Problems after last official update (signal and soft keys)

Search This thread

kosmodisk

Sep 27, 2007
Hi all,
recently I've had an opportunity to do a little bit more research on this from the HW point of view, as I was changing my GFs touch screen. Here's what I've found:

1. As it was mentioned in few posts earlier - some ebay/aliexpress screens for i9505 don't have same touch keys controller as the OEM screen (not all of them)
- I've 4 screens that I can check:
* 3 of them (1 OEM, 2 from Aliexpress) have touch screen controller ICs with labels - 0065 1307 0569, 0065 1313 0716...
* 1 of them (unfortunatelly my - the only blue one with good colors from ebay) has label - 236A 1225 544 (also the soldering job seem to be done quite unprofessionally)
2. The 236A 1225 544 doesn't seem to be capable of working properly with FW version 0x12
3. I am not sure what is the meaning of the numbers and I wasn't able to google it (however all screens that work have IC starting with 0065 XXXX XXXX

Next steps:
- I have one spare screen (with crappy colors but it's ok for temporary usage) => I'll ask my friend who has access to heat wave soldering machine to try to swap the controller from broken old OEM screen to my current screen which contains the unofficial controller IC (236A 122 544). Let's hope it'll work ok...

Conclusion:
- with recent Samsung updates it's even more risky to order cheap screens from ebay/aliexpress because one cannot be sure that It'll have the original IC => touch keys wouldn't work (maybe ask seller to check that the IC have label starting with 0065...)

Attachments

• original_working.jpg
    original_working.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 589
  • not_original_not_working.jpg
    not_original_not_working.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:

didigo

May 31, 2015
Hi all,
recently I've had an opportunity to do a little bit more research on this from the HW point of view, as I was changing my GFs touch screen. Here's what I've found:

1. As it was mentioned in few posts earlier - some ebay/aliexpress screens for i9505 don't have same touch keys controller as the OEM screen (not all of them)
* 3 of them (1 OEM, 2 from Aliexpress) have touch screen controller ICs with labels - 6065 1307 0569, 6065 1313 0716...
* 1 of them (unfortunatelly my - the only blue one with good colors from ebay) has label - (2?)36A 1225 544 (also the soldering job seem to be done quite unprofessionally)
2. The (2)36A 1225 544 doesn't seem to be capable of working properly with FW version 0x12
3. I am not sure what is the meaning of the numbers and I wasn't able to google it (however all screens that work have IC starting with 6065 XXXX XXXX

Next steps:
- I have one spare screen (with crappy colors but it's ok for temporary usage) => I'll ask my friend who has access to heat wave soldering machine to try to swap the controller from broken old OEM screen to my current screen which contains the unofficial controller IC (36A 122 544). Let's hope it'll work ok...

Conclusion:
- with recent Samsung updates it's even more risky to order cheap screens from ebay/aliexpress because one cannot be sure that It'll have the original IC => touch keys wouldn't work (maybe ask seller to check that the IC have label starting with 6065...)

Good night Kosmodisk, you are absolutely right, and because of this CI inconsistent than when updated the rom soft keys stop working, according to tests that now did little with softkeys taken from an original screen is broken, I could see the incompatibility of same in relation to new rom lollipop, I do not know if all the people who changed the screen of their handsets recently by a dubious provenance screen vain have the same problem but I can say that many people will have trouble to update their S4 who are using screens that are not original because of the incopatibilidade of hadware.

Nov 19, 2015
I checked mine screens:
same thing, the one not working has a code starting with 236A, the others start with 0065!
Does anybody know a way to change the damn IC firmware?!

javimolcal

Dec 2, 2015
I've tried flashing this version I9505XXUHOE3 but isn't working. I've also done many factory resets, but isn't working either. I've started using an app which may be useful meanwhile we find out how to fix the problem. It's called back button (no root) and works fine. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

kosmodisk

Sep 27, 2007
I checked mine screens:
same thing, the one not working has a code starting with 236A, the others start with 0065!
Does anybody know a way to change the damn IC firmware?!

I'm afraid currently there are only two ways to fix this:
1. Create kernel, based on stock kernel from any older rom, that would ignore touch key FW version check and enforce flash of older firmware 0x10 (assuming, that the IC is still capable of being reflashed)
- this would be quite easy for somebody with kernel building knowledge and required tools (I think I know which lines of the kernel sources need to be changed, but I'm not able to compile the kernel correctly and don't have enough to dive into this...)
- also every update of kernel without this fix will broke the functionality again

2. Replace the IC physically for the one located on your broken OEM screen - I'll be testing this option, so I'll report whether it works...

djcool37: Is there a way (application) to findout what chip is installed on ours S4?
I'm afraid that currently it's not

EDIT:
I've also found that both IC's seem to be from Cypress - one CY8C20065 (I couldn't find datasheet, there's only programming guide) and the second one CY8C20236A
- both IC's should have the same flash size (8k). I'll check it when I'll have a litlle bit more time

Last edited:

sachdevaamandeep

Dec 11, 2015
Soft keys Problem

Going through the same problem after the OTA, havent tried anything. Got my screen replaced a week ago and then the OTA ****ed up the soft keys.
My there is a slight deviation in my case...
Phone's Touch key FW version: 0x09
Part's Touch key FW version: 0x00

kosmodisk

Sep 27, 2007
was that supposed to be 0065 XXXX XXXX ???

Yes, I read it wrong at first. The numbers mark which chip is used. I assume it's like this:
0065 XXXX XXXX - Cypress CY8C20065 => this one seems to work ok so far
236A XXXX XXXX - Cypress CY8C20236A => the one that's not working with new roms

- I've asked Cypress tech support about the differences of these two chips as I couldn't find the datasheet for the first one, but I didn't got the answer
- for now I am still waiting for my friend to resolder the chip for the working one to see if it works

Reactions: greee and mc2mc2

mc2mc2

Nov 25, 2010
Yes, I read it wrong at first. The numbers mark which chip is used. I assume it's like this:
0065 XXXX XXXX - Cypress CY8C20065 => this one seems to work ok so far
236A XXXX XXXX - Cypress CY8C20236A => the one that's not working with new roms

- I've asked Cypress tech support about the differences of these two chips as I couldn't find the datasheet for the first one, but I didn't got the answer
- for now I am still waiting for my friend to resolder the chip for the working one to see if it works
Are you perhaps aware of any aliexpress seller selling the screen+digitalizer assembly with the good chip? Need to replace the screen (keys don't work plus dropped/cracked it again :mad:)

kosmodisk

Sep 27, 2007
Are you perhaps aware of any aliexpress seller selling the screen+digitalizer assembly with the good chip? Need to replace the screen (keys don't work plus dropped/cracked it again :mad:)

I'm afraid I cannot guarantee you that all of their screens will be OK, but the last one I ordered for my GF's phone was from this store
- it has perfect colors and build quality, also it has the same chip as the OEM one, so everything working fine with newest stock rom

Reactions: mc2mc2

mazvix022

Aug 7, 2013
same

anyone has a fix to this??? I also have replaced the screen. Its worked for a long time, but then I decided to root my s4 i9505, I tried few roms, everything worked fine but I don't liked the roms so I went back to stock and now my back and menu buttons not working... I tried everything. flashed a lot of stock roms and flashed custom, but nothing worked... I also went to a fixer and he said that this happened because I rooted my phone. why f*cking Samsung cant fix this problem. my all hardware works fine, back and menu buttons are like new but its not working...

kosmodisk

Sep 27, 2007
hi again to everyone,
finally I've got my screen back with the touch key controller IC replaced for the one from the original screen (0065 XXXX....) and it works as a charm

- so for now, I don't know of any way how to fix this problem by FW update (unless you'll find someone who is able to modify kernel allowing touch key FW downgrade)
- replacing the non-OEM part 236A XXXX XXXX for the OEM one marked 0065 XXXX XXXX definitely fixes the issue, so if you know anyone who can re-solder the chip from your old broken screen to your new one, you can get your touch keys working again with any ROM

Based on the response from the Cypress Semiconductor (touch key IC producer)
- 20065 (the OEM one) is specific branded version of the chip for Samsung - no datasheet is available to public
- 20236A is probably used by non-OEM Chinesee producers to
=> no easy way to tell what causes the non-compatibility with non-OEM chip

good luck with fixing your device

Reactions: mc2mc2

TheDrive

Jan 10, 2007
Moscow
Thank you kosmodisk for your '20236A' 'keyword' :)
Your description occasionally helped to identify Touchkey IC in some other Samsung phones! :)
236A IC part is nothing else than Cypress CY8C20236A touch button controller.
Product page: http://www.cypress.com/part/cy8c20236a-24lkxit
Family Datasheet: http://www.cypress.com/file/138731/download
It has 8KB Flash and 1KB SRAM
This 'junior' version installed in Samsung devices supports up to 10 touch keys
CPU has M8C Harvard architecture, HW/FW dev kits available from Cypress, so someone could try to reverse FW and even add some additional functions like "double tap" etc. :)
Samsung have used this IC in many of 2012+ devices such as
Galaxy GT- I9500 I9502 I959 I9505 I9070, etc.
But it has only 236A XXXX YYYY marking, where XXXX is datecode (week/year) and YYYY some unknown code which varies from time to time.
There is no any Cypress logo marked and it's difficult to identlfy IC part.

Reactions: Lennyz1988

dominik246

Nov 18, 2010
Zupanja
Well the universal fix for the OP's problem is that you need to wipe everything, and I mean everything on the phone (/system, /data, /preload....) and then via odin flash the latest stock rom (this works only for those who doesn't have their touchscreen chip fried) :p

sergey9816

Jun 23, 2013
Hi guys
Recently i have change lcd and have the same problem, but all my keys(vol+-, home, menu back, pwr) and sensors(no gyro, acellerometer, etc) doesn't want to work
I've installed HOA7 and its working fine, all works, but then i go to my everyday custom rom (jdct 5.1.1) buttons work around 5 mins and after-doesn't, i cant even turn on my screen
In the evening i will dissasamble my phone and tell you the chip label
And i also have 2 broken screens with label 0065xxxx....
So do you know the way to replace buttons with out leave protective glass(bcz it is new digitizer and dont want to remove, i can break it)?
And what about the kernel with earlier chip fw?
Sry for my eng, im from russia and dont know much
Thank you

In marsmallow cm 13 buttons doesn't work too

vanito

Jul 22, 2010
Italy
I've I9500 purchased in China but for EU users, this I9500 was only with Signal issue for the rest all was working very good, (Soft Key Touch), with All Stock Fw in the World, but when i've Flashed 5.0.1 Stoch CHN Rom, stop working Soft Key Touch and from *#2663* i've 0x10 and 0x12, and in D.Mode see "I9500CHN".
Have tryed any other Stock Fw for to see if can solve but Nothing of do, only whith Last Stock Rom SER (Russian) 5.0.1 have get to 0x12 and 0x12 but "Soft Key Button" stilll not working.
Have also with BRI Stock Rom 4.2.2 downgrade w/o problem from 5.0.1, but not Flash this Kernel of "Soft Touch Key" :(
I think that the only solution at this point can be some developer that get out one Rescue that Allow to enter in this Menu of "Soft Key Touch Button" for restore parametry to 0x10 and 0x10, at this point you can Flash any Stock ROM Official w/o sboot.bin, and phone Turn back accepting any type of Stock Rom Official.... i cannot belive no there's one developers knowing how solve this issue...please if there's i will do one good donation for his effort, but help we all please ;)

P.D. Sorry my bad English, change Full Lcd not solve the problem one time for all, at first Flash turn back the problem :(

kosmodisk

Sep 27, 2007
Hi guys, I'd recommend you to go through this thread as the answers for all your questions are already there...
+ I'd also like to ask @oiluj if he could modify the first page of this thread with description and current sollutions (it could save a lot of time to many people...)

So for the last time, here's the summary:
(NOTE. Tested on S4 i9505 LTE version - be aware that this approach may not be applicable for other S4 versions)

Symptoms:
Touch keys stop working after flash of newer Samsung stock ROMs (UHOJ, UHOA...) on some Galaxy S4s. Home button works OK. Reverting to old ROM, wiping everything (even flash using repartition) doesn't fix the issue. The most of the phones suffering from this issue have screen replacement (from ebay, aliexpress...).

Diagnosis:
Touch keys controller FW is updated from version 0x10 to 0x12 during installation of mentioned stock ROMs. Some of the non-OEM screens have different touch screen IC then the OEM screens. This IC is NOT compatible with FW 0x12 => keys stop working. Unfortunately the kernel source code contains a check of touch keys IC FW version which prevents downgrading the FW when flashing older ROM. You can disassemble your phone and check if you have working chip in your screen assembly (check label on 16-pin chip on touch keys flex and look for following labels: )
- 0065 (Cypress CY8C20065 ) - OK. Samsung customized, should be working with 0x12. This is what you'll find in original screen assembly
- 236A (Cypress CY8C20236A) - Not compatible with FW 0x12, probably substitution for the samsung customized chip, accessible in stores

You can check your touchkey FW version by dialing *#2663#
To check IC type, look at the touch keys flex cable (attached picture)

Current solutions:
- HW - find someone who is capable to resolder the IC (using heat as it's surface mount), change the 236A for 0065 from your broken OEM screen (I can confirn that this approach works, as that's what I've done
- SW (TBD) - missing someone who can modify the kernel code to bypass the touch key FW version check and try to downgrade the FW (not confirmed but could work)

Conclusion:
- Be aware that you should ask non-OEM screen seller about the touch keys IC version on his goods, as you may get the one with non-compatible chip
- Keep your old broken screens for spare parts

good luck!

Attachments

• original_working_marked.jpg
    original_working_marked.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Reactions: M-Ego

avro.bd

Nov 7, 2014
Today I got an official update, after uograding my S4's back button and other one not woriking ~!
only menu is working..
So many thread here, any solution for me?

Last edited:

vanito

Jul 22, 2010
Italy
@kosmodisk,

Sorry, but in you solution for me no there's nothing of New, can be i'm the unique that Not see this "Real Solution", but when you have said this:
Some of the non-OEM screens have different touch screen IC then the OEM screens. This IC is NOT compatible with FW 0x12 => keys stop working.
and this is very clear first of this Thread.
Also when say this:
change the 236A for 0065 from your broken OEM screen
Nothing of New, tryed 1 year ago.
The Real Solution is here:
- SW - find someone who can modify the kernel code to bypass the touch key FW version check and try to downgrade the FW (not confirmed but could work)
Also you change HW side, Problem in SW remain and can turn back, also if with one Stock Rom is working, at 1/2 or 3 change of Stock Rom.
If you Not know HOW TO flash Kernel of Touch Screen, not has solved nothing of Definitive, is only "Temporary and expensive" solution.

Real Solution is something of this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2800308 , where here you have a way for Flash Kernel for Touck key and restore Original Key.
So, you Know who can do it?, is easy write "find someone who can modify the kernel code to bypass the touch key FW version":laugh:

I've searched in all XDA, (and very many other part), and Nobody Know how do it :(
So, you can write that have find solution only when post here all steps and Files, in this mode we are at same point, NO Solution!!!
Regards
Vanito

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes that was my exact problem, sometime in December I installed the ROM below and for some reason or another I wasn't happy and decided to try and get back to stock, that's when I noticed the menu and back keys wouldn't work. This is when I first noticed the FW key was at 0x1a, but the rom was at 0x12. I followed pretty much all the advice I read in these forums regarding this to no avail.

There was a recommendation to flash the German build separately with it's pit file I9505XXUHOA7_OXAHOA7, which I did including the update to the bootloader and repartition options via Odin, tested this by flashing the latest ROM and it was still broken, so I decided to flash back an older Lollipop build for my phone, including bootloader on ODIN then updated this via Kies and it worked. I have surmised from the test i have conducted that this specific problem we encounter emanates from the bootloader.

The increment to 0x1c from 0x1a was most likely caused by this build http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4/i9505-develop/rom-crdroid-t3017844 , I'm pretty sure that's what triggered it, if not then it maybe some ROMS for the S6/Note 5 which in this case, I tried most of them currently available here. From last official ROM I decided to test the Note 5 / S6 ROM again and noticed this morning the FW reading were both on 0x1c so indeed it may have been this ROM that did it. http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4/i9505-develop/rom-albe95-s6-port-1-0-t3092479
    Thanks, I was able to fix it! :) The S6 port did it, the firmware 1c that got flashed because of that rom seems to be the solution!

So for other people with the problem on I9505's with original IC's (0065), here is what worked for me, step by step:
    1: download and install this ROM: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4/i9505-develop/rom-albe95-s6-port-1-0-t3092479
    I used the 4.7 version specifically. This ROM will force a new firmware to be flashed to the IC, firmware 0x1c, which works with the newer updates (at least with OJ2 on mine)
    2: after you installed this ROM, go to the *#2663# screen and check to make sure it says 0x1c on 'Part's Touch key FW version'.
    3: flash your stock rom via Odin.

Now it should work

Again, thanks to @andonsky , without his info I wouldn't have been able to figure it out.
    Same here, after OTA no menu/back buttons (neither backlight or functionality)

Current status:
    - seems to affect quite a lot of people, there are more threads like this on various sites
    *e.g. here, here, here
    - happenning after both OTA or ODIN based update to latest 5.0.1 ROM (for me it was i9505XXUHOJ2)

My findings so far:
    - NO rom change seems to fix this
    - it seems that touch keys' FW is updated (physically on the chip) along with the update (to version 0x12)
    - Touch key FW update in menu *#2663# not applicable as it says that it won't update - versions are the same (you can check the version of driver used by ROM and the actual FW in chip on this page)
    NOTE. my girlfriend has the buttons working after successful update and has both in version 0x12

Conclusion:
    - It seems that the FW flashing process of the touch keys controllers somehow failed => phone says that it's also ver. 0x12 (same as android driver) but it is probably corrupted
    - Re-flashing of the chip could solve the problems, however there are problems with this:
    NOTES.
    Menu *#2663# won't let us do the flash because of the version check - Can we use ADB to force the update on a rooted phone? Does anybody know how?
    There is a slight chance, that it'll be fixed if Samsung will release some newer update which updates also the keys' FW
    Samsung could release a fix, that will flash this manually as a lot of people have problem with this

!EDIT:
    I've found very similar problem + solution on the Vietnamese forum bellow (don't use the files as it's for different phone!):
    - to sum it up - force downgrading the FW, the update again... (any ROM cook that could help?)
    see here

regards,
    J.
    Thanks, I was able to fix it! :) The S6 port did it, the firmware 1c that got flashed because of that rom seems to be the solution!

So for other people with the problem on original IC's (0065), here is what worked for me, step by step:
    1: download and install this ROM: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4/i9505-develop/rom-albe95-s6-port-1-0-t3092479
    I used the 4.7 version specifically. This ROM will force a new firmware to be flashed to the IC, firmware 0x1c, which works with the newer updates (at least with OJ2 on mine)
    2: after you installed this ROM, go to the *#2663# screen and check to make sure it says 0x1c on 'Part's Touch key FW version'.

Now it should work

Again, thanks to @andonsky , without his info I wouldn't have been able to figure it out.

Your welcome @dafonehacker
    Hi all,

* 3 of them (1 OEM, 2 from Aliexpress) have touch screen controller ICs with labels - 0065 1307 0569, 0065 1313 0716...
    * 1 of them (unfortunatelly my - the only blue one with good colors from ebay) has label - 236A 1225 544 (also the soldering job seem to be done quite unprofessionally)
    2. The 236A 1225 544 doesn't seem to be capable of working properly with FW version 0x12
    3. I am not sure what is the meaning of the numbers and I wasn't able to google it (however all screens that work have IC starting with 0065 XXXX XXXX

Next steps:
    - I have one spare screen (with crappy colors but it's ok for temporary usage) => I'll ask my friend who has access to heat wave soldering machine to try to swap the controller from broken old OEM screen to my current screen which contains the unofficial controller IC (236A 122 544). Let's hope it'll work ok...

Conclusion:
    - with recent Samsung updates it's even more risky to order cheap screens from ebay/aliexpress because one cannot be sure that It'll have the original IC => touch keys wouldn't work (maybe ask seller to check that the IC have label starting with 0065...)

So for other people with the problem on I9505's with original IC's (0065), here is what worked for me, step by step:

Now it should work

This worked for me.

I had this problem and used a few hours today trying to get the buttons to work, I used the above solution and now everything is working perfectly. I just wanted to let people know that instead of googling around for hours trying to find a simplersolution, just try the above first. If you just do it step by step it doesn't really take that much time.

1. flash TWRP using Odin
    * (flash latest bootloader for lollipop? not sure if this is actually needed....)
    2. Download the above 4.7 Rom
    3. Put it on your phone/SD card
    4. Start TWRP recovery
    5. wipe data, cache, system, factory settings etc (look at installation guide for more details)
    6. flash 4.7 rom
    7. reboot and let phone start (takes a looooong time, at least 12min so just be patient and wait!)
    8. go to the *#2663# screen and check to make sure it says 0x1c on 'Part's Touch key FW version'.
    9. (almost there!) turn off phone and boot into download mode
    10. using Odin, flash latest stock rom of your choice

Keys should now work, at least they did for me. I just wish I'd followed the guide from the start instead of googling around, would've spared me hours (although I now have that great feeling of accomplishment :D)