No registration required

Sign [Q] Help! VZW S4 lost all recovery

OP Jimmy Rudedog

25th August 2014, 08:00 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

47 posts
More
I have a verizon galaxy s4 (SCH-I545). I flashed the NC5 onto the phone after rooting it. I tried to install Philztouch onto it, but something froze up/crashed during the process. I now do not have ANY type of recovery, and the phone goes directly into download mode when trying to boot recovery.
I deleted and/or frozen anything knox from the phone... it still operates even w/o knox or a recovery in it!!

My situation is that I have used odin to try flashing twrp and other recoveries to the phone. odin says it was successful, but it still has no recovery or doesn't boot into recovery, and I want to install some custom rom's onto it. there is no safestrap and I don't want it.

So, how to put the stock or any other recovery on this phone so I can add new roms???
25th August 2014, 08:07 AM   |  #2  
Flag Wayzata
Thanks Meter: 112

323 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Rudedog

I have a verizon galaxy s4 (SCH-I545). I flashed the NC5 onto the phone after rooting it. I tried to install Philztouch onto it, but something froze up/crashed during the process. I now do not have ANY type of recovery, and the phone goes directly into download mode when trying to boot recovery.
I deleted and/or frozen anything knox from the phone... it still operates even w/o knox or a recovery in it!!

My situation is that I have used odin to try flashing twrp and other recoveries to the phone. odin says it was successful, but it still has no recovery or doesn't boot into recovery, and I want to install some custom rom's onto it. there is no safestrap and I don't want it.

So, how to put the stock or any other recovery on this phone so I can add new roms???

If you are on NC5 then Safestrap is your only option.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S4 BlackBox using XDA Free Mobile App
25th August 2014, 09:42 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

47 posts
More
Exclamation ok, don't want Safestrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljoe727

If you are on NC5 then Safestrap is your only option.

ok. my next addition/question is: will Surge's full wipe and/or pit file bring back the stock recovery so I can start over? this phone is cracked to now run on MetroPCS/T-mobile sytem and I don't want to go back to vzw.

So, will the pit file bring back my recovery... it does not have ANY recovery at all on the phone. here's the pit file I'm referring to: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319199111

thanks.
25th August 2014, 09:53 AM   |  #4  
OP Member

47 posts
More
Arrow edit
Even if I wanted to put safestrap on this phone, there is not any type of recovery in it to use to install safestrap or any other rom or recovery on it.
I have tried odin and it says it worked but will not boot into recovery, it goes directly to download mode. the phone runs, boots and has wifi, data, etc.

I want to know before I go into this if the pit file will work and not mess up things or should I try the entire process? The phone is working but NO RECOVERY IS INSTALLED ON IT AT ALL. (needed to emphasize this fact).

thankz again
25th August 2014, 04:54 PM   |  #5  
Flag Wayzata

323 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Rudedog

Even if I wanted to put safestrap on this phone, there is not any type of recovery in it to use to install safestrap or any other rom or recovery on it.
I have tried odin and it says it worked but will not boot into recovery, it goes directly to download mode. the phone runs, boots and has wifi, data, etc.

I want to know before I go into this if the pit file will work and not mess up things or should I try the entire process? The phone is working but NO RECOVERY IS INSTALLED ON IT AT ALL. (needed to emphasize this fact).

thankz again

If all you are looking to do is install safestrap then you can just towelroot/superSU/BusyBox/safestrap. If you mean recovery mode, as in holding down the power, home, and volume up buttons when booting up the phone, I'm not sure how to get that back on if its missing.

25th August 2014, 07:21 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 25

53 posts
More
Seems to me you had MDK boot loader and custom recovery prior. And that you have blindly flashed the full NC5 build updating everything including your boot loader to a nice new shiny LOCKED one. If the boot loader is NC5 you get to join the Safe Strap club.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app
26th August 2014, 02:30 AM   |  #7  
OP Member

47 posts
More
Arrow Yes, I mean recovery mode
Quote:

If all you are looking to do is install safestrap then you can just towelroot/superSU/BusyBox/safestrap. If you mean recovery mode, as in holding down the power, home, and volume up buttons when booting up the phone, I'm not sure how to get that back on if its missing.

Yes, I mean recovery mode, as in holding down the power, home, and volume up buttons when booting up the phone.

The phone is rooted, and I need to somehow replace or install a recovery so I can put a rom into it. and I don't have to use safestrap if i can put twrp or something else into it.
26th August 2014, 02:33 AM   |  #8  
Flag Wayzata

323 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponix2ipfw

Seems to me you had MDK boot loader and custom recovery prior. And that you have blindly flashed the full NC5 build updating everything including your boot loader to a nice new shiny LOCKED one. If the boot loader is NC5 you get to join the Safe Strap club.

Terrible. Funny, but terrible. Lol @Jimmy Rudedog

26th August 2014, 02:45 AM   |  #9  
OP Member

47 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponix2ipfw

The phone is rooted... and I mean recovery mode, as in holding down the power, home, and volume up buttons when booting up the phone.
I was on 4.3 then got the OTA update and tried to flash it back. it crashed the phone. Ii was stuck in download mode, and i flashed via Odin the NC5 full wipe on this forum then later rooted the phone. I tried to install Philz touch, but it crashed or froze up during the process... and viola!! NO RECOVERY WHATSOEVER IS ON THIS PHONE.
When I try holding down the power, home, and volume up buttons when booting up the phone, it goes straight to download mode no matter what button combination i use.
I don't care about stock or any warranty... that's over and I had this phone converted from Vzw to MetroPCS already.
I tried safestrap before and I don't like it. I need to somehow replace or install a recovery so I can put a rom into it. and I don't have to use safestrap if i can put twrp or something else into it. So, it is open for custom roms and i'm looking at SlimKat to install on this phone. Now, if somebody has a tar file I can flash with Odin... then it's all good.
26th August 2014, 02:52 AM   |  #10  
OP Member

47 posts
More
Quote:

Terrible. Funny, but terrible. Lol @Jimmy Rudedog

Glad you got you giggle on, but this whacked... but the phone still runs without know and a recovery in it on MetroPCS...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread