Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,709 Members 45,891 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Question about gs4 with an unlocked bootloader

Tip us?

wily5150
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] Question about gs4 with an unlocked bootloader

I have a gs4 with an unlocked bootloader (MDK baseband). The data port on mine went south, so I'm looking for another one on swappa. I found one but the baseband does not have mdk in it. It's rooted with 4.4.4, so I know it has an unlocked bootloader. The phone I have now has the mdk in the baseband. My question is how can this be? I know it's been updated, but I didn't think you could update it without loosing the unlocked bootloader. Thanks

tshelby73
Old
Thanks Meter 114
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2817708

ammjr71
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wily5150 View Post
I have a gs4 with an unlocked bootloader (MDK baseband). The data port on mine went south, so I'm looking for another one on swappa. I found one but the baseband does not have mdk in it. It's rooted with 4.4.4, so I know it has an unlocked bootloader. The phone I have now has the mdk in the baseband. My question is how can this be? I know it's been updated, but I didn't think you could update it without loosing the unlocked bootloader. Thanks

You could try to fix it yourself, or buy a replacement port and find a small electronics repair shop to do it for you...

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung...lacement/16542

http://www.amazon.com/ePartSolution-...P4H227S5XYBGJ0

riker147
Old
Thanks Meter 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by wily5150 View Post
Being rooted doesn't mean you have an unlocked bootloader. They are two completely different things. That being said, you should try everything you can to hold on to your MDK phone. They are like gold around here now.

Sent from my NCC-1701 using Tapatalk.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental

jdfrye
Old
Thanks Meter 49
I've rooted a mek device using towelroot. and it didnt have a unlocked bootloader.So like the above poster said, just cause its rooted doesn't mean its MDK
~~~It takes guts to stay unrooted~~

GrizzlyBarrn
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Also, keep in mind that you can't always go by what the build number in About Phone says...cuz even though I have MDK firmware, my build number in the ROM I'm running says that my build number is NE5.

A great tool for determining the ACTUAL firmware/build number is Samsung Phone Info from the Play Store

Keep it kid!

wily5150
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Thanks for your input. I will buy the charge port from the link you provided. I never even thought about fixing it myself. Good job. Thanks again