you find the best for you.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Oh and as for ROMs..I'm just using Dan's GPE ROM and use lots of Gravity Box mods. Pretty stable ROM.
23rd August 2014, 10:18 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 414

1,890 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soad1789

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some clarification as to my situation-- I had a stock MDK build S4, and rooted, installed custom recovery, and then loaded Hyperdrive. Since then I've replaced CWM with TWRP and kept up with Hypderdrive updates up to 17.1.

Coming from MDK, do I have to worry about upgrading my modem / baseband / anything else like that? I'd really appreciate some insight.

Also, what KitKat ROMs are you guys using now? AOSP / AOKP / TW-based, I'm curious as to the other options that exist out there that people seem to be liking.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoldier

You don't *have* to update your modem, but generally newer modems are better and more refined. Plus, the newer ones are AWS enabled, so if you have band 4 in your area you should benefit from better LTE speeds. It takes 10 seconds to flash a modem, I say flash until you find the best for you.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Oh and as for ROMs..I'm just using Dan's GPE ROM and use lots of Gravity Box mods. Pretty stable ROM.

Just make sure you only flash the modem only--it is pretty clearly marked in the modem thread in general

+1 on Gravity Box with Dan's ROM. GPE is far and away the smoothest, best performing ROM...proprietary drivers + AOSP leanness = smooth. The only thing I think comes close is Kantjer's SaberMod Slim (its in the international S4 forum general development--it is unified, though, and works fine with our S4).
24th August 2014, 07:56 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag ~Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 3

21 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizey

Just make sure you only flash the modem only--it is pretty clearly marked in the modem thread in general

+1 on Gravity Box with Dan's ROM. GPE is far and away the smoothest, best performing ROM...proprietary drivers + AOSP leanness = smooth. The only thing I think comes close is Kantjer's SaberMod Slim (its in the international S4 forum general development--it is unified, though, and works fine with our S4).

Thanks for the quick replies guys-- OK, so my current baseband is ME7, to be correct. I'm going to try flashing the developer edition NC5 modem and see how that fares, and I also think I'm going to try Dan's GPE ROM (it's gotta be this one, right? derp) because Hyperdrive does feel a little bloated, and I'm not totally sold on TW-styling.

Do you think I'd expect any issues with TitaniumBackup from my Hyperdrive ROM to Dan's GPE? Apparently, people recommended you to re-install everything after upgrading to KitKat, which I failed to read before doing so... maybe I should take this approach instead of using Titanium to ensure stability. For the most part, Hyperdrive was stable and KitKat has been a noticeable performance improvement, but I was getting hot reboots occasionally.

Thanks again thesoldier and brizey
24th August 2014, 10:18 PM   |  #5  

953 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks for the quick replies guys-- OK, so my current baseband is ME7, to be correct. I'm going to try flashing the developer edition NC5 modem and see how that fares, and I also think I'm going to try Dan's GPE ROM (it's gotta be this one, right? derp) because Hyperdrive does feel a little bloated, and I'm not totally sold on TW-styling.

Do you think I'd expect any issues with TitaniumBackup from my Hyperdrive ROM to Dan's GPE? Apparently, people recommended you to re-install everything after upgrading to KitKat, which I failed to read before doing so... maybe I should take this approach instead of using Titanium to ensure stability. For the most part, Hyperdrive was stable and KitKat has been a noticeable performance improvement, but I was getting hot reboots occasionally.

Yup, that's the one. Just make sure you flash the Loki doki zip as well like the instructions say.

I would definitely go in with as little restores as possible, but generally it is fine to restore user apps and NOT system apps, as that will almost always cause an issue. I've restored plenty of user apps + data without issues, but if you do run into any, I'd start over fresh.

Also, I'm running the Dev NC5 modem and so far I feel like it's been the best for me. Just make sure you flash the modem only and not the one with nonhlos.
24th August 2014, 10:20 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 414

1,890 posts
Quote:

Re: Titanium...I would restore data on anything that takes a while to set up. Frankly, I just restore everything, apps+data, and 99% of the time I have no issues. Heck, I have even moved games between devices using TiBU with no issues. But for a lot of stuff, the data is kind of irrelevant to restore.

The only issue with Dan's GPE is that some folks have some issues with data. I maybe have to cycle airplane mode once a week. But I am on wifi a ton--we have BYOD guest wifi at work, so I am not super dependent on data.
24th August 2014, 10:27 PM   |  #7  

953 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brizey

Re: Titanium...I would restore data on anything that takes a while to set up. Frankly, I just restore everything, apps+data, and 99% of the time I have no issues. Heck, I have even moved games between devices using TiBU with no issues. But for a lot of stuff, the data is kind of irrelevant to restore.

The only issue with Dan's GPE is that some folks have some issues with data. I maybe have to cycle airplane mode once a week. But I am on wifi a ton--we have BYOD guest wifi at work, so I am not super dependent on data.

Ah that is true, I sometimes have to toggle airplane mode to get data back, but it is rare. For example, I was on the subway last night and when I got off it wouldn't restore my data automatically so I had to cycle airplane mode. Going home though it came back automatically when I got off, so it doesn't happen all the time. Literally the only gripe I have, everything else is great.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
baseband, kitkat, mdk, modem
Previous Thread Next Thread