Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] How does Towelroot change how I install a custom rom on my phone?

OP Crosshash

8th July 2014, 03:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
So, I've been too scared to update my unbranded S4 (still on 4.2.2 stock) but it looks like this Towelroot changes the game somewhat.

So, from my understanding, if I wanted to install say, the GPE rom, this would be the process:

1) Install towelroot and root phone
2) Install a custom recovery such as TWRP
3) Install GPE rom

Does towelroot come with a recovery or do I have to install one manually (flashing via Odin?) Is Towelroot compatible with 4.2.2 or would I need to update my phone with the official OTAs? Am I right in assuming updating via the OTA installs the bootloader which comes with KNOX?

Thank you
8th July 2014, 03:39 PM   |  #2  
Flag Panama / Spain
Thanks Meter: 898

1,563 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshash

So, I've been too scared to update my unbranded S4 (still on 4.2.2 stock) but it looks like this Towelroot changes the game somewhat.

So, from my understanding, if I wanted to install say, the GPE rom, this would be the process:

1) Install towelroot and root phone
2) Install a custom recovery such as TWRP
3) Install GPE rom

Does towelroot come with a recovery or do I have to install one manually (flashing via Odin?) Is Towelroot compatible with 4.2.2 or would I need to update my phone with the official OTAs? Am I right in assuming updating via the OTA installs the bootloader which comes with KNOX?

Thank you

Hi,

the steps describe are right , you need to root your phone ( step 1) , you need to install a custom recovery ( step 2 , not included in step 1) at this point your warranty will be void if you have a knox enable bootloader and finally install custom rom ( step 3)

As mention by geohot

Definitely invited: AT&T GS5, Verizon GS5, GS4 Active, Nexus 5
May have some troubles at the door but invited: AT&T/Verizon Note 3
Possibly invited: Every Android phone with a kernel build date < Jun 3

what model S4 you have , I know for sure all I9500 4.2.2 have the old bootloader so as long as you do not update the bootloader you can use any method you want to root and have no problem with knox. Confirm this for your phone and DO NOT UPDATE THE BOOTLOADER
8th July 2014, 03:42 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX 404

Hi,

the steps describe are right , you need to root your phone ( step 1) , you need to install a custom recovery ( step 2 , not included in step 1) at this point your warranty will be void if you have a knox enable bootloader and finally install custom rom ( step 3)

As mention by geohot

Definitely invited: AT&T GS5, Verizon GS5, GS4 Active, Nexus 5
May have some troubles at the door but invited: AT&T/Verizon Note 3
Possibly invited: Every Android phone with a kernel build date < Jun 3

what model S4 you have , I know for sure all I9500 4.2.2 have the old bootloader so as long as you do not update the bootloader you can use any method you want to root and have no problem with knox. Confirm this for your phone and DO NOT UPDATE THE BOOTLOADER

Ah sorry, here are the details for my phone:

So, apart from installing the official OTA Galaxy S4 update, is it unlikely I'll end up updating the Bootloader?

Thank you
8th July 2014, 03:51 PM   |  #4  
Flag Panama / Spain
Thanks Meter: 898

1,563 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshash

Ah sorry, here are the details for my phone:

So, apart from installing the official OTA Galaxy S4 update, is it unlikely I'll end up updating the Bootloader?

Thank you

Hi ,

I am 100% sure all 4.2.2 are old bootloader ( if you want to make sure go to download mode and see if there is any knox related text)

As long as you do not do any official OTA or flashing with Odin any >4.2.2 stock rom you are knox free .
8th July 2014, 03:52 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX 404

Hi ,

I am 100% sure all 4.2.2 are old bootloader ( if you want to make sure go to download mode and see if there is any knox related text)

As long as you do not do any official OTA or flashing with Odin any >4.2.2 stock rom you are knox free .

Fantastic, thank you. I checked and there was nothing related to KNOX on the Download Mode screen. Guess I'll be flashing GPE now.

Thanks again
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread