Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Root Firmware I9505XXUGNG8

OP LionGod8

11th August 2014, 05:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Hello everyone,

Until today I had official firmware I9505XXUGNF1 on my GT-I9505 that I rooted with TowelRoot (great app by the way).
Knox 0x0.
Today I upgraded to I9505XXUGNG8, and I lost the root (of course), but now TowelRoot can't root my phone.

Is there any solution to this or another method to root without tripping the knox?

Thank you.
Last edited by LionGod8; 11th August 2014 at 08:17 PM.
11th August 2014, 09:06 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 11

87 posts
Delete everything related with knox via titanium back up (popular) or sd maid (personal pref) then root with cf-auto root. Or look up a thread on xda named triangle away...
11th August 2014, 11:55 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 189cutter

Delete everything related with knox via titanium back up (popular) or sd maid (personal pref) then root with cf-auto root. Or look up a thread on xda named triangle away...

1. I think I need Root to delete Knox apps, don't I ?
2. Will this prevent the Knox status from showing 0x1 or is it only by software level ?
3. I prefer a method that skips the Knox counter in the first place (like TowelRoot) and not messing around (with TriangleAway for example) trying to reset what I could avoid. Also, I always prefer a cleaner method (that requires the least number of changes to the system). Besides, TriangleAway doesn't reset the Knox counter, right ?

Thanks.
12th August 2014, 10:24 AM   |  #4  

87 posts
Oh yh sry. Just look up thread on triangle away i think it does reset it. Deleting knox app dosent change nothing it system unless you use it. Infact deleting knox gives you more space.
Or start from scratch- delete data/cache via recovery delete and reinstall usb files on your pc, flash firmware, and try rooting again.
12th August 2014, 04:55 PM   |  #5  
Flag Noida
Thanks Meter: 503

1,277 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 189cutter

Oh yh sry. Just look up thread on triangle away i think it does reset it. Deleting knox app dosent change nothing it system unless you use it. Infact deleting knox gives you more space.
Or start from scratch- delete data/cache via recovery delete and reinstall usb files on your pc, flash firmware, and try rooting again.

KNOX counter cannot be reset even by using Triangle Away. No matter how many data wipes you do or
caches you clean.
Once it it 0x1, it remains 0x1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionGod8

1. I think I need Root to delete Knox apps, don't I ?
2. Will this prevent the Knox status from showing 0x1 or is it only by software level ?
3. I prefer a method that skips the Knox counter in the first place (like TowelRoot) and not messing around (with TriangleAway for example) trying to reset what I could avoid. Also, I always prefer a cleaner method (that requires the least number of changes to the system). Besides, TriangleAway doesn't reset the Knox counter, right ?

Thanks.

Yeah. But what samsung did now was, that they fixed the loophole in KNOX 2.0 OTA upgrade which geohot was using to gain root access.
Wait for a while and see if he gets another loophole to root.

Press Thanks if I helped
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 via XDA app.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeepankarS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th August 2014, 09:58 PM   |  #6  
Flag Netherfield
Thanks Meter: 56

540 posts
More
Surely someone has root on ugng8 using towelroot?
12th August 2014, 10:07 PM   |  #7  

87 posts
From what i know ppl used cf root and custom rommed there phones. Why stick to samsuck?
1st September 2014, 12:43 PM   |  #8  

1 posts
Try this - Worked for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionGod8

Hello everyone,

Until today I had official firmware I9505XXUGNF1 on my GT-I9505 that I rooted with TowelRoot (great app by the way).
Knox 0x0.
Today I upgraded to I9505XXUGNG8, and I lost the root (of course), but now TowelRoot can't root my phone.

Is there any solution to this or another method to root without tripping the knox?

Thank you.

Hi LionGod8

I had same problem with my GT-I9505 (jfltexx), just google " root I9505XXUGNG8 " (without quotes)
should be top result from nasirtech blog .
I used Odin 3.09, make sure to wait for pass.... Might take a little while.
checked with root checker , all good.
2nd September 2014, 07:46 PM   |  #9  

10 posts
i updated too and lost root, and then found out that towelroot is no longer working! any help on rooting without knox 0x1 would be great.
4th September 2014, 08:04 AM   |  #10  

10 posts
Flash a lower kernel and then use towelroot and then flash back the correct kernel for your rom. Knox will be 0x0 but system status will be custom.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread