[ROM][Official] CyanogenMod 12.1 Nightlies for the Verizon Galaxy S4 (jfltevzw)

Search This thread
Your help in posting the builds and other files is very helpful.

However, I have been burned by TWRP in the past when they do not LOKI their img file. It is really a pain in the but because the S4 becomes unbootable (can't boot into recovery, and can't boot into the Cyanogenmod system), and samsung software must be used to basically reimage the recovery partition to make the S4 bootable.

Now if the LineageOS is not LOKI'd, then I have to use samsung software to put factory operating system onto my MDK S4 phone - with the risk that it might autoupdate on me to the later firmware.

I really don't want to flash anything that isn't explicitly said to be LOKI'ed - even when the OFFICIAL S4 LineageOS builds become available - I won't flash it unless someone says it is LOKI'd.

So, it's a simple question.
I think your answer means that you just don't know.

I understand your concern in protecting your device.

If you would prefer to get it from Invisiblek's site directly, then the link is as follows:

http://download.invisiblek.org/roms/lineage-14.1/jfltevzw/

Also, if you notice that the OP Dev on all the official threads for the CyanogenMod releases (like this thread) are Invisiblek.

Sent on my Communicator [SCH-I535] from the Bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise...

**IF I WAS HELPFUL IN ANY WAY THEN**
**PLZ THANK ME WITH A THUMBS UP!**

HowardZ

Apr 6, 2012
Tried the invisiblek LineageOS 14.1 March 11 build.
Wiped: System, Data, Cache, D.Cache
Left Internal storage and SD Card UNwiped.

Good: It is Lokied

Bad: The startup wizard - I tell it to restore apps from Google account, and when the wizard ends the screen is all white. buttons don't do anything. waiting doesn't help, rebooting has it go back into the startup wizard.

Also Bad: The startup wizard - I tell it to do a fresh install (no restoring of apps from google account). Installed Titanium Backup, but it could not find my backup folder in internal storage.

So, Restored my last cyanogenmod backup. Internal storage is OK, and Titanium Backup can find its backup folder.

Conclusion: The startup wizard needs some fixing.

Tried the invisiblek LineageOS 14.1 March 11 build.
Wiped: System, Data, Cache, D.Cache
Left Internal storage and SD Card UNwiped.

Good: It is Lokied

Bad: The startup wizard - I tell it to restore apps from Google account, and when the wizard ends the screen is all white. buttons don't do anything. waiting doesn't help, rebooting has it go back into the startup wizard.

Also Bad: The startup wizard - I tell it to do a fresh install (no restoring of apps from google account). Installed Titanium Backup, but it could not find my backup folder in internal storage.

So, Restored my last cyanogenmod backup. Internal storage is OK, and Titanium Backup can find its backup folder.

Conclusion: The startup wizard needs some fixing.

Restoring apps from the Google account may not have been such a good thing to do.

Remember that apps you used on one Android version may not be compatible on another.

The Nougat is a complete overhaul of the Android system and there are so many apps that doesn't work on it that worked on Marshmallow.

HowardZ

Apr 6, 2012
When I installed LineageOS 14.1 on my Google Nexus 7 LTE tablet (after wiping off the CyanogenMod) I used the installation wizard to reinstall my apps from my Google account - and it did a wonderful job.

When I installed LineageOS 14.1 on my Google Nexus 7 LTE tablet (after wiping off the CyanogenMod) I used the installation wizard to reinstall my apps from my Google account - and it did a wonderful job.

I never stated that all the apps were not compatible.

You were lucky that it worked for you.

HowardZ

Apr 6, 2012
I wiped and installed LineageOS again.
Same problem exists with wizard restoring apps from google account.

This time I did manage to get Titanium Backup to find its folder on the sdcard, so got my apps restored.

It seems to work well - but keep in mind the SIM card in the S4 phone does not have service.

Regards,

Last edited:

HowardZ

Apr 6, 2012
Unfortunately to install the official lineageOS over the unofficial one required wiping (system, data, cache, dalvic).

I would have preferred the flexibility to flash between official and unofficial versions without the need to wipe.

Official LineageOS still can not restore apps from a google account. Still a problem with the wizard.

Official and unofficial versions seem to work equally well.

Thanks

Unfortunately to install the official lineageOS over the unofficial one required wiping (system, data, cache, dalvic).

I would have preferred the flexibility to flash between official and unofficial versions without the need to wipe.

Official LineageOS still can not restore apps from a google account. Still a problem with the wizard.

Official and unofficial versions seem to work equally well.

Thanks

It's a bit of a challenge via text, i'll try my best to explain a few things to keep in mind...

The Unofficial Builds, for this specific device, were signed released by lead developer of this devices LineageOS Team (Invisiblek).

The Official builds were reviewed, signed and approved for release by the LineageOS Group Team Leader (there's a few of them who overseas their prospective team groups).

Going from an Unofficial build to an Official build (and vice versa), by default, should be known that a clean install should be performed.

With that stated, many individuals perform what is called a "Dirty Flash" that should only be done when updating an Unofficial build with an updated Unofficial build OR an Official Build with an updated Official build. This also involves other actions too (IE... Re-Flashing the SuperSU and, an encouraged, Updated GApps package).

Though, I do agree with the painstaking process this this is but, it is something that needs to be remembered as a standard of practice.

Other's have performed different variations and may have been successful in doing them but, that only applies on a case by case basis. For example, though, I have a d2vzw device and have had some issues (as well as others) with the LOS14.1, there are those who also has the same device haven't had any issues with it.

I hope i explained this okay.

I wish you the best of luck!

HowardZ

Apr 6, 2012
Is it safe to
1. use LineageOS 14.1, and
2. encrypt the device in the settings, and
3. use TWRP to install LineageOS updates to the encrypted phone?

I ask because a few years ago there were problems with TWRP recognizing the encryption.

Is it safe to
1. use LineageOS 14.1, and
2. encrypt the device in the settings, and
3. use TWRP to install LineageOS updates to the encrypted phone?

I ask because a few years ago there were problems with TWRP recognizing the encryption.

On March 8th TWRP released version 3.1.0-0 for the jfltevzw here:

https://dl.twrp.me/jfltevzw/

***PLZ THANK ME WITH A THUMBS UP***

HowardZ

Apr 6, 2012
On March 8th TWRP released version 3.1.0-0 for the jfltevzw here:

https://dl.twrp.me/jfltevzw/

Ibuprophen,

I know you try to be a very helpful person here, and I appreciate it.

But you could have just said you never tried encrypting your S4 phone and you just plain don't know the answer.

Instead you just told me where to get the UNLOKI version of TWRP that I already LOKI'd and put on my phone.

To encrypt the S4 and discover there is no way to update CyanogenMod/LineageOS means wiping everything - even the internal storage. Only the SD card can be spared (and best to remove it to be safest). It's really a super pain in the butt to undo the encryption.

So either someone says - Yeah I tried it and TWRP still does not support LineageOS's encryption. Or - Yes I tried it and TWRP installs updates just fine.

To say nothing because you don't know the answer - is perfectly acceptable.

Last edited:
Ibuprophen,

I know you try to be a very helpful person here, and I appreciate it.

But you could have just said you never tried encrypting your S4 phone and you just plain don't know the answer.

Instead you just told me where to get the UNLOKI version of TWRP that I already LOKI'd and put on my phone.

To encrypt the S4 and discover there is no way to update CyanogenMod/LineageOS means wiping everything - even the internal storage. Only the SD card can be spared (and best to remove it to be safest). It's really a super pain in the butt to undo the encryption.

So either someone says - Yeah I tried it and TWRP still does not support LineageOS's encryption. Or - Yes I tried it and TWRP installs updates just fine.

To say nothing because you don't know the answer - is perfectly acceptable.

No disrespect at all but, nowhere in my text did it state anything that the official release was or was not Loki'd...

All i stated was that the official TWRP was released and the link.

If any misunderstanding has resulted in my response then I truly and deeply apologize for this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMPORTANT INFO:
    -You must be on the VRUAMDK bootloader or you aren't going to be able to use this ROM. I'm sorry =(
    (run this in a terminal to find out: getprop ro.bootloader )
    -We have de-unified the Galaxy S4 line. This is for the Verizon variant (SCH-I545) only

CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 5.1.x (Lollipop), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. Your changelog is whatever was merged into gerrit.

Download Links

CyanogenMod:
    Nightly: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=jfltevzw&type=nightly
    We have de-unified the Galaxy S4 line. Too many issues with having them all in one and a maintainer's nightmare. Look for jfltevzw builds now as opposed to the jflte builds you previously used.

Google apps addon:
    Download: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

The CyanogenMod team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][Official] CyanogenMod 12.1 Nightlies for the Verizon Galaxy S4 (jfltevzw), ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
    invisiblek
    Source Code: http://github.com/CyanogenMod

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    ROM Firmware Required: VRUAMDK bootloader

Version Information

Created 2015-04-20
    Last Updated 2015-04-19
    Do you have a link to the modem update?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2487298

Post #943 get the modem only if on mdk bootloader.
    Its been working great. I had nearly given up on the ROM because BT is really important to me. I figured I would try the 5-1-15 build and have been pleased. Have not seen a BT share force close for the past 3 days.
    Interesting note about MMS / group texts. If I have a pending message that won't download, I have been able to force the message to come through by going to settings => mobile networks => preferred network type and switching from global (or lte) to 1x. Worked for both picture msg and group message.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    This has been present in every CM12.x ROM. What permanently fixed it for me was to edit both the VERIZON INTERNET and the Verizon APNs and add the following to both. (They will be the same after editing)

MMSC:

http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms

Port: 80

APN Type:

default,supl,mms

Make sure to save each APN after editing. Once doing this any pending MMS automatically downloaded and any new one came through as it should. MMS has been flawless since I made these changes.