Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,470 Members 40,587 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S4 Turns Itself Off During Boot

Tip us?

petrusd987
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Galaxy S4 Turns Itself Off During Boot

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me troubleshoot my Galaxy S4 which turns itself off every time I power it on. Basically, I'll hit the power button and the Samsung logo will pop up with the the lock icon showing that the device has been rooted. Then, after a few seconds the screen will go black at which point I am unable to do anything to it other than pull the battery out and repeat the process. If I wait a few minutes though, I am able to push the power button without having to pull the battery out. In addition, if I attempt to pull the recovery menu up, it will begin to load but as before, the phone will turn itself off before I'm able to do anything useful. At one point I was able to somehow get it to load Android though that may have just been pure luck at work.

I don't believe that my root access is at fault here because I've had it for several months with no trouble to note. Immediately before this happened my power button began acting strangely in the OS. I attempted to factory reset in order to fix this and that's when this problem started. The only other which that I can think of that may have caused this is Safestrap which I uninstalled shortly after the power button began acting up.

Lennyz1988
Old
Thanks Meter 224
Does download mode also reboot? Then it's definetely some hardware malfunction.

By the sound of it it's a malfunctioning power button.
Current:

Samsung Galaxy S 4 I9505 | WanamLite v3.0

Retired:

Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 : AOKP 4.2.1
HTC Touch Pro2 | ROM: Valkyrie 6.5.23115TR2.5
HTC HD2 | DarkStone1337 [FroyoStone Sense - V3.2]
HTC Desire : Oxygen v2.1.3

petrusd987
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyz1988 View Post
Does download mode also reboot? Then it's definetely some hardware malfunction.

By the sound of it it's a malfunctioning power button.
Thanks for the help Lennyz, I was starting to think the same thing myself. I'll have to take it in for repairs.