Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,866 Members 51,146 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Broke my S4's screen/digitizer, what should I do?

Tip us?

berfles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Default Broke my S4's screen/digitizer, what should I do?

Yesterday my Spigen case broke, the little plastic part that surrounds the rest of the case/phone. Of course later that day I dropped my phone and it must have hit right where it was partly exposed, breaking the screen and digitizer.

The phone still boots up and works fine, I just can't get the screen to turn on. I'm actually not sure what exactly is broken, if the screen AND digitizer are busted or just the screen so that it doesn't turn on.

I guess I need to get a screen+digitizer from ebay and try my luck and replacing. I was going to go out today and pay full price for an S5 or LG G3, but now that I'm reading so much about all these new 805 Snapdragon based phones possibly coming, I think I'd rather just wait.

My options are use my old Droid X2, fix the S4 and wait, or just buy a new phone and fix the S4 whenever I feel like it.

On that subject, how do I go about getting my X2 back on as my primary phone with Verizon? I guess I can try to get in a chat with them.

MadnessEvolved
Old
Thanks Meter 2
If you have lost display as well, then the digitizer is shot. So you've got to replace the whole unit instead of just the glass. Costly thing, that. I've got an S2 with that issue that isn't with fixing, as it'll still cost around AUD$200 to get a new one. Ideally, I'd get a phone that died from other issues and use it's screen, but that's effort.

I'd probably recommend holding off and getting a new handset. Although the repair may still be worth doing if the parts are cheaper where you are.

AntaresOne
Old
Thanks Meter 1,937

DONATE TO ME
@berfles

AMOLED panel is broken, you can only buy the whole part already assembled (glass+digitizer+panel+bezel+home key/touch keys' leds). Here in Italy (on eBay) costs about 120€ original, and is very very simple to change, you can also look on iFixit guide

maciekck
Old
Thanks Meter 0
you can change it, there are many digitizers to buy on ebay/aliexpress etc

AntaresOne
Old
Thanks Meter 1,937

DONATE TO ME
@maciekck

Quote:
Originally Posted by berfles View Post
I just can't get the screen to turn on.

As I previously said, AMOLED screen is broken. I'm a technician and I see this kind of things everyday

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505

berfles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Thanks, I've decided to just buy an S5 or G3, no way I'm spending $180 for a screen/digitizer when I can just buy a new phone for less than $100.

ongbac
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by berfles View Post
Thanks, I've decided to just buy an S5 or G3, no way I'm spending $180 for a screen/digitizer when I can just buy a new phone for less than $100.
You mean a clone of S5 or G3?
Samsung Galaxy S4 - GT-i9505 (white frost)
iPod Touch 4G, Nokia 5610 XM, Nokia N72, Nokia 6230, Nokia 5110

berfles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ongbac View Post
You mean a clone of S5 or G3?
Eh? No, the phone with an upgrade.