Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Stuck on boot (Samsung Galaxy S4 Splash)

OP ___Pyro___

26th July 2014, 06:00 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I have had my S4 (SCH I545) rooted for at least a year now, and today while I was walking down a sidewalk to my house I felt my phone vibrate. Thinking I received a message, I pulled it out, and was greeted by the white "Samsung Galaxy S4" boot splash. 5 minutes before, I was using my phone normally. Battery was on at least 50%. Since then, I have been completely unable to boot up my phone. I can only turn it off by removing the battery - it is completely frozen. Booting into (TeamWin) recovery works, and I backed up my phone to an SD card before completely wiping it. Even after the wipe I am still stuck on the splash screen. Again, I was not attempting to change anything, only using the phone normally. Nothing OS-related on my phone has changed since I rooted it a year ago. Have never even updated .Any ideas? I've been looking for hours.
EDIT: Plugging the phone into either an outlet or a computer will cause it to freeze on a picture of an empty battery with a (non-moving) loading circle. It is still completely unable to be interfaced with in any way (Other than recovery booting).
Last edited by ___Pyro___; 26th July 2014 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Added detail
26th July 2014, 02:53 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 498

1,317 posts
Donate to Me
More
What battery percentage does twrp say?

Sent from my OtterX running AICP using Tapatalk.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

You should charge it in twrp, then push a ROM or backup to your phone.

Sent from my OtterX running AICP using Tapatalk.
27th July 2014, 04:50 AM   |  #3  
Flag Redwood City, CA
Thanks Meter: 369

502 posts
More
Pull the battery, reboot into Download mode, flash this .md5 file in Odin
https://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_...ltevzw.tar.md5

Uncheck "auto reboot" and pull the battery again after it's flashed.

boot into recovery and clear cache and dalvik

Reboot.

Update this when you've done so and we'll go from there.

OR you can always reflash the stock .tar in Odin and reroot your phone using towelroot.com in your browser and start all over. {just be sure to enable Developer Options, and checkmark usb debugging mode first}

Then use Philz instead of TWRP as it's been having issues lately.
28th July 2014, 04:18 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
So I got it working fine after flashing from odin. Today I flashed a Google Play edition ROM and it seems to be working fine with one exception, messages are not being received. The default messaging app will not open at all (Crashes immediately). Using Hangouts will allow me to send messages (confirmed with another device) but even after wiping messaging data and clearing cache I cannot receive texts. Any ideas?

EDIT: I tried flashing to a more updated version of the Google Play edition and apparently now my bootloader is locked because I got message saying to go to a verizon store for help. Guessing I now need to use Odin install a default to re-unlock the bootloader?

UPDATE: Tried to use ez-unlock considering I am on android 4.2.2 with MDK and I hard bricked my phone. Why did that just happen?
Last edited by ___Pyro___; 28th July 2014 at 05:07 PM.
28th July 2014, 11:05 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 2

38 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ___Pyro___

So I got it working fine after flashing from odin. Today I flashed a Google Play edition ROM and it seems to be working fine with one exception, messages are not being received. The default messaging app will not open at all (Crashes immediately). Using Hangouts will allow me to send messages (confirmed with another device) but even after wiping messaging data and clearing cache I cannot receive texts. Any ideas?

EDIT: I tried flashing to a more updated version of the Google Play edition and apparently now my bootloader is locked because I got message saying to go to a verizon store for help. Guessing I now need to use Odin install a default to re-unlock the bootloader?

UPDATE: Tried to use ez-unlock considering I am on android 4.2.2 with MDK and I hard bricked my phone. Why did that just happen?

I'm not completely sure but from the looks of it ez-unlock was made to unlock the s3 bootloader
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread