[Q] Rooting a Galaxy S 5 purchased via Docomo in Japan

Search This thread

martin_tokyo

Jun 17, 2012
Hello XDA Forum,

I just purchased a Galaxy S5, SC 04F, from Docomo in Japan, with Android version 4.4.2.

I would like to root it, primarily to get rid of all the bloatware that can't be uninstalled. Also so that I can use Titanium Backup to carry over apps and data from my last phone (A Galaxy S2), and maybe some other things.

At first it seemed like this might be super easy. I saw that it was possible to root a phone using the "Towelroot" app, so I downloaded it and ran it, but it says that "This device is not supported". It seems to only work for phones offered by Sprint, Horizon, and maybe other carriers.

I looked around, and if the Towelroot approach can't be used, the situation seems to get complicated, which brings me here. I saw some mention of possible ways of rooting the phone, but there was some mention of losing features, like the digital wallet ("O-saifu"). However, it was unclear, because some information was in Japanese, and while I can read some Japanese, the combination of technical jargon and Japanese goes beyond me.

I'd like to get a concise answer, if possible, on whether or not this phone can be rooted, and if so, are there any possible down sides.

If anyone can help me know what the options are with this particular phone, I'd be very grateful. Thank you for any response.

Top Liked Posts