Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,384 Members 44,066 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I9505 for Middle East (or S4 in general), quality loss or just unlucky me?

Tip us?

LordBlades
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default I9505 for Middle East (or S4 in general), quality loss or just unlucky me?

I live in Europe and until a few months back I have only purchased models for Europe via the local carrier, but at the start of this year I was gifted an I9505, purchased from an electronics retail store (it's a model for Middle East as I was told by Samsung when trying to get it fixed), which has turned out to be by far the worst smartphone I have ever owned so far (have owned a HTC Desire and an I9100 Galaxy S2): Twice has it suffered moderate falls, and twice has it suffered very big damage as a result:

First time it dropped from hand-held height and suffered multiple cracks on the glass protecting the LCD. Got it fixed and last night it took another minor fall and it lost all LCD image (without any visible exterior damage).

I have dropped both my previous smartphones in way worse ways with no issue. My wife dropped her S3 several times with no issues, so I wonder:

-Am I just unlucky and/or I have a bad device?
-Is S4 a way more fragile phone than it's predecessors?
-Are Middle East models lower quality than Europe models?

rling
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBlades View Post
First time it dropped from hand-held height and suffered multiple cracks on the glass protecting the LCD. Got it fixed and last night it took another minor fall and it lost all LCD image (without any visible exterior damage).
Electronic devices don't take too well to jarring or drops. Dropping it onto carpeted floor or onto concrete and angle it hits can all affect it, as well as a myriad of other factors. You could be lucky, and just suffer a few scratch marks/scuffs, to complete cracking of screen - and it comes down to luck as to damage suffered.

Big mega-corporations have a production line for their devices, and usually one line per device. It does not make economic sense to selectively degrade the quality of their devices for certain markets. The cost to their reputation worldwide is far too great if it were true.
Samsung S4 LTE (4.4.2)
Nexus 7 (2013) (4.4.4)

LordBlades
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rling View Post
Electronic devices don't take too well to jarring or drops. Dropping it onto carpeted floor or onto concrete and angle it hits can all affect it, as well as a myriad of other factors. You could be lucky, and just suffer a few scratch marks/scuffs, to complete cracking of screen - and it comes down to luck as to damage suffered.
Maybe both me and my wife got lucky the 50-60 times we dropped our phones in the past 10 years or so of cell phone usage and then got unlucky twice in a row with the same phone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rling View Post
Big mega-corporations have a production line for their devices, and usually one line per device. It does not make economic sense to selectively degrade the quality of their devices for certain markets. The cost to their reputation worldwide is far too great if it were true.
On the other hand they do buy their components from subsidiaries or similar, most likely more than 1 company or assembly line (my S4 had a battery made in China for example while I've seen a couple others with batteries made in Korea for example) so component quality might very likely vary. Now whether Samsung would acknowledge and/or direct lower quality batches to specific market is probably the field of conspiracy theories, but I honestly doubt different batches don't vary in quality at least somewhat.