5,815,133 Members 38,846 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root Firmware I9505XXUGNG8

Tip us?

LionGod8
Old
(Last edited by LionGod8; 11th August 2014 at 07:17 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Root Firmware I9505XXUGNG8

Hello everyone,

Until today I had official firmware I9505XXUGNF1 on my GT-I9505 that I rooted with TowelRoot (great app by the way).
Knox 0x0.
Today I upgraded to I9505XXUGNG8, and I lost the root (of course), but now TowelRoot can't root my phone.

Is there any solution to this or another method to root without tripping the knox?

Thank you.

189cutter
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Delete everything related with knox via titanium back up (popular) or sd maid (personal pref) then root with cf-auto root. Or look up a thread on xda named triangle away...

LionGod8
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 189cutter View Post
Delete everything related with knox via titanium back up (popular) or sd maid (personal pref) then root with cf-auto root. Or look up a thread on xda named triangle away...
1. I think I need Root to delete Knox apps, don't I ?
2. Will this prevent the Knox status from showing 0x1 or is it only by software level ?
3. I prefer a method that skips the Knox counter in the first place (like TowelRoot) and not messing around (with TriangleAway for example) trying to reset what I could avoid. Also, I always prefer a cleaner method (that requires the least number of changes to the system). Besides, TriangleAway doesn't reset the Knox counter, right ?

Thanks.

189cutter
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Oh yh sry. Just look up thread on triangle away i think it does reset it. Deleting knox app dosent change nothing it system unless you use it. Infact deleting knox gives you more space.
Or start from scratch- delete data/cache via recovery delete and reinstall usb files on your pc, flash firmware, and try rooting again.

DeepankarS
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by 189cutter View Post
Oh yh sry. Just look up thread on triangle away i think it does reset it. Deleting knox app dosent change nothing it system unless you use it. Infact deleting knox gives you more space.
Or start from scratch- delete data/cache via recovery delete and reinstall usb files on your pc, flash firmware, and try rooting again.
KNOX counter cannot be reset even by using Triangle Away. No matter how many data wipes you do or
caches you clean.
Once it it 0x1, it remains 0x1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionGod8 View Post
1. I think I need Root to delete Knox apps, don't I ?
2. Will this prevent the Knox status from showing 0x1 or is it only by software level ?
3. I prefer a method that skips the Knox counter in the first place (like TowelRoot) and not messing around (with TriangleAway for example) trying to reset what I could avoid. Also, I always prefer a cleaner method (that requires the least number of changes to the system). Besides, TriangleAway doesn't reset the Knox counter, right ?

Thanks.
Yeah. But what samsung did now was, that they fixed the loophole in KNOX 2.0 OTA upgrade which geohot was using to gain root access.
Wait for a while and see if he gets another loophole to root.

Press Thanks if I helped
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 via XDA app.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeepankarS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bingley
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Surely someone has root on ugng8 using towelroot?
Phone: Samsung S4 GT-I9505
Tablet: Lenovo S5000-H

189cutter
Old
Thanks Meter 11
From what i know ppl used cf root and custom rommed there phones. Why stick to samsuck?

Marine99
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Try this - Worked for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionGod8 View Post
Hello everyone,

Until today I had official firmware I9505XXUGNF1 on my GT-I9505 that I rooted with TowelRoot (great app by the way).
Knox 0x0.
Today I upgraded to I9505XXUGNG8, and I lost the root (of course), but now TowelRoot can't root my phone.

Is there any solution to this or another method to root without tripping the knox?

Thank you.
Hi LionGod8

I had same problem with my GT-I9505 (jfltexx), just google " root I9505XXUGNG8 " (without quotes)
should be top result from nasirtech blog .
I used Odin 3.09, make sure to wait for pass.... Might take a little while.
checked with root checker , all good.

glosman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default 11706

i updated too and lost root, and then found out that towelroot is no longer working! any help on rooting without knox 0x1 would be great.

glosman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Flash a lower kernel and then use towelroot and then flash back the correct kernel for your rom. Knox will be 0x0 but system status will be custom.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app