Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

How to Unlock and Root a Nexus Device – XDA TV

It is official–Google has released the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9. The Nexus family … more

[i9505G] No Call Audio

OP jcreations4637

2nd July 2014, 04:08 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

26 posts
More
Hello!

My Galaxy S4 Google Edition has randomly stopped connecting audio for calls in either direction. I have already tried all solutions I could find on the internet and this forum, including:
  • Reboot the phone
  • Check audio settings
  • Factory reset
  • Install multiple different stock firmwares
  • Install multiple modem versions for my phone
  • Test calling with other apps
  • Change type of network (GSM/CDMA/Global/etc)
  • Opening and drying the phone
  • New SIM card
  • New carrier

I have determined that:
  • The calls work after leaving the battery out or switching batteries for about 2 calls before it quits again.
  • All speakers are working, but no audio ONLY during cellular calls.
  • Texting/Data works and calls on this SIM card work in other phones.
  • Calling DOES always work ONLY when using a bluetooth headset

Please Note:
  • It appears to NOT be a software issue, but I am not ruling that out.
  • Just replacing the phone would not be optimal, if possible -- I have no warranty or contract.

So, are there any last effort things I can try before I have to sell this phone as a broken device?
Thanks!
Last edited by jcreations4637; 7th July 2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Re-format post for easier reading
3rd July 2014, 04:40 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
More
Would anyone have an idea what piece of hardware could be broken? Any last software suggestions? I will be trying to sell this in a few days if no one knows anything else I can try.
Last edited by jcreations4637; 7th July 2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Remove quote
3rd July 2014, 04:59 PM   |  #3  
Flag Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 256

1,790 posts
Well the only thing you didn't try is a different simcard.
3rd July 2014, 05:21 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyz1988

Well the only thing you didn't try is a different simcard.

I just tried it and no difference. By extension, the new SIM was also a new carrier, so it was not related to that either. Thanks for the idea.
5th July 2014, 05:31 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Same EXACT Problem
Not that this helps you at all, but I have the same exact problem. I have tried most of the same "solutions" you have tried as well, also to no avail. I have tried countless ROMs, reboots, Odin flashes, etc. What gets me is that once in a while, after installing a ROM or using Odin to go back to stock, I'll get my call audio back for a day or two. Eventually, and without apparent reason, the call audio goes away, and I'm back where I started.

In fact, I was about to write my own XDA post, but then I saw yours, and figured it would suffice.

Good luck. I hope someone has a solution out there because I'm at my wit's end.

Correction: All the same except that my phone is actually a MetroPCS SGH-M919N. Supposedly its the exact same model as the i9505.
Last edited by jessephilip; 5th July 2014 at 05:37 PM. Reason: More information
7th July 2014, 02:54 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessephilip

Not that this helps you at all, but I have the same exact problem. ... Correction: All the same except that my phone is actually a MetroPCS SGH-M919N. Supposedly its the exact same model as the i9505.

Well, good to know it's not only the Google Edition. I believe the other threads I saw were from other models, too. The S4 must just have a cheaply made/defective part.

I've added one last observation to my list. I will probably make a swappa boneyard listing in a few days if anyone is interested.
Last edited by jcreations4637; 7th July 2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Splice quote
7th July 2014, 03:29 PM   |  #7  
Flag Panama / Spain
Thanks Meter: 817

1,362 posts
More
Hi ,

Not clear if you guys have custom roms or not...

I seen similar problems like that in I9500 models and most of the time the problem was modem related..did you try to flash/ reflash a modem ( new or same) ?
8th July 2014, 03:52 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX 404

Hi ,

Not clear if you guys have custom roms or not...

I seen similar problems like that in I9500 models and most of the time the problem was modem related..did you try to flash/ reflash a modem ( new or same) ?

I believe both of us have custom roms (and have tried flashing stock), and we have tried flashing a new modem (old and new). Although, since calling partially works, I will try a few more modems and report back.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
no audio
Previous Thread Next Thread