Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more

Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more

[Q] video out of headphone jack S5

OP A7mag3ddon

23rd October 2014, 03:55 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

46 posts
Does anyone know if the s5 has video out on the braphone jack like old galaxy s devices?

I need a solution to get composite audio and video to a projector. Projector has DVI / svideo / composite/ VGA.

Any ideas? I have seen mhl to hdmi which are cheap but then I would have to convert to dvi and loose audio and run a separate cable.
Last edited by A7mag3ddon; 23rd October 2014 at 09:38 PM.
Yesterday, 11:04 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 103

655 posts
No but there is MHL to VGA adapters you can buy from eBay etc.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400785524940
Last edited by Michael_P; Yesterday at 11:06 AM.
Yesterday, 11:21 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

46 posts
But that's audio only.
Yesterday, 11:26 AM   |  #4  
OP Member

46 posts
I found thus that might do the trick and doesn't need any external power.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...511743&alt=web
Yesterday, 11:37 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

46 posts
Oh actually just looked again and there's an audio out socket on the aide of the VGA.
Yesterday, 03:52 PM   |  #6  

655 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mag3ddon

I found thus that might do the trick and doesn't need any external power.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...511743&alt=web

Says in the description you get video but you can't get audio out of that using S3/4/5 etc. Probably because of the newer MHL standard.
Yesterday, 04:04 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

46 posts
Perhaps they mean on the older phones? The description says AV cable. The A standing for audio and V standing for video. If it doesn't do audio then the item is not as described. I have just queried this with him. You can't have a title saying AV then in the last line if the small print say doesn't support audio.

Does that mean that the mhl to HDMI doesn't carry audio either?
Yesterday, 04:14 PM   |  #8  

655 posts
Quote:

Perhaps they mean on the older phones? The description says AV cable. The A standing for audio and V standing for video. If it doesn't do audio then the item is not as described. I have just queried this with him. You can't have a title saying AV then in the last line if the small print say doesn't support audio.

Does that mean that the mhl to HDMI doesn't carry audio either?

It means it works with audio and video on older devices using the original MHL, but S3/4/5 etc use MHL2.0 with different pinout and that's why you need an adapter, but maybe something about that RCA cable can't use the audio for whatever reason.
But as long as you use that little adapter you can use any MHL to HDMI with audio.
Last edited by Michael_P; Yesterday at 04:17 PM.
Yesterday, 04:17 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

46 posts
Just checked my MHL version is 2.1 hopefully they will clear it up. If that is the case can't I just use audio out the headphone jack and video from the mhl phonos? Pain in th ass from a wiring point if view but should still work.
Yesterday, 04:26 PM   |  #10  

655 posts
Quote:

Just checked my MHL version is 2.1 hopefully they will clear it up. If that is the case can't I just use audio out the headphone jack and video from the mhl phonos? Pain in th ass from a wiring point if view but should still work.

Yeah that'll work but audio quality won't be as good, but I guess it's the only way unless you buy a HDMI to RCA converter, but that means plugging 2 separate adapters into the phone and even more hassle.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread