Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,347 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Upgrading my S4 still running 4.2.2 while keeping root

Tip us?

Toubabi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Upgrading my S4 still running 4.2.2 while keeping root

Hi everyone! I need some help updating my S4. I rooted it awhile back and I'm very much of the mindset of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," so since it was doing everything I wanted, I've just left it alone and kept dismissing the prompt to install the OTA update. Now I'm having some issues and want some features of the newer versions of Android, so I was looking around for the best way to update it while keeping my root access. All the guides I can find, however, talk about upgrading from 4.3 to 4.4 or 4.2 to 4.3. So I was wondering...

1. What version should I update to? On my last phone, a Droid Bionic, one of the big Android version updates ran so horribly on it that I ended up getting a new phone. Because of that, I'm very nervous about updating my phone and having the performance suffer.

2. There must be a way to go straight from 4.2.2 to whatever version I choose, right? Do I need to go dig up some old guides on how to update my phone so that the most recent guides are relevant?

I hope I'm not being a super noob about this. I tried Googling around, and I'm pretty tech savvy but just haven't had the time to keep up with recent developments, so some guidance would be very helpful!

About my phone:
Verizon Galaxy S4
Model #: SCH-I545
Android version: 4.2.2
Baseband version: I545VRUDMI1

Thanks so much!

Batttie
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Find out what base band you have, MDK, ME7?

If MDK, install recovery download rom.

Anything other check this thread out:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2735172

Advice, better read about the bugs and issues each version has. Once you go up, you cannot go back. Not ever, no never.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

sponix2ipfw
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Well if he is one of those few lucky MDK people he could hop around versions as he please. But most of them already know that *Grin*

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-I545 (Rooted Stock NC5)
Retired: Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III (Rooted Stock LJ7) SPH-L710
Retired: Sprint HTC Evo 4G
<--- Did I help you? If So, Click Thanks!
Fun times,
sponix2ipfw