Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,165 Members 39,022 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Reflashing to stock recovery to do the OTA update

Tip us?

Crosshash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Reflashing to stock recovery to do the OTA update

I tried a custom ROM (GPE) and I found my signal was dropping far too much. I acknowledge that I probably need to update to a new baseband version but there's so many I had no idea which one to go for.

So I decided I'd rather just install the official OTA.

But in order to do that, I'm guessing I need to reflash the stock recovery and unroot my phone. I can use SuperSU to unroot my phone but where do I get the stock recovery from? I can't seem to find the file anywhere:

Phone stats:

Thank you

MAX 404
Old
Thanks Meter 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshash View Post
I tried a custom ROM (GPE) and I found my signal was dropping far too much. I acknowledge that I probably need to update to a new baseband version but there's so many I had no idea which one to go for.

So I decided I'd rather just install the official OTA.

But in order to do that, I'm guessing I need to reflash the stock recovery and unroot my phone. I can use SuperSU to unroot my phone but where do I get the stock recovery from? I can't seem to find the file anywhere:

Phone stats:

Thank you
Hi mate ,

In order to get it back as it was ( factory ) you need to flash with Odin a stock rom .

Depending in what bootloader you have it will be 100% factory new or 99% , if you got the old bootloader ( 4.2.2 knox free) it will be like new, if you have the knox enable bootloader (>4.3) then the warranty bit will be trip ( you will not be able to use knox related software

Stock roms

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/
Read before doing
Search before asking
Don’t just say thanks if the information was useful, hit thanks too……

Omega one of the last good roms for the I9500 keep it alive , DONATE , your phone will thank you ....

The Following User Says Thank You to MAX 404 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gangstermailuser
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't wanna make a new thread.

I am currently running a custom ROM with CWM as my recovery. I installed the custom ROM back when my stock ROM was on 4.2.2 so Knox shouldn't be on my phone. To restore my phone back to the original ROM and recovery, do I just flash using Odin? Can I flash the newer 4.4 ROM with Odin without problems?

MAX 404
Old
Thanks Meter 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangstermailuser View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't wanna make a new thread.

I am currently running a custom ROM with CWM as my recovery. I installed the custom ROM back when my stock ROM was on 4.2.2 so Knox shouldn't be on my phone. To restore my phone back to the original ROM and recovery, do I just flash using Odin? Can I flash the newer 4.4 ROM with Odin without problems?
Hi Mate ,

Here is just fine.

If you have a 4.2.2 bootloader you have a knox free bootloader

You can

Flash with Odin a Stock rom 4.2.2 and still keep the old bootloader

Or

Flash with Odin a Stock rom 4.4.2 rom BUT you will flash the new bootloader also ( knox enable)

Until this point your warranty is still fine,

If you flash with Odin a 4.4.2 rom and later decide to root ( I9505 can use towelroot and not trip warranty) , install CWM or a custom rom you will trip your knox
Read before doing
Search before asking
Don’t just say thanks if the information was useful, hit thanks too……

Omega one of the last good roms for the I9500 keep it alive , DONATE , your phone will thank you ....

The Following User Says Thank You to MAX 404 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Crosshash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX 404 View Post
Hi Mate ,

Here is just fine.

If you have a 4.2.2 bootloader you have a knox free bootloader

You can

Flash with Odin a Stock rom 4.2.2 and still keep the old bootloader

Or

Flash with Odin a Stock rom 4.4.2 rom BUT you will flash the new bootloader also ( knox enable)

Until this point your warranty is still fine,

If you flash with Odin a 4.4.2 rom and later decide to root ( I9505 can use towelroot and not trip warranty) , install CWM or a custom rom you will trip your knox
Great, thank you for the response guys - that's been very helpful.