Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Question about gs4 with an unlocked bootloader

OP wily5150

29th August 2014, 12:37 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Holiday, Florida
Thanks Meter: 6

165 posts
More
I have a gs4 with an unlocked bootloader (MDK baseband). The data port on mine went south, so I'm looking for another one on swappa. I found one but the baseband does not have mdk in it. It's rooted with 4.4.4, so I know it has an unlocked bootloader. The phone I have now has the mdk in the baseband. My question is how can this be? I know it's been updated, but I didn't think you could update it without loosing the unlocked bootloader. Thanks
29th August 2014, 01:42 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 124

678 posts
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2817708
29th August 2014, 02:56 PM   |  #3  
Flag Webster, NY
Thanks Meter: 34

92 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wily5150

I have a gs4 with an unlocked bootloader (MDK baseband). The data port on mine went south, so I'm looking for another one on swappa. I found one but the baseband does not have mdk in it. It's rooted with 4.4.4, so I know it has an unlocked bootloader. The phone I have now has the mdk in the baseband. My question is how can this be? I know it's been updated, but I didn't think you could update it without loosing the unlocked bootloader. Thanks

You could try to fix it yourself, or buy a replacement port and find a small electronics repair shop to do it for you...

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung...lacement/16542

http://www.amazon.com/ePartSolution-...P4H227S5XYBGJ0
29th August 2014, 07:51 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 325

1,016 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wily5150

Being rooted doesn't mean you have an unlocked bootloader. They are two completely different things. That being said, you should try everything you can to hold on to your MDK phone. They are like gold around here now.

Sent from my NCC-1701 using Tapatalk.
29th August 2014, 10:45 PM   |  #5  
Flag Riverside, Ca
Thanks Meter: 64

235 posts
More
I've rooted a mek device using towelroot. and it didnt have a unlocked bootloader.So like the above poster said, just cause its rooted doesn't mean its MDK
29th August 2014, 11:16 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 8

19 posts
Also, keep in mind that you can't always go by what the build number in About Phone says...cuz even though I have MDK firmware, my build number in the ROM I'm running says that my build number is NE5.

A great tool for determining the ACTUAL firmware/build number is Samsung Phone Info from the Play Store

Keep it kid!
30th August 2014, 11:47 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Holiday, Florida
Thanks Meter: 6

165 posts
More
Thanks for your input. I will buy the charge port from the link you provided. I never even thought about fixing it myself. Good job. Thanks again

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread