No registration required

Glass screen protector affecting proximity sensor

OP griffin_1

16th January 2015, 11:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 27

322 posts
Hi,
I ordered a nilkin glass protector and everything seemed good, but i started experiencing a problem with the proximity sensor. With the glass protector on it would always detect it as being covered, so when i started a call the screen would turn off and wouldn't turn on when i backed away from the ear and i had to press the home button and the end the call.

I entered in the test menu(#*0*#) and the results confirmed that the sensor always "thought" that it was covered. I ended up removing it but i would like to add the extra protection to the glass.

The glass protector is a full front(except a bit on the speaker) glass protector, similar to the one from zagg, but i don't see many people reporting this issue, with any brand( even reviews from the nilkin glass).
Could it be an issue with the screen protector itself or a problem with the sensor?
Is there a workaround for it?

Thanks!
Last edited by griffin_1; 16th January 2015 at 11:14 PM.
19th January 2015, 02:24 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin_1

Could it be an issue with the screen protector itself or a problem with the sensor?
Is there a workaround for it?

Thanks!

Tried that test with a generic glass screen protector and the prox sensor worked OK.
19th January 2015, 04:23 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

322 posts
I don't have a generic film screen protector to test =/ I had the one that came with the phone for a while and it worked fine but that one had a big cutout for the sensors and this one didn't. I'm thinking I got a defective one with the cutout not big enough because from pictures on the website it did had a bigger cutout for the sensors.
I contacted the seller and he is sending me a new one, let's see.
I just didn't think that having that thin glass in front of it would make that much difference, especially since it's transparent and I thought the proximity sensor measured light and that wouldn't make a difference
25th January 2015, 03:29 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

15 posts
More
This is not a normal problem, but yes one that does exist. I haven't handled many personally, the reps in the front just swap them out. I do believe there was one instance where we put multiple ones on the same phone and it kept having issues. No issue without the glass, put the glass on, sensor didn't work.
25th January 2015, 11:32 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

322 posts
I guess the actual sensor can't be covered, even if its a layer of thin transparent glass and needs those cutouts free. I only recently realized that(my previous s3 isn't that picky, it has a a thick glass protector on it now and the sensor still works well) but the seller sent me a new one and im hopping the one i got first just had some kind of production problem with the wrong cutouts because from the photos i have seen online from the product (its a nilkin amazing h+ btw) it shows the cutouts on that area and i really need a screen protector.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread