Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,941 Members 38,816 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New S4, ADB question...root

Tip us?

wetwaterdog
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default New S4, ADB question...root

I have a new S4 with baseband MK2. I am getting ready to do the root etc. but I was testing ADB first to make sure it works.

I have installed the latest USB drivers, and turned debug on in the S4

I get get adb to launch, but when I use the command "ADB devices" nothing shows up.
I have rebooted both PC and phone with the same results.

Question,
Does the phone need to be rooted before ADB will work? If so....then how to I side load "Towelroot"? or anything else for that matter.
am I missing some sdk files...or something else?

Thanks

jawmail
Old
(Last edited by jawmail; 27th August 2014 at 11:15 PM.) Reason: change
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetwaterdog View Post
I have a new S4 with baseband MK2. I am getting ready to do the root etc. but I was testing ADB first to make sure it works.

I have installed the latest USB drivers, and turned debug on in the S4

I get get adb to launch, but when I use the command "ADB devices" nothing shows up.
I have rebooted both PC and phone with the same results.

Question,
Does the phone need to be rooted before ADB will work? If so....then how to I side load "Towelroot"? or anything else for that matter.
am I missing some sdk files...or something else?

Thanks
Usually when nothing shows up at all it's a driver issue. What drivers did you install where did you get them. Windows right?
Edit : root not required.

wetwaterdog
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawmail View Post
Usually when nothing shows up at all it's a driver issue. What drivers did you install where did you get them. Windows right?
Edit : root not required.
Got the drivers from samsung site...latest ver 1.5.45. phone connects to windows computer and displays directories so I know the USB driver is ok.
I did some more looking and am updating my sdk devices right now. I expect that to correct the problem.

jawmail
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetwaterdog View Post
Got the drivers from samsung site...latest ver 1.5.45. phone connects to windows computer and displays directories so I know the USB driver is ok.
I did some more looking and am updating my sdk devices right now. I expect that to correct the problem.
Drivers are good then, update your SDK like you said and try again. It should work after that, I don't have an S4 but they're all the same when it comes to ADB and fastboot. Good luck.

wetwaterdog
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawmail View Post
Drivers are good then, update your SDK like you said and try again. It should work after that, I don't have an S4 but they're all the same when it comes to ADB and fastboot. Good luck.
Yup....sdk's installed and all is well.....

I sure wish I knew exactly which downloads to take from the SDK download manager....
I played it safe with the 4.3 and 4.4. I didn't know if the updates were progressive (included all past needed stuff) or just specific for the version.