Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,319 Members 53,199 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A warning to all

Tip us?

Swizzy88
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default A warning to all

So I put my phone on charge last night and woke up to this. Bare in mind I only sleep 4-5 hours a night so it wasn't on charge THAT long. The phone was off when I picked it up and would turn on, a quick flash of the I9505 screen and then straight off again. There was a minimal scorch mark on my brand new sofa, luckily it's a dark color so it's barely visible. I'm very VERY glad my sofa and or house didn't burn down while I was asleep.

It is currently being investigated by my carrier and Samsung. I used the original battery and charger + cable. I hope they will replace it as it is still under warranty and my second fault with this phone. The previous fault was due to the bad batch of batteries, the expanded battery problem which was also potentially dangerous.

As a warning again to all. Don't leave your phone on charge and out of sight for long periods of time. I was lucky, maybe someone elses sofa and house could have caught fire.

Stay safe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S4.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (111.9 KB, 1337 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swizzy88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alex_maistoru
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzy88 View Post
So I put my phone on charge last night and woke up to this. Bare in mind I only sleep 4-5 hours a night so it wasn't on charge THAT long. The phone was off when I picked it up and would turn on, a quick flash of the I9505 screen and then straight off again. There was a minimal scorch mark on my brand new sofa, luckily it's a dark color so it's barely visible. I'm very VERY glad my sofa and or house didn't burn down while I was asleep.

It is currently being investigated by my carrier and Samsung. I used the original battery and charger + cable. I hope they will replace it as it is still under warranty and my second fault with this phone. The previous fault was due to the bad batch of batteries, the expanded battery problem which was also potentially dangerous.

As a warning again to all. Don't leave your phone on charge and out of sight for long periods of time. I was lucky, maybe someone elses sofa and house could have caught fire.

Stay safe
The same happened to me after 8 months with original charger and battery but my warranty was already lost because i've changed the glass of the display. First the battery got a bump after 6 months of use, changed with original one and then this. Suck a bad hardware.My luck was that the charging module and the antena were not so expensive and easy to change by myself.

Puffler
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Well that's a scary picture.Especially since it's a Samsung charger and cable. I assumed it was a random charger.

CafeKampuchia
Old
Thanks Meter 230
Try reporting the problem to HTC:

HTC gives away the One M8 for free to the owner of a burnt Galaxy S4

roboflekto
Old
Thanks Meter 20
That possibility is always there, but if it were a real problem with that, sure we all should know of it.
How many SGS4 are been charged during every night across the world?
Your battery was faulty, that's all.

POLO_i780
Old
Thanks Meter 66
May I just ask:

Were you rooted? Any mods?
Did you have a protective cover or case on the phone? What brand was it?
What was the last app you installed?
My Droids:
Samsung Galaxy S4 Exynos 5 Octa 32gb Black
Samsung Galaxy S3 Exynos 4 Quad 32gb White
Samsung Galaxy S2 Exynos 4 Dual 16gb White
Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10i +8gb MicroSD Black
The Following User Says Thank You to POLO_i780 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Swizzy88
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLO_i780 View Post
May I just ask:

Were you rooted? Any mods?
Did you have a protective cover or case on the phone? What brand was it?
What was the last app you installed?
Rooted stock ROM. Official Samsung S4 flip case. Maybe grenify? Definitely not something that would mes with the charging procedure.

POLO_i780
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzy88 View Post
Rooted stock ROM. Official Samsung S4 flip case. Maybe grenify? Definitely not something that would mes with the charging procedure.
Oh no, it's with Samsung already, yeah? You better hope they don't find out that it is Rooted, they will milk that part as they will say it was running unofficial software. With Root access they could mention the fact that you have control of the hardware and may have tampered with something in the SW that controls e.g. power management.

Keep us posted on what happens.
My Droids:
Samsung Galaxy S4 Exynos 5 Octa 32gb Black
Samsung Galaxy S3 Exynos 4 Quad 32gb White
Samsung Galaxy S2 Exynos 4 Dual 16gb White
Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10i +8gb MicroSD Black

Brumlex
Old
Thanks Meter 0
That's scary. Always charge the phone at night, 2 inches from my head

bromonano
Old