Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Reflashing to stock recovery to do the OTA update

OP Crosshash

9th July 2014, 05:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
I tried a custom ROM (GPE) and I found my signal was dropping far too much. I acknowledge that I probably need to update to a new baseband version but there's so many I had no idea which one to go for.

So I decided I'd rather just install the official OTA.

But in order to do that, I'm guessing I need to reflash the stock recovery and unroot my phone. I can use SuperSU to unroot my phone but where do I get the stock recovery from? I can't seem to find the file anywhere:

Phone stats:

Thank you
9th July 2014, 06:27 PM   |  #2  
Flag Panama / Spain
Thanks Meter: 898

1,563 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshash

I tried a custom ROM (GPE) and I found my signal was dropping far too much. I acknowledge that I probably need to update to a new baseband version but there's so many I had no idea which one to go for.

So I decided I'd rather just install the official OTA.

But in order to do that, I'm guessing I need to reflash the stock recovery and unroot my phone. I can use SuperSU to unroot my phone but where do I get the stock recovery from? I can't seem to find the file anywhere:

Phone stats:

Thank you

Hi mate ,

In order to get it back as it was ( factory ) you need to flash with Odin a stock rom .

Depending in what bootloader you have it will be 100% factory new or 99% , if you got the old bootloader ( 4.2.2 knox free) it will be like new, if you have the knox enable bootloader (>4.3) then the warranty bit will be trip ( you will not be able to use knox related software

Stock roms

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/
The Following User Says Thank You to MAX 404 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th July 2014, 09:32 PM   |  #3  

3 posts
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't wanna make a new thread.

I am currently running a custom ROM with CWM as my recovery. I installed the custom ROM back when my stock ROM was on 4.2.2 so Knox shouldn't be on my phone. To restore my phone back to the original ROM and recovery, do I just flash using Odin? Can I flash the newer 4.4 ROM with Odin without problems?
9th July 2014, 10:08 PM   |  #4  
Flag Panama / Spain
Thanks Meter: 898

1,563 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangstermailuser

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't wanna make a new thread.

I am currently running a custom ROM with CWM as my recovery. I installed the custom ROM back when my stock ROM was on 4.2.2 so Knox shouldn't be on my phone. To restore my phone back to the original ROM and recovery, do I just flash using Odin? Can I flash the newer 4.4 ROM with Odin without problems?

Hi Mate ,

Here is just fine.

If you have a 4.2.2 bootloader you have a knox free bootloader

You can

Flash with Odin a Stock rom 4.2.2 and still keep the old bootloader

Or

Flash with Odin a Stock rom 4.4.2 rom BUT you will flash the new bootloader also ( knox enable)

Until this point your warranty is still fine,

If you flash with Odin a 4.4.2 rom and later decide to root ( I9505 can use towelroot and not trip warranty) , install CWM or a custom rom you will trip your knox
The Following User Says Thank You to MAX 404 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th July 2014, 11:10 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX 404

Hi Mate ,

Here is just fine.

If you have a 4.2.2 bootloader you have a knox free bootloader

You can

Flash with Odin a Stock rom 4.2.2 and still keep the old bootloader

Or

Flash with Odin a Stock rom 4.4.2 rom BUT you will flash the new bootloader also ( knox enable)

Until this point your warranty is still fine,

If you flash with Odin a 4.4.2 rom and later decide to root ( I9505 can use towelroot and not trip warranty) , install CWM or a custom rom you will trip your knox

Great, thank you for the response guys - that's been very helpful.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread