Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,710 Members 44,247 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wont charge after water damage

Tip us?

kristinablushes
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Wont charge after water damage

Last week, I dropped my S4 into some water, fished it out, dried it out. It seemed to be alright, as far as usability. However, it wouldnt charge, it gave me the error that it couldn't charge because the cord wasnt recognized, the battery icon turned grey with a red X on it. I tried this with both cords that I have, both Samsung cords. I can plug it into my computer and after a few tries it will recognize it on USB mode, but not charge mode.

Yesterday, it charged, all the way using one of the cords I have, however, now it is back to the error. Now, I do have extra batteries and an external charger so Im not totally at a loss, but I would like to be able to plug it in at some point.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Magotchi
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Water damage can be tricky, intermittent, and sometimes its effects can go away after a while.

For example, my girlfriend dropped her phone in a tub, the capacitive buttons stopped working for about a month, and then they started working again. Like 8 months later, they started going in and out, again, though.

If it's your only problem and you can get by with an external charger, more power to you. If it were me, I'd probably be looking on Ebay.

S1L3nTShaDoWz
Old
Thanks Meter 8
You could try the rice trick and put it in a ziplock bag and pour rice into it until its filled up then zip it shut and leave it there for 24 hours and see if that fixes it. Sounds stupid yeah but apparently it works.

Or try some of the other stuff from this: http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1268

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1L3nTShaDoWz View Post
You could try the rice trick and put it in a ziplock bag and pour rice into it until its filled up then zip it shut and leave it there for 24 hours and see if that fixes it. Sounds stupid yeah but apparently it works.

Or try some of the other stuff from this: http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone
I've done this with my RAZR and it actually works very well. That phone went to the bottom of a pool and after a day in rice the thing actually worked just fine

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 1179
Have you tried setting it on fire to burn all the water away?
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar

kristinablushes
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magotchi View Post
Water damage can be tricky, intermittent, and sometimes its effects can go away after a while.

For example, my girlfriend dropped her phone in a tub, the capacitive buttons stopped working for about a month, and then they started working again. Like 8 months later, they started going in and out, again, though.

If it's your only problem and you can get by with an external charger, more power to you. If it were me, I'd probably be looking on Ebay.
I've only had my S4 for a few months! I was so mad when I dropped it in the water! If it dies, I can upgrade in November.