Ask a question

No registration required

Verizon to AT&T?

OP 3volution

1st July 2014, 02:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 50

673 posts
I'm on AT&T,but just bought a rooted S4 off someone with a Verizon ROM on it. Would I just need to flash a AT&T ROM for the S4 to be able to get the SIM card to work with AT&T?

Any help appreciated.
1st July 2014, 10:18 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

56 posts
More
Same here. My friend gave me his S4 today and it is Verizon and running on the stock ROM. However, I am on AT&T. From what I hear this phone comes factory unlocked so you just plug in the SIM and it should be okay. Is there anything else that I need to know if I want to use this phone as my main?
2nd July 2014, 02:31 AM   |  #3  
Flag Killeen
Thanks Meter: 5

150 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3volution

I'm on AT&T,but just bought a rooted S4 off someone with a Verizon ROM on it. Would I just need to flash a AT&T ROM for the S4 to be able to get the SIM card to work with AT&T?

Any help appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpvsuperstar

Same here. My friend gave me his S4 today and it is Verizon and running on the stock ROM. However, I am on AT&T. From what I hear this phone comes factory unlocked so you just plug in the SIM and it should be okay. Is there anything else that I need to know if I want to use this phone as my main?

After a brief visit with AT&T today, they installed a SIM card from their carrier into my phone, but it would not get speeds grater than EDGE at the time. 3G may have been possible, but it didn't see it right away. Also, they had to update the APN settings in the Settings -> More settings -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names. Lastly, after searching the internet, Verizon carrier locks the GSM in the states. In other words, they make it so you can use GSM OUTSIDE the US but not allow AT&T or T-Mobile SIMS to be used in their devices. This is a carrier lock, not SIM lock, so they can get around the whole "well, our phones are sold SIM unlocked" bs. After calling a level two tech support, he told me that there is no such thing as a carrier lock or SIM lock, and he could not give me a code. The phone was able to make a voice call and send a normal text, but data sucked.
2nd July 2014, 03:30 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,580

1,925 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost0001

After a brief visit with AT&T today, they installed a SIM card from their carrier into my phone, but it would not get speeds grater than EDGE at the time. 3G may have been possible, but it didn't see it right away. Also, they had to update the APN settings in the Settings -> More settings -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names. Lastly, after searching the internet, Verizon carrier locks the GSM in the states. In other words, they make it so you can use GSM OUTSIDE the US but not allow AT&T or T-Mobile SIMS to be used in their devices. This is a carrier lock, not SIM lock, so they can get around the whole "well, our phones are sold SIM unlocked" bs. After calling a level two tech support, he told me that there is no such thing as a carrier lock or SIM lock, and he could not give me a code. The phone was able to make a voice call and send a normal text, but data sucked.

Sorry to disagree, but my SCH-i545 works on the AT&T network with an AT&T SIM installed.
I only get Edge because that's the only band that VZ and AT&T has in common in this area. Swapping out a SIM isn't going to fix that.

What you're finding about GSM locks applies to pre-LTE phones. The LTE phones are not SIM locked, aren't carrier locked. Period.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread