Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Water Damaged Phone, brick or not?

OP armorite

31st August 2014, 06:24 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I am a relative noob to these forums, but I was hoping someone here might be able to give more guidance than I've been able to find on my own. Here is the situation.

I have a Verizon Galaxy s4 SCH-I545 that was taken into a hot tub with a family member for about 7-8 minutes. I assumed the phone would be dead but thought I'd give it my best shot to at least recover the data. After a week of drying and after a good internal cleaning, I was able to get the phone to the samsung logo when plugged into the computer USB. At first I was hopeful seeing the phone wasn't completely dead, however, It will enter download mode but will freeze on any other action. I attempted to enter the stock recovery option, but it hangs on the logo with the blue "recovery booting" at the top.

I was able to flash the latest kitkat stock firmware (I545VRUFNC5_I545VZWFNC5_I545VRUFNC5_HOME.tar.md5) (the same version the phone was on before dunking ) from sammobile.com to the phone using ODIN 3.09 but after a successful install the phone still hangs with the recovery booting line at the top after restart.

Was hoping that since the CPU is obviously not fully shorted I might be able to at least boot to recover the internal data but was not able to get the phone to restart. I've followed as many of the unbrick procedures as I could find both here and elsewhere but no luck so far and I'm running out of ideas.

Should I just write this off as a brick and move on, or is there some other way to flash another ROM that might work? Even if I can't get the phone to work again but could at least get to the internal memory to collect the most recent pics/video that hadn't been uploaded yet that would be a benefit.

Armorite
4th September 2014, 09:00 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I am having the same trouble. Exactly the same situation...trying to determine whether to move on or not. Any thoughts are appreciated!!

AJ

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

One more question...can a replacement motherboard fix this issue? What issues do you run into with a "used" motherboard...esn, locked, etc.? Besides the obvious, does this board actually work, what problems could there be?
Thanks again
AJ

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

One more question...can a replacement motherboard fix this issue? What issues do you run into with a "used" motherboard...esn, locked, etc.? Besides the obvious, does this board actually work, what problems could there be?
Thanks again
AJ
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread