Post Reply

[Q] i9506 bootloops after sometime on 2 custom roms

26th August 2014, 02:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
I switched from a i9505 to a i9506 recently and first started with Rooting the device and installing CWM on it according to the instructions on this page:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...ucng3-t2827630

Thereafter, i successfully installed solk2's CynogenMod 11.0 rom and was enjoying for about 2 days until i switched off the device to charge. Prior to this I had swtiched it off many times and it restarted ok. Upon restarting, the phone would boot loop at the part where it showed the CynogenMod logo.

Thinking it was a rom issue, I next tried Buda's SPL rom and the same issue happened. I enjoyed the rom for about 2 days after which it would boot loop always after shutting down and restarting the device.

I managed to enter recovery and reboot to bootloader and this was what I got from the screen:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: GT-I9506
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0X1
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
RP SWREV: S1, T1, R1, A1, P1
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable
UDC START

What could be the problem? Could KNOX be behind all these? But how could KNOX still exist on a custom rom?
26th August 2014, 07:07 PM   |  #2  
Tkkg1994's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 57
 
256 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyplex

I switched from a i9505 to a i9506 recently and first started with Rooting the device and installing CWM on it according to the instructions on this page:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...ucng3-t2827630

Thereafter, i successfully installed solk2's CynogenMod 11.0 rom and was enjoying for about 2 days until i switched off the device to charge. Prior to this I had swtiched it off many times and it restarted ok. Upon restarting, the phone would boot loop at the part where it showed the CynogenMod logo.

Thinking it was a rom issue, I next tried Buda's SPL rom and the same issue happened. I enjoyed the rom for about 2 days after which it would boot loop always after shutting down and restarting the device.

I managed to enter recovery and reboot to bootloader and this was what I got from the screen:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: GT-I9506
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0X1
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
RP SWREV: S1, T1, R1, A1, P1
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable
UDC START

What could be the problem? Could KNOX be behind all these? But how could KNOX still exist on a custom rom?

Knox can't be the problem. This is just the bootloader that shows you that't your warranty is void now. Not more. My advice will be: make a clean install with Philz Touch recovery, means clean to install a new rom, wo it will delete everything who's important to flash a new rom. Than select CM11 install new rom and finish
26th August 2014, 08:40 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkkg1994

Knox can't be the problem. This is just the bootloader that shows you that't your warranty is void now. Not more. My advice will be: make a clean install with Philz Touch recovery, means clean to install a new rom, wo it will delete everything who's important to flash a new rom. Than select CM11 install new rom and finish

The previous few roms were also installed with a clean slate, using CWM to:

1) Clear Davik Cache
2) Wipe Cache Partition
3) Wipe Factory Data

I did however install Xpose Framwork and Gravitybox later on both roms but I really don't think those would screw up the bootloader.
28th August 2014, 02:49 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyplex

The previous few roms were also installed with a clean slate, using CWM to:

1) Clear Davik Cache
2) Wipe Cache Partition
3) Wipe Factory Data

I did however install Xpose Framwork and Gravitybox later on both roms but I really don't think those would screw up the bootloader.

Ok... so the same thing happened again for the 3rd time.

22nd August - Flashed solk2's CynogenMod 11.0 rom and got boot loops on 24th August (with Xposed Framework and Gravity Box)
24th August - Flashed Buda's SPL rom and got boot loop on 26th August (with Xposed Framework and Gravity Box)
26th August - Flashed Buda's SPL rom and got boot loop on 28th August (without Xposed Framework and Gravity Box)

It would seem that it isn't the ROM and the Xposed Framework causing the issue. I'm pretty disappointed with how things are turning out for the phone so far in terms of custom roms and will be flashing to OEM Samsung until this issue can be resolved.

On the same note, I do get a notice on both CynogenMod 11.0 and SPL at the startup screen which states on the top left:

KERNEL IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING
Set Warranty Bit: Kernel
screen
Is this normal for custom ROMs on 9506? This has never happened, except maybe during the very early days of 9505's existence.
Last edited by babyplex; 28th August 2014 at 02:55 PM.
28th August 2014, 03:50 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 246
 
1,755 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2009
SPL is based on CM so it can be that they both have the same issues. Both roms are work in progress so it's normal that they have bugs/random reboots.

According to the information you gave, you never tried the roms without Xposed mods. It's also possible that a Xposed mod is causing it.
28th August 2014, 04:17 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyz1988

SPL is based on CM so it can be that they both have the same issues. Both roms are work in progress so it's normal that they have bugs/random reboots.

According to the information you gave, you never tried the roms without Xposed mods. It's also possible that a Xposed mod is causing it.

My most recent try on the 26th was done without Xposed mod and the same issue occured.

I've since reflashed back to OEM ROM and will be monitoring for similar occurances.
2nd September 2014, 07:42 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyplex

My most recent try on the 26th was done without Xposed mod and the same issue occured.

I've since reflashed back to OEM ROM and will be monitoring for similar occurances.

Just an update for all interested. I flashed back to the latest rooted and deknoxed OEM Samsung ROM and have been rebooting and switching off the phone for consecutively 5 days in a row.

None of the issues with the phone not booting up has since happened.

It would be fair to conclude that the knox bootloader protection had really stopped CM11 and SPL roms from booting up. It would be fair to assume due to the functionality of the bootloader protection that it applies to other custom roms as well.

Just a headsup for people wanting to try custom roms on the i9506.
7th September 2014, 02:44 PM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
I had the same issues with SPL rom, until the last week release. I don't try turn off light sensor yet (it was an issue on the other releases). I simply do a new flash e reinstall everything without backup restore (mybackup app) last night and until now everything is pretty good. Wait and see.
7th September 2014, 05:26 PM   |  #9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
OK, first random reboot here. Navigating on play store a get first crash here.
9th September 2014, 04:18 AM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Updating: a bunch of random reboots here. I'm using gravity box too (can't live without this) but I don't know if there a direct connection.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy S 4 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank