Dynamic Pop for Note 4 (N910T & 910W8)

With the release of the Canadian Lollipop ROM for the Note 4, T-Mobile users can also enjoy the … more

Sunday Debate: Better to Buy Older or Newer Hardware?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on New vs. Old. Come with your opinions and feel … more

HTC Sense Camera & Gallery for M8 GPE Lollipop

If you are running a GPE ROM and miss the sense gallery and camera, this flashable zip by … more

XenonHD Unofficial AOSP-based ROM for Find 7a

XDA Recognized Contributor uppon2 & Team Horizon are bringing the Oppo … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Another screen broken advice needed

28th December 2014, 02:50 PM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

18 posts
Hello all,

I bought a Galaxy S4 for my partner, and stupidly didn't get it insured.
The screen got cracked quite badly, so fr 120 a local lad put a new screen on. Later that week it got dropped onto mud on the way to nursery and smashed entirely.

I now have a predicament, either give up the phone and go back to my sluggish s3, or ask you guys this question:

Where is the best and most value for money place to get a smashed screen fixed (you can't see anything just a rim of light) somewhere reputable that will use genuine parts and guarantee their work? I really don't want to just leave it on the shelf and am worried that without good advice I will end up with another shabby repair.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and Happy Christmas,

Ric

29th December 2014, 02:31 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 400

1,222 posts
If you only break the front glass like what happened to mine, you can get new glass for 5 and DIY. (If you're confident working on things like that - it is a bit of a nightmare of a job to separate the glass from the touch sensor)

But if there's no picture on the screen at all then you've killed it completely. A new full screen assembly is about 90 on eBay I think, so 120 is about the right price for someone to do it for you.

BTW, the first time you broke your screen, if you could still see the picture on the screen was fine, then the guy probably charged you 120 to change the 5 front glass. I've heard of people getting ripped off like that.

Most of the time it is just the front glass that is broken. Unfortunately this latest time, it sounds like you've been unlucky.

You could always take out phone insurance, leave it a couple of months, and then the screen breaks.
29th December 2014, 01:07 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles1978

If you only break the front glass like what happened to mine, you can get new glass for 5 and DIY. (If you're confident working on things like that - it is a bit of a nightmare of a job to separate the glass from the touch sensor)

But if there's no picture on the screen at all then you've killed it completely. A new full screen assembly is about 90 on eBay I think, so 120 is about the right price for someone to do it for you.

BTW, the first time you broke your screen, if you could still see the picture on the screen was fine, then the guy probably charged you 120 to change the 5 front glass. I've heard of people getting ripped off like that.

Most of the time it is just the front glass that is broken. Unfortunately this latest time, it sounds like you've been unlucky.

You could always take out phone insurance, leave it a couple of months, and then the screen breaks.

ha, the first time the phone broke, my misses threw it against a metal door obliterating the top and matrix thingy so an extensive repair was required. I'm well aware of the 5 DIY jobby hairdryer thing but this second breaking is again both screens, and I don't want a shabby repair I want the original screen part so that it is as strong as it can possibly be. I paid this guy 120, but the screen was so weak it broke dropping on mud! SO I still need to know, where can I get it fixed with genuine Samsung parts? Samsung only? Are the any reputable companies members would use to have their 500 phones repaired?

Thanks to the guy that replied I can't see your name now I'm replying somehow...
29th December 2014, 03:22 PM |#4  

1,222 posts
In pretty sure there aren't any fake AMOLED screens, not like phones that use LCD - there are hundreds of fake LCD's for those phones. But there are fake front glass panels.

If I wanted to make sure that genuine parts were used I'd order the screen assembly up from eBay myself. You can order it up as a complete front assembly from eBay, and it's a very easy job to change the whole thing over yourself, if you're reasonably confident about tackling things like that. Just make sure it's described as 'Genuine Samsung', and not 'Samsung panel genuine for i9505' or suchlike. If it's described as 'Genuine Samsung', then you have comeback of its not.

I've fixed a good few phones though, and all the times I've ordered parts as I've described above, it has been the real deal. It's pretty easy to tell the fake front glass panels.

Changing the front glass only with hairdryer etc is a sh!tty job, but changing a whole front panel which has the chrome effect plastic trim piece, AMOLED, touch sensor, and front glass already assembled is a piece of p!ss...
Last edited by knuckles1978; 29th December 2014 at 03:26 PM.
29th December 2014, 06:12 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 5

21 posts
I would totally recommend just getting it fixed... plenty of tutorials online to follow. Watch a few of them and see if it is something you are comfortable doing yourself. I've done it and found it to be quite simple. But, it all depends on your comfort level with repairing things...
30th December 2014, 01:52 AM |#6  

1,222 posts
I think getting it fixed is the idea, yes lol

I was saying though that since it's the whole thing that is broken and needs changed, and not just the front glass, the job is much easier. It's just a case of taking a few screws out and swapping the whole front assembly. On a difficulty rating out of 10 I give it a 4

If you watch a couple of videos on YouTube first, and you take it nice and carefully, I'd say this is a job that most people could handle.
Last edited by knuckles1978; 30th December 2014 at 01:58 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread