No registration required

[Q] Unlimited Data question

OP laughingwolf

4th July 2014, 02:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hey all,

I've searched a lot on the net about keeping my unlimited data plan, and I've found tons of answers on how to use best buy, or upgrades on different lines, but nothing that seemed to touch on my situation - if any of you have any solutions, I'd be really grateful.

I've had an HTC Thunderbolt since it first came out, and I have the unlimited data plan. I don't have any other lines, and I currently have an upgrade available. I'm out of contract by about 16 months, and pay month to month now.

I have a friend who works for a cell phone remanufacturer and they got me a verizon samsung galaxy s4 for a good price so that I don't have to use the upgrade and lose my plan..

I stopped by verizon and asked for a blank sim card for it, and got that with no problems.

My question is, how do I go about activating the S4 and keeping my grandfathered plan - just call verizon, or take it to the store, or ...?

Thank you for any help you have, and sorry if this has been touched on somewhere else - I wasn't having any luck finding it.
4th July 2014, 02:36 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,579

1,925 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingwolf

Hey all,

I've searched a lot on the net about keeping my unlimited data plan, and I've found tons of answers on how to use best buy, or upgrades on different lines, but nothing that seemed to touch on my situation - if any of you have any solutions, I'd be really grateful.

I've had an HTC Thunderbolt since it first came out, and I have the unlimited data plan. I don't have any other lines, and I currently have an upgrade available. I'm out of contract by about 16 months, and pay month to month now.

I have a friend who works for a cell phone remanufacturer and they got me a verizon samsung galaxy s4 for a good price so that I don't have to use the upgrade and lose my plan..

I stopped by verizon and asked for a blank sim card for it, and got that with no problems.

My question is, how do I go about activating the S4 and keeping my grandfathered plan - just call verizon, or take it to the store, or ...?

Thank you for any help you have, and sorry if this has been touched on somewhere else - I wasn't having any luck finding it.

There's a long thread in the General forum about this. Perhaps you should read that.
The best thread is here and also this.
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th July 2014, 04:58 PM   |  #3  
Flag Lost in Arkansas
Thanks Meter: 25

187 posts
More
I'm not telling you what to do but I called Verizon and spoke with them before upgrading my phone. The woman told me that as long as I didn't take the upgrade and simply activated my new phone using the website, I would keep my unlimited data plan. This is what I did and all worked swimmingly. Bought the phone on Ebay making sure the EIN was still good and activated on the website. All remained the same and I had a new phone.
5th July 2014, 01:33 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 56

526 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smabbage

I'm not telling you what to do but I called Verizon and spoke with them before upgrading my phone. The woman told me that as long as I didn't take the upgrade and simply activated my new phone using the website, I would keep my unlimited data plan. This is what I did and all worked swimmingly. Bought the phone on Ebay making sure the EIN was still good and activated on the website. All remained the same and I had a new phone.

I'm on now my 4th phone since they discontinued upgrades on grandfathered plans. If it needed a different sized SIM, I got one from the store, otherwise I just swap from phone to phone. No problems at all. Even spoke to the VZW rep about it who told me he did the same thing and his phone was rooted as well. But as long as you don't change'extend your plan, you're good. THAT is what takes away grandfathered data
5th July 2014, 05:29 PM   |  #5  
Flag Pierce County, Washington
Thanks Meter: 83

446 posts
More
Activating a device should not change your plan. The only circumstances under which it might would be if you had a 3g plan (iPhone 4 for example) and bought a 4g device. Your plan would need to be updated to support 4g services. That being said, I don't think they would change any of the primary features. You simply cannot use a subsidized upgrade on your unlimited data line; they have it set up to where purchasing a new device requires that you add "compatible" features - and unlimited data isn't, according to their sales rules. So, as long as you buy your own device, you should be fine.

I had a thought on the 3g>4g thing - wife currently has a 3g phone; if I were to buy a 4g device out of contract, would it be possible to keep her on 3g services? She has a 2gb data limit and the low bandwidth seems to be a good way of limiting her data use (although she routinely approaches 1gb of usage every month...damn Facebook/Pinterest/Instagram.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread