Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,462 Members 42,424 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unable to Root (Write Protection Enabled)

Tip us?

Saenic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default [Q] Unable to Root (Write Protection Enabled)

Hey there,

I got my Galaxy S4 and I wanted to install CWM and custom Roms. Because the phone is fresh there is no custom recovery to install zips with and I don't want to use strange rooting methods. I put the phone into download mode, started Odin, selected a CWM_<...>.tar as PDA and pressed Start. The flashing seemingly went well but I can't enter the recovery with power + home + volume up. The phone tries to launch it but then just shows the battery icon you see when charging it while its off.

I went back into download mode and noticed there was a message saying "Write Protection: Enable". Whats this supposed to mean? Can't I use Odin? Do I need to unlock the bootloader or something like that? Thats what I had to do on my HTC Desire but when I installed a custom recovery on my brothers Galaxy S3 I could just use Odin.

Here's a screenshot of the download mode.
At least my Knox is still on... yeah...

Lennyz1988
Old
Thanks Meter 222
If you only try to flash the recovery:

Then uncheck auto-reboot before flashing.
Current:

Samsung Galaxy S 4 I9505 | WanamLite v3.0

Retired:

Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 : AOKP 4.2.1
HTC Touch Pro2 | ROM: Valkyrie 6.5.23115TR2.5
HTC HD2 | DarkStone1337 [FroyoStone Sense - V3.2]
HTC Desire : Oxygen v2.1.3

Zaraee
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saenic View Post
Hey there,

I got my Galaxy S4 and I wanted to install CWM and custom Roms. Because the phone is fresh there is no custom recovery to install zips with and I don't want to use strange rooting methods. I put the phone into download mode, started Odin, selected a CWM_<...>.tar as PDA and pressed Start. The flashing seemingly went well but I can't enter the recovery with power + home + volume up. The phone tries to launch it but then just shows the battery icon you see when charging it while its off.

I went back into download mode and noticed there was a message saying "Write Protection: Enable". Whats this supposed to mean? Can't I use Odin? Do I need to unlock the bootloader or something like that? Thats what I had to do on my HTC Desire but when I installed a custom recovery on my brothers Galaxy S3 I could just use Odin.

Here's a screenshot of the download mode.
At least my Knox is still on... yeah...

turn off your phone, pull out the charger before enter recovery mode or you need to press power + home + volume up key for 8 second then it reboot to recovery