Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,174 Members 51,380 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[i9505] Can't turn on wi-fi

Tip us?

Geo2160
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Default [i9505] Can't turn on wi-fi

Hello, I just received a used Galaxy S4 and I can't seem to get wi-fi to work. Every time I try to turn it on any other network than my own it simply gets stuck. The only fix that I've tried until now is a factory reset which doesn't really work. The KNOX has already been tripped by the former owner (it's 0x01) and I'm pretty handy with flashing tools like Odin. I've heard about flashing a different "non-HLOS" modem, but I don't really understand which one I should use. I have attached to this post two screenshots of the version, baseband and CSC.

So, what should I do? Should I try a non-HLOS modem? Which one should I use? Is there any way to mess up the EFS that way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-08-13-13-39.png
Views:	43
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	2840953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-08-13-13-54.png
Views:	37
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	2840954  

Repulsa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1938

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo2160 View Post
Hello, I just received a used Galaxy S4 and I can't seem to get wi-fi to work. Every time I try to turn it on any other network than my own it simply gets stuck. The only fix that I've tried until now is a factory reset which doesn't really work. The KNOX has already been tripped by the former owner (it's 0x01) and I'm pretty handy with flashing tools like Odin. I've heard about flashing a different "non-HLOS" modem, but I don't really understand which one I should use. I have attached to this post two screenshots of the version, baseband and CSC.

So, what should I do? Should I try a non-HLOS modem? Which one should I use? Is there any way to mess up the EFS that way?
Download and flash this file via odin.

Quote:
That awkward moment when you're reading this comment and can't stop reading because you are so intrigued by it,that you keep reading,and then you realize it says nothing important.

Disclaimer "Proceed with extreme caution as i take no responsibility for any damages to your phone. Do it at your own Risk"

All 4.4.2 GT-I9505 Modem / LTE / Bootloader

Geo2160
Old
(Last edited by Geo2160; 9th July 2014 at 12:24 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsa View Post
Download and flash this file via odin.
Unfortunately that did not work. Any other ideas? Should I try a custom ROM? Or can you point me to a stock firmware which doesn't have this issue?

LE: Well, editing the build.prop securestorage line seems to fix it, but since it's not mine, I would prefer a more permanent fix, one that doesn't go away with a factory reset.