Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,702 Members 45,129 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[App/Source] WifiTether for S4

Tip us?

TrevE
Old
(Last edited by TrevE; 11th June 2013 at 06:26 AM.)
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3,656

DONATE TO ME
Cool [App/Source] WifiTether for S4

As some of you may know I have been added as a project owner for WifiTether. Today we have released new version to both Google Play and the android projects site with full S4 compatibility out of the box. I do not have a S4 just wrote the code to make it automagically work so as always we start with the thanks section to everyone else that has had a hand in helping.

Thanks
Harry - Original owner of WifiTether, helped with a bunch of the s4/API level cleanup and fixing my messy code Awesome guy.
Ziggy471 - For building new ifconfig binary for us, cutting additional busybox support
Eschelon, NxtGenCowboy, Virus - For testing multiple S4 builds and as always being awesome

Configuration:
*Latest Build recommended, these are just a few devices I have tested on*

Setup-Method: (auto should have right defaults, might need to force)
  • Galaxy S4 - Hostapd
  • Galaxy S3 - Netd-ndc with driver reload 2
  • Evo 3d SoftAP with driver reload 2
  • Sensation SoftAP with no driver reloads
  • Evo 4g SoftAP with no driver reloads

Bugs
  • On GS4 if you enable WPA Security you cannot change SSID/Channel without a device reboot. No security applies changes instantly.
  • You might have to toggle stuff on and off once first if you run into errors. I think there's an error on first creation of config
  • If you switch modes between native wifitether and fallback mode (or stock tethering), your phone may spontaneously combust(wifi crashes) after the routing mess that ensues. Just reboot and you'll be all set again.
  • Seems to work better on SuperSU - Probably due to the per-app permissions vs per command.

Feel free to post any other issues/needed enhancements here. You will probably get a quicker answer from me atleast posting on XDA rather than the google code bugs page.

Download
Source: http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...ource/checkout
Compiled APK: (r570 / 06102013) http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...v3_3-beta2.apk

Difference Between Versions
Any apps labeled "-TrevE mod" will be built from my environment. If we have problems or need a quick fix I may build an apk or two not meant for the general public - just for XDA. Harry and I have different keys so you will need to uninstall market versions to use ones that I build and vice versa.
DONATE TO THE EFF Let them know XDA-Developers sent you or you support the cause (https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/1...s-legal-threat)
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TrevE For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Virus
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9,301

DONATE TO ME
mine

The Following User Says Thank You to Virus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eschelon
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 8,965

DONATE TO ME
Congrats, TrevE, on becoming project owner of one of the best classic Android apps!
The Following User Says Thank You to eschelon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Abolfazl
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I have a S4 running CM10.1 and I keep on getting "starting hostapd: failed". Is there a reason why?

Samsung Galaxy S4
ROM: CM-10.2
SD: 32Gb Class 10
Recovery: ClockworkMod v6.0.4.4
Int'l: Unlocked

jimmiem
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I get a toast message that says tethering has started with errors. When I try to check the log file it says the log file doesn't exist.

TrevE
Old
(Last edited by TrevE; 11th June 2013 at 02:06 PM.)
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3,656

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abolfazl View Post
I have a S4 running CM10.1 and I keep on getting "starting hostapd: failed". Is there a reason why?
Most normal JB+ devices use netdndc, it was kinda surprising (to me atleast) that touchwiz used hostapd. Can you try to use Netd(ndc) setup method mode, and possibly check on/off the send max clients command if that doesnt work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiem View Post
I get a toast message that says tethering has started with errors. When I try to check the log file it says the log file doesn't exist.
Are you using SuperSU instead of superuser.apk?

Also did you try to just turn it off and turn it on again? Very first time using after installing app you might hit a race condition you never will after that.
DONATE TO THE EFF Let them know XDA-Developers sent you or you support the cause (https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/1...s-legal-threat)

madsquabbles
Old
(Last edited by madsquabbles; 11th June 2013 at 03:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevE View Post

Also did you try to just turn it off and turn it on again? Very first time using after installing app you might hit a race condition you never will after that.
i get the same using supersu - i'm on hyperdrive. i've tried all the options mentioned and still getting errors. and of course no logs for some reason - same thing happens with all the versions of wifi tether.

gonna give synergy a run and see how it turns out.

works perfectly on synergy. could be something i did. i only did about 10 min of troubleshooting on hyperdrive b/c i was pretty anxious about trying synergy.

open1your1eyes0
Old
Thanks Meter 3,324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiem View Post
Quote:

Same issue on Verizon Galaxy S4 stock ROM using latest SuperSU. Tried multiple times, on Auto and Samsung Galaxy S4 profile and even rebooted. And when I click to show the log it says the log doesn't exist.

Abolfazl
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Most normal JB+ devices use netdndc, it was kinda surprising (to me atleast) that touchwiz used hostapd. Can you try to use Netd(ndc) setup method mode, and possibly check on/off the send max clients command if that doesnt work?

I would have to switch device profile to the S3. The S4 does not have Netd

Samsung Galaxy S4
ROM: CM-10.2
SD: 32Gb Class 10
Recovery: ClockworkMod v6.0.4.4
Int'l: Unlocked

jimmiem
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:

Yes, SuperSU, yes turned off and on several times. Even rebooted. Oh, and it's a stock Verizon GS4.