[Q] S4 Flickering screen issue - What replacement parts are needed?

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
By Blackham, Junior Member on 8th March 2015, 09:15 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I recently purchased a broken S4 with a 'flickering screen' issue. Normally, people are told to return the phone for a replacement, but I can't do that.
In more detail, the problem begins after using the phone continuously for several minutes. The phone works flawlessly regardless of the broken glass screen, but after a while, begins to flicker. Only slightly at first, but then more and more severely until the screen shuts off. Turn the screen on and off again, and it's back to normal. (you normally need to leave the phone for a while before turning it back on, or it'll quickly just flicker itself off again). This to me suggests an over-heating problem, but I can't be sure.

I've wired the phone up the the TV using cheap cable, and the flicker doesn't show on the TV. That is, the phone starts going mental, doing its flicker thing, but the image on the screen remains constantly smooth when swiping - no flicker.
So... is this an image with the digitizer or the cable attaching the digitizer to the motherboard? If the screen doesn't flicker on the TV, that means we can rule out a motherboard issue, correct?

I just want to know what part of the phone to replace really. I don't want to buy a 80 digitizer only to have the same problems once it's been replaced.

Any suggestions welcome, cheers!
8th March 2015, 11:57 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 939
Based on your testing, it's very likely that you can rule out the motherboard. Unfortunately, that leaves the screen. You'll have to replace it, and you can reuse the existing midframe, but save as much of the adhesive as you can after peeling the old screen off, as the new screen doesn't come with adhesive to mount to the midframe.

Unless of course, the place you buy the screen from includes a small roll of the stuff.
9th March 2015, 02:34 AM |#3  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Chieti, Italy
Thanks Meter: 16,777
Donate to Me

As @Strephon Alkhalikoi said it may depend on the motherboard.

Sometimes the kernel may be the cause too, I suggest to try first to reflash stock ROM. Here you can find how-to
12th October 2015, 03:29 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0
With due respect to Antaresone I think I've found the best solution out there for most annoying screen flickering issues... Done a substential amount of digging and finally discovered the app "Twillight" works like a charm by enabling backlight control feature... Try it out first, then thank me and share your experience here ...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Previous Thread Next Thread