Restore i9506 to STOCK to receive OTA's?

26th July 2014, 12:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 18

121 posts
More
Hey guys,

I know about the built in custom flash counter, not too concerned but I wanted to update my i9506 to the latest KK releases which are starting to roll out now.

I have installed a custom recovery, rooted the stock ROM and stripped out a lot of the stock apps with Titanium Backup. I tried to OTA but obviously it wouldn't let me because "modified software".

How would I go about returning the phone to a completely stock state; bootloader, recovery, ROM, everything so I can receive OTA's in the future/or flash the latest ROM using software? I don't mind about losing root or any of my customization and probably won't do the custom recoveries in the future (there's not much dev for the i9506 variant). I'm guessing at the very least I'll need to find an entire stock ROM firmware online and flash with Odin or similar?

Can anyone point me to a guide or where to get the stock firmware? Is there a way using the official software (just plug the phone in and let it fix itself) or would it be pretty complicated?

Thanks heaps guys.
26th July 2014, 12:22 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

121 posts
More
I forgot to add; I got the phone from Vodafone in Australia. I'm currently downloading this from sammobile:

Quote:

Model: GT-I9506
Model name: GALAXY S4 LTE-A
Version: Android 4.3
Changelist: 2210443
Build date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 01:22:38 +0000
Product Code: VAU
PDA: I9506XXUBNB2
CSC: I9506VAUBNB4
MODEM: I9506XXUBNB1

It will be finished when I wake up.

Would the instructions on sammobile be the only thing I need to do:

Quote:

Instructions
Extract (unzip) the firmware file
Download Odin v3.09
Extract Odin zip-file
Open Odin v3.09
Reboot phone in Download Mode (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down buttons)
Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
Add the firmware file to AP / PDA
Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
Click the start button, sit back and wait a few minutes

To return this phone to stock to install OTA updates? If I installed the French Orange 4.4.2 would the phone work at all (curiosity)?

Thanks again guys.
27th July 2014, 03:32 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

121 posts
More
Anyone? I just want to be sure I don't get stuck in an irreversible boot loop.
27th July 2014, 12:46 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

121 posts
More
Well I took the plunge and followed the instructions, for anyone wondering (or discovering this thread later) here's what happened:

The process completed, the device rebooted and... everything was exactly how it was, seemingly nothing happened, however:

Root was gone
Apps which I had deleted with Titanium were still missing
Going to update in settings didn't give me an error regarding modified software, it just stated there were no updates available.

UPDATE 1: I have now gone through settings and did a "factory reset", the phone is rebooting now.

UPDATE 2: The phone has rebooted and I entered all of my information. All of the bloat is back, and everything appears normal.

UPDATE 3: I booted into recovery (home, power and vol+up) and it came up with the stock recovery, there's no sign of CWM.

It's a pretty straight forward process, now to wait for Vodafone to push the update (or maybe to try another countries when it gets released, hmm)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread