Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,702 Members 53,943 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Going to sell S4 - Wipe Phone but Keep Unlocked Bootloader

Tip us?
 
mryank9
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 20
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default [Q] Going to sell S4 - Wipe Phone but Keep Unlocked Bootloader

So I am going to sell my MDK Galaxy S4, currently running Hyperdrive 17.1. I want to keep the unlocked bootloader and root and just have fresh install of HD 17.1 but want to wipe everything off the phone (personal data, etc). Is there an easy way to do this?
 
thesoldier
Old
#2  
thesoldier's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 170
Posts: 848
Join Date: Nov 2012
Pretty sure there should be an option in which ever recovery you are using for deleting ALL data, including data/media, which is your data. If not, you could just Odin back to MDK and call it a day.
 
mryank9
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 20
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoldier View Post
Pretty sure there should be an option in which ever recovery you are using for deleting ALL data, including data/media, which is your data. If not, you could just Odin back to MDK and call it a day.
Right, but would doing that delete my ROM, etc, etc? Don't want to brick anything
 
thesoldier
Old
#4  
thesoldier's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 170
Posts: 848
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryank9 View Post
Right, but would doing that delete my ROM, etc, etc? Don't want to brick anything
As long as you don't format /system you will be fine. In TWRP under wipe there's a button that says "format data" which is what you're looking for. Even if you were to accidentally delete your ROM there's Odin.
 
joshm.1219
Old
#5  
joshm.1219's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,343
Posts: 3,166
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoldier View Post
As long as you don't format /system you will be fine. In TWRP under wipe there's a button that says "format data" which is what you're looking for. Even if you were to accidentally delete your ROM there's Odin.
"format data" wipes the system partition. What I've always done when selling Samsung devices is to use Odin. In your case, use Odin full wipe MDK tar file. Then reroot it (towelroot should work, the MDL prerelease kernel & motochopper are probably not necessary anymore) and use TiBu to freeze SDM, so the phone doesn't OTA update. The only way you can truly get rid of data anyway is to overwrite the physical storage that previously held that data. Just "wiping" only deletes the hooks that find and unscramble the actual data, thus all of that information is still recoverable until overwritten.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4 HTC One Max
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery HTC PowerFlip
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass S-OFF & Relocked
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script FlyKernel
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4 Adrenaline Sense 6
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar
 
mryank9
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 20
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm.1219 View Post
"format data" wipes the system partition. What I've always done when selling Samsung devices is to use Odin. In your case, use Odin full wipe MDK tar file. Then reroot it (towelroot should work, the MDL prerelease kernel & motochopper are probably not necessary anymore) and use TiBu to freeze SDM, so the phone doesn't OTA update. The only way you can truly get rid of data anyway is to overwrite the physical storage that previously held that data. Just "wiping" only deletes the hooks that find and unscramble the actual data, thus all of that information is still recoverable until overwritten.
Feeling dumb but do you have a link on how to do this?
 
joshm.1219
Old
(Last edited by joshm.1219; 6th August 2014 at 05:29 AM.)
#7  
joshm.1219's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,343
Posts: 3,166
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Format Data- Get into recovery, hit wipe tab, hit format data, type in yes and hit enter.

Use Odin to flash MDK full wipe tar file- Here's a guide on how http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...in-3-07-a.html , use this file http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...in-3-07-a.html

Root- www.towelroot.com It's the easiest root method I've ever done. Simple apk install. I've never used it on MDK because it wasn't available the last time I had to root this build. Should work though. If it doesn't follow this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2290798

Use TiBu to freeze SDM- Titanium Backup is an app in the play store... Use this guide http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...72197243,d.aWw
Now that you understand how to do it, look for SDM and freeze it. It will stop the phone from trying to take an OTA update.

If you want to get a custom recovery back on there, use flashify (app in play store) to flash the latest TWRP image.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4 HTC One Max
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery HTC PowerFlip
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass S-OFF & Relocked
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script FlyKernel
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4 Adrenaline Sense 6
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar
The Following User Says Thank You to joshm.1219 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mryank9
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 20
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm.1219 View Post
Format Data- Get into recovery, hit wipe tab, hit format data, type in yes and hit enter.

Use Odin to flash MDK full wipe tar file- Here's a guide on how http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...in-3-07-a.html , use this file http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...in-3-07-a.html

Root- www.towelroot.com It's the easiest root method I've ever done. Simple apk install. I've never used it on MDK because it wasn't available the last time I had to root this build. Should work though. If it doesn't follow this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2290798

Use TiBu to freeze SDM- Titanium Backup is an app in the play store... Use this guide http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...72197243,d.aWw
Now that you understand how to do it, look for SDM and freeze it. It will stop the phone from trying to take an OTA update.

If you want to get a custom recovery back on there, use flashify (app in play store) to flash the latest TWRP image.
Thank you so much..for the using Odin step, the two links are the same. Was there a second link for the file?
The Following User Says Thank You to mryank9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
joshm.1219
Old
#9  
joshm.1219's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,343
Posts: 3,166
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryank9 View Post
Thank you so much..for the using Odin step, the two links are the same. Was there a second link for the file?
Oops here you go: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2289325
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4 HTC One Max
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery HTC PowerFlip
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass S-OFF & Relocked
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script FlyKernel
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4 Adrenaline Sense 6
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar

The Following User Says Thank You to joshm.1219 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes