Would you buy a Sapphire Screen Protector for the S5?

OP noo7na7

8th July 2014, 04:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

8 posts
More
Alot of people are talking about the iPhone 6 having a Sapphire Screen, if you want the Sapphire Screen on your S5, your wish has been granted.
An unkown Screen Protector brand called: "Aero-Gear" with the slogan: "Born from Aerospace" has advertized a screen protector called: "Flight Glass SX" housing the Sapphire Crystal material, and they have been doing it for several months, right now they are taking preorders for the Galaxy S5 Protector. They have been showing people the durability of the Sapphire screen for a while, from hitting an iPhone with a razor blade, to sliding a concrete block over it, no scratches or cracks and it's easier to wipe the dust than the regular Gorilla Glass Screen. Here are the videos:
8th July 2014, 04:52 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 26

176 posts
More
maybe i would have to see some real world stuff, ive seen alot of this done to Gorilla glass before and we all know how something like sand can still scratch it.
8th July 2014, 04:57 AM   |  #3  
Olympia, WA
Thanks Meter: 73

165 posts
More
I checked the website and at 0.6mm this is really thick, A credit card is 0.76mm for comparison.
Glass protectors are generally 0.015mm to 0.4mm. I'd think a 0.6mm glass one would be pretty dang tough also.

I'd be concerned with case fit/interference for the slimmest cases at that thickness; anyone gonna go for one?
8th July 2014, 03:42 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedswine

maybe i would have to see some real world stuff, ive seen alot of this done to Gorilla glass before and we all know how something like sand can still scratch it.

Gorilla Glass is 7H in Mohs Hardness, sand I think is 9H, meaning that Sand could scratch whatever below it. Sapphire Crystal is 10H they claim, meaning that sand can't scratch it. For the real life test, skip to 1:42 in this video:
8th July 2014, 05:43 PM   |  #5  
Flag South Carolina
Thanks Meter: 14

168 posts
More
When are they going to be shipped? I'll wait until I read some reviews on it. I have a Zagg Glass on my S5, and a otterbox defender soon to be swapped out for a Kraken and maybe a Zerolemon. seems pretty thick like delawaredrew is saying, I'd like to see it on a s5 and in a bunch of cases for compatibility.
8th July 2014, 06:09 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostcamed302

When are they going to be shipped? I'll wait until I read some reviews on it. I have a Zagg Glass on my S5, and a otterbox defender soon to be swapped out for a Kraken and maybe a Zerolemon. seems pretty thick like delawaredrew is saying, I'd like to see it on a s5 and in a bunch of cases for compatibility.

Probably in a couple of days it will ship. The design covers the camera, sensors, recent apps and back button, and has a cutout for the speaker grill and home button. It is a bit thick, but you won't notice the thickness. I may post my own review for the protector.
8th July 2014, 06:47 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 26

176 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by noo7na7

Gorilla Glass is 7H in Mohs Hardness, sand I think is 9H, meaning that Sand could scratch whatever below it. Sapphire Crystal is 10H they claim, meaning that sand can't scratch it. For the real life test, skip to 1:42 in this video:

i can see by that video that that screen protector is hugely thick, compared to the tempored one i have, its also not cheap at 53$ on amazon for the iphone 5 version, thats just too expensive i can buy 5-10 tempored glass screen protectors for the same price.
8th July 2014, 06:59 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedswine

i can see by that video that that screen protector is hugely thick, compared to the tempored one i have, its also not cheap at 53$ on amazon for the iphone 5 version, thats just too expensive i can buy 5-10 tempored glass screen protectors for the same price.

That's the simulated screen protector, the real screen protector is much thinner, besides that, I don't care about the price.
Tempered Glass gets scratched by sand and sapphire does not.
This is how thin the sapphire protector is: prntscr.com/40ohyt
8th July 2014, 11:14 PM   |  #9  
Flag South Carolina
Thanks Meter: 14

168 posts
More
But will the sapphire screen protector fit with a case? My zagg glass fits my defender and Kraken case fine.
9th July 2014, 02:29 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 41

142 posts
More
just have a look at a Rolex or a tag both have sapphire glass if you are looking for real world appeal of you will find many 15 to 20 year old Rolex's with beat up casings and the glass is immaculate

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread