Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,254 Members 36,158 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How does Towelroot change how I install a custom rom on my phone?

Tip us?

Crosshash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] How does Towelroot change how I install a custom rom on my phone?

So, I've been too scared to update my unbranded S4 (still on 4.2.2 stock) but it looks like this Towelroot changes the game somewhat.

So, from my understanding, if I wanted to install say, the GPE rom, this would be the process:

1) Install towelroot and root phone
2) Install a custom recovery such as TWRP
3) Install GPE rom

Does towelroot come with a recovery or do I have to install one manually (flashing via Odin?) Is Towelroot compatible with 4.2.2 or would I need to update my phone with the official OTAs? Am I right in assuming updating via the OTA installs the bootloader which comes with KNOX?

Thank you

MAX 404
Old
Thanks Meter 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshash View Post
So, I've been too scared to update my unbranded S4 (still on 4.2.2 stock) but it looks like this Towelroot changes the game somewhat.

So, from my understanding, if I wanted to install say, the GPE rom, this would be the process:

1) Install towelroot and root phone
2) Install a custom recovery such as TWRP
3) Install GPE rom

Does towelroot come with a recovery or do I have to install one manually (flashing via Odin?) Is Towelroot compatible with 4.2.2 or would I need to update my phone with the official OTAs? Am I right in assuming updating via the OTA installs the bootloader which comes with KNOX?

Thank you
Hi,

the steps describe are right , you need to root your phone ( step 1) , you need to install a custom recovery ( step 2 , not included in step 1) at this point your warranty will be void if you have a knox enable bootloader and finally install custom rom ( step 3)

As mention by geohot

Definitely invited: AT&T GS5, Verizon GS5, GS4 Active, Nexus 5
May have some troubles at the door but invited: AT&T/Verizon Note 3
Possibly invited: Every Android phone with a kernel build date < Jun 3

what model S4 you have , I know for sure all I9500 4.2.2 have the old bootloader so as long as you do not update the bootloader you can use any method you want to root and have no problem with knox. Confirm this for your phone and DO NOT UPDATE THE BOOTLOADER
Read before doing
Search before asking
Don’t just say thanks if the information was useful, hit thanks too……

Omega one of the last good roms for the I9500 keep it alive , DONATE , your phone will thank you ....

Crosshash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX 404 View Post
Hi,

the steps describe are right , you need to root your phone ( step 1) , you need to install a custom recovery ( step 2 , not included in step 1) at this point your warranty will be void if you have a knox enable bootloader and finally install custom rom ( step 3)

As mention by geohot

Definitely invited: AT&T GS5, Verizon GS5, GS4 Active, Nexus 5
May have some troubles at the door but invited: AT&T/Verizon Note 3
Possibly invited: Every Android phone with a kernel build date < Jun 3

what model S4 you have , I know for sure all I9500 4.2.2 have the old bootloader so as long as you do not update the bootloader you can use any method you want to root and have no problem with knox. Confirm this for your phone and DO NOT UPDATE THE BOOTLOADER
Ah sorry, here are the details for my phone:

So, apart from installing the official OTA Galaxy S4 update, is it unlikely I'll end up updating the Bootloader?

Thank you

MAX 404
Old
Thanks Meter 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshash View Post
Ah sorry, here are the details for my phone:

So, apart from installing the official OTA Galaxy S4 update, is it unlikely I'll end up updating the Bootloader?

Thank you

Hi ,

I am 100% sure all 4.2.2 are old bootloader ( if you want to make sure go to download mode and see if there is any knox related text)

As long as you do not do any official OTA or flashing with Odin any >4.2.2 stock rom you are knox free .
Read before doing
Search before asking
Don’t just say thanks if the information was useful, hit thanks too……

Omega one of the last good roms for the I9500 keep it alive , DONATE , your phone will thank you ....

Crosshash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX 404 View Post
Hi ,

I am 100% sure all 4.2.2 are old bootloader ( if you want to make sure go to download mode and see if there is any knox related text)

As long as you do not do any official OTA or flashing with Odin any >4.2.2 stock rom you are knox free .
Fantastic, thank you. I checked and there was nothing related to KNOX on the Download Mode screen. Guess I'll be flashing GPE now.

Thanks again