FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Spigen NEO Hybrid Broken Warranty Hassle

531 posts
Thanks Meter: 44

By rahlquist, Senior Member on 4th September 2013, 11:14 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Just wanted to share my experience and warning with everyone about Spigen and their warranty practices.

Like many people when I bought my S4 I wanted to put a decent case on it to keep it from getting mangled. So I started out mistakenly buying what appeared to be a slim armor on Ebay. Once I got it, I realized it was likely a fake and Spigen confirmed it. Over the course of dealing with their rep I decided they seemed like a pretty decent company so I ordered a Glas.tr then a week or so later placed and order for a Neo Hybrid through their Amazon store using some bitcoins I had laying around and used the bitspend service to complete the purchase. I got the case, it was legit (with serial # that verifies) and everything seemed fine.

A couple weeks back I noticed my Neo had cracked around the usb port so I took a pic (large image http://pcsites.com/DSCN5201.JPG ) and hit up Spigen on Facebook to see what they had to say. Their rep told me to contact support and that they would send me a reinforced unit (so yes obviously based on this and the number of similar complaints they redesigned the ring on they Neo Hybrid blury pic showing the new ring http://pcsites.com/updated.jpg next to the old silver ring ). So I dropped support a ticket with my product and serial. They got back to me a couple days later. Their response was basically "whats your order #?" If you didnt order our product directly from us, contact who you ordered it from because we cant help you. I responded back and explained to them how I had procured my Neo, including a screen shot of the order confirmation from bitspend. They contacted me back and told me that that had taken my order # from the screen shot and an Amazon rep would be in touch with me. I contacted them back and explained again that I was just the person receiving the item from Amazon so if they told amazon to look it up by order # and contact the person whose order number it was then I wouldn't be hearing from Amazon. I did wait a few days though. Then basically I gave up, responded back and told them I would buy another product.

So just FYI. Just because they brag about a warranty, and they have 'serial' numbers to prove authenticity, don't expect them to stand behind their product necessarily. The tl;dr version of my ticket can be seen here ( http://pcsites.com/spigen2.jpg )

BTW the blue ring in the photo is one I bought when I got tired of waiting for Spigen to be a stand up company to stand behind their product and handle the replacement regardless of whom the item was purchased from. I doubt I will ever purchase from them again considering this service.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rahlquist For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rahlquist Ad-Free

Adam0524
5th September 2013, 12:11 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I bought one of these. Biggest waste of 30 bucks I've ever spent on a case. Not only does it feel cheap it is flimsy as hell.

They literally put less than a dollar in materials into these cases. And the trim that goes around it is beyond flimsy. It's easy to break just trying to put the case on or take it off.

Sweet looking case, but just a straight rip off. I've bought 2 dollar throw away cases that are better built and durable.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
5th September 2013, 02:27 AM |#3  
Flag Healdsburg
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Seems like you bought it at the wrong time, the updated version with the reinforced cutouts came out a while ago. Mines holding up fine but the headphone jack cutout scares me.
5th September 2013, 02:57 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 448

More
I don't agree with Spigen's warranty or lack thereof support, but lol for members to say their materials are cheap is non sense, and I'm just amazed so many people are breaking these things, I change my battery daily which means I have the case off/on once a day and have never had an issue, hell my wife even grabbed the band while I had it off to clean some lint out of the tpu, and she was twisting and flexing it and it survived........

sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4
richii0207
5th September 2013, 03:46 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This is why I buy from the company versus another vendor. Many companies have issues granting warranties on product purchased from another vendor.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
5th September 2013, 01:30 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Villa Rica, GA
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0

I don't agree with Spigen's warranty or lack thereof support, but lol for members to say their materials are cheap is non sense, and I'm just amazed so many people are breaking these things, I change my battery daily which means I have the case off/on once a day and have never had an issue, hell my wife even grabbed the band while I had it off to clean some lint out of the tpu, and she was twisting and flexing it and it survived........

sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

And hardly ever removed my Neo intentionally. It did however occasionally pull off a corner in my pocket. The materials are, what the materials are. In my book, they are likely using what their testing has shown to be the best compromise between profitability and long life. Thats why when it seemed obvious that they wouldn't help me with the warranty claim I bought a replacement ring until such time as I can find a better case. I am a bit picky and dont want something that adds a ton of bulk or a material that drags and pulls going into out of the pocket like some cheap silicon based tpu do.
5th September 2013, 02:27 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 448

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahlquist

It did however occasionally pull off a corner in my pocket.

thats odd, mine is quite tight and has never come close to just pulling a corner out of the case
5th September 2013, 08:08 PM |#8  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 101

More
I would guess the outer is pc-abs and inner a good grade of Poly-u.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4
6th September 2013, 01:39 AM |#9  
Flag Logansport, IN
Thanks Meter: 423

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0

thats odd, mine is quite tight and has never come close to just pulling a corner out of the case

Same here, mines pretty tight on my S4 and haven't any corners pull off.

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Running BeanStalk Android 4.3 And KT's Kernel
6th September 2013, 01:57 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Mine lasted about 3 months and then one of the "bars" surrounding the USB snapped and then the other one gave a week later. The new reinforced USB port looks a lot more promising but the original will inevitably break. I did not take it off that often. :/
7th September 2013, 03:16 AM |#11  
Flag Sabadell
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahlquist

Just wanted to share my experience and warning with everyone about Spigen and their warranty practices.

Like many people when I bought my S4 I wanted to put a decent case on it to keep it from getting mangled. So I started out mistakenly buying what appeared to be a slim armor on Ebay. Once I got it, I realized it was likely a fake and Spigen confirmed it. Over the course of dealing with their rep I decided they seemed like a pretty decent company so I ordered a Glas.tr then a week or so later placed and order for a Neo Hybrid through their Amazon store using some bitcoins I had laying around and used the bitspend service to complete the purchase. I got the case, it was legit (with serial # that verifies) and everything seemed fine.

A couple weeks back I noticed my Neo had cracked around the usb port so I took a pic (large image http://pcsites.com/DSCN5201.JPG ) and hit up Spigen on Facebook to see what they had to say. Their rep told me to contact support and that they would send me a reinforced unit (so yes obviously based on this and the number of similar complaints they redesigned the ring on they Neo Hybrid blury pic showing the new ring http://pcsites.com/updated.jpg next to the old silver ring ). So I dropped support a ticket with my product and serial. They got back to me a couple days later. Their response was basically "whats your order #?" If you didnt order our product directly from us, contact who you ordered it from because we cant help you. I responded back and explained to them how I had procured my Neo, including a screen shot of the order confirmation from bitspend. They contacted me back and told me that that had taken my order # from the screen shot and an Amazon rep would be in touch with me. I contacted them back and explained again that I was just the person receiving the item from Amazon so if they told amazon to look it up by order # and contact the person whose order number it was then I wouldn't be hearing from Amazon. I did wait a few days though. Then basically I gave up, responded back and told them I would buy another product.

So just FYI. Just because they brag about a warranty, and they have 'serial' numbers to prove authenticity, don't expect them to stand behind their product necessarily. The tl;dr version of my ticket can be seen here ( http://pcsites.com/spigen2.jpg )

BTW the blue ring in the photo is one I bought when I got tired of waiting for Spigen to be a stand up company to stand behind their product and handle the replacement regardless of whom the item was purchased from. I doubt I will ever purchase from them again considering this service.

I just got in touch with them through the Help Desk because a friend of mine purchased one case for me while visiting Seattle and now I opened it and found out I got the one with the weak frame.

I told them that regardless who's selling the item, they are the manufacturers and is their fault and their duty to take care of them. Also, the case was purchased in August, long after they introduced the new frame, which means that they should've requested re-sellers to send back defective inventory in order to proceed to a substitution, to avoid customers from purchasing old and weak items from stores.

I hope they understand this and finally change their policy when it comes to customer service... Right now I'm in Spain and I can't really deal with the store in Seattle...

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
neo hybrid, spigen, warranty

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)