FORUMS

I/O Summary: How Android M Handles Power And Charging

In the spirit of improving the core Android experience, Google is changing Android … more

I/O Summary: Google Photos App

At I/O 2015, Google tackled the information problem in mobile once more, this time through … more

I/O Summary: Development, Play Store, The Next Billion

VP of Engineering Jen Fitzpatrick began talking about what Google is doing to … more

I/O Summary: Google Now on Tap

Google is all about organizing the world’s information to make it universally useful, and these … more

|Unlocked Bootloader-Cricket-G900[AZ]| |Flashing, roms, etc.| Discussion |

Thanks Meter: 196

By Swimguy14, Senior Member on 16th February 2015, 02:47 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
This thread started out as a shout-out to inform people that the bootloader on crickets variant (900az) of the s5 is not locked down, in contrast to the s5 (900a) sold by AT&T(parent company of cricket).

-more to come-
Last edited by Swimguy14; 16th April 2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: in the process of cleaning&clarifying op
The Following User Says Thank You to Swimguy14 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

16th February 2015, 08:39 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Really!!!!!!!! Awesome!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimguy14

If you have a cricket s5, and thought it was just like the crippled g900a from att....It's not!

Maybe there is a God after all[emoji6]

I have a brand new cricket S5 purchased just this week on the new cricket gsm network. are you sure the bootloader is unlocked? What custom recovery are you using, what rom? Are you able to install custom kernels too? Can we install any gsm rom for the S5 from the forums? i reall want to be able to install the new lollipop on this device. I sent you a PM as well. thanks swes013

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swes013

I have a brand new cricket S5 purchased just this week on the new cricket gsm network. are you sure the bootloader is unlocked? What custom recovery are you using, what rom? Are you able to install custom kernels too? Can we install any gsm rom for the S5 from the forums? i reall want to be able to install the new lollipop on this device. I sent you a PM as well. thanks swes013

What Recovery can we install on this?? We accomplish this through Odin correct??
17th February 2015, 12:51 AM |#3  

More
Quote:

If you have a cricket s5, and thought it was just like the crippled g900a from att....It's not!

Are you around?? Can you confirm this for me? Can I install a custom recovery versus safestrap on my phone?? Using Odin?
17th February 2015, 01:54 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:

Can anyone confirm this?

I used to have a bootloader unlocked S5 (t-mobile). I got rid of it and got a Cricket device recently.

The Cricket ROM is arleady one of the least bloated ROMs I have used. I tried the Galaxy S5 Lollipop ROMs (TW and CM12) and none of them were really any better than the stock for me. Seems like I have better service on my current device/ROM than I used to get on the T-mobile one and certainly has less FC's. Actually, the only thing I miss from it is the the ability to tether.

I just like to have the option if I would choose to take it later. : )
Last edited by neatojones; 17th February 2015 at 02:09 AM.
17th February 2015, 03:10 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag pnw

More
First since I was in disbelief I just flashed ktoonsez tw 4.4 kernel to the tw ROM I was using (unity). Rebooted and sure enough it worked without a hitch. So I downloaded "fusion" ROM based off 5.0.2 lollipop and to my delight it works 100%... It's literally like I was reunited with a long lost friend (jk, sorta) but it's not buggy at all and I've had zero issues the last 24 hours.

Have you rooted it yet? Download towelroot and get er rooted
https://towelroot.com/tr.apk

Then install supersu and update the su binaries, reboot
Might as well install busybox, I don't know whether or not its necessary but I had it installed on mine

Then Install this: https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...Ht_xSfZRhz1ErQ

This app just needs a couple pointers , it installs twrp. Odin not necessary.

Grant it superuser permission and then click "install twrp" from slide out menu

Your device is "klte"

Get the newest non-g version, I believe 2.8.5.0
It will download&install,
Now your set

sent from my lollipop'd S5
Last edited by Swimguy14; 17th February 2015 at 03:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swimguy14 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2015, 04:27 AM |#6  

More
Talking so far twrp is working.
Quote:

First since I was in disbelief I just flashed ktoonsez tw 4.4 kernel to the tw ROM I was using (unity). Rebooted and sure enough it worked without a hitch. So I downloaded "fusion" ROM based off 5.0.2 lollipop and to my delight it works 100%... It's literally like I was reunited with a long lost friend (jk, sorta) but it's not buggy at all and I've had zero issues the last 24 hours.

Have you rooted it yet? Download towelroot and get er rooted
https://towelroot.com/tr.apk

Then install supersu and update the su binaries, reboot
Might as well install busybox, I don't know whether or not its necessary but I had it installed on mine

Then Install this: https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...Ht_xSfZRhz1ErQ

This app just needs a couple pointers , it installs twrp. Odin not necessary.

Grant it superuser permission and then click "install twrp" from slide out menu

Your device is "klte"

Get the newest non-g version, I believe 2.8.5.0
It will download&install,
Now your set

So far so good. I installed the twrp app from the playstore as you said. I had already rooted with towelroot. However I had also relagated to using the safestrap as most other sm900az users have also believing that their cricket bootloader was too in fact locked. I can confirm that the twrp app from the playstore does in fact install twrp latest version and work. I am downloading the fusion lollipop version rom in the unified development thread. First I am going to manually debloat my stock system rom with my root explorer getting rid of all knox and cricket bloatware as well as any unwanted system apps. Once I have that stable and booting without any errors or force closes then i will boot to twrp and make a backup. Next i will try and restore the backup and test it. Once that all goes well without a hitch i will try the fusion rom to see if i get all the same results. I am going to replicate step by step to be sure and confirm working status for all cricket sm900AZ users. So far though it is legit and works flawlessly. I will report back by tomorrow noon central time.

thanks for all your help and involvement.

swes013
17th February 2015, 04:48 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag pnw

More
I tested that as well..
I had to restore my tw4.4.2backup because the first time i used twrp to flash the aosp lollipop Rom, (( I believe I had accidentally installed an older version of twrp&)) I was unable to get past "unfortunately, setup has stopped"
So i had to get my phone working again, so that I could update twrp... I had a computer available but wanted to 100% do it on the phone so that I'd know for sure whether or not everything is working with backing up /restoring etc.

When you restore the stock backup, naturally it will restore safestrap along with the rom.
After I updated to the latest version of twrp, and before rebooting to recovery to reinstall fusion, I did open the safestrap app to uninstall the safestrap recovery.
I dont believe that was necessary but i figured I'd do it just in case.

Also, when in twrp, click on mounts and then "disable mtp" otherwise you won't be able to write to /system

i didnt even have to add the apn, lollipop found it for me.
Last edited by Swimguy14; 17th February 2015 at 04:55 AM.
17th February 2015, 04:54 AM |#8  

More
So we can install pretty much any of the roms in the unified dev section as long as they are for our klte?? I love to experiment with lots of different roms. i just love exploring, testing, and searching for potential bugs/exploits.
17th February 2015, 05:19 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag pnw

More
I'd imagine so. Our phone is technically the klteaio. I think as long as the Rom is for the qualcomm chip and not exynos, then theoretically it should work.

Is there a better place this info could be posted?

17th February 2015, 03:10 PM |#10  

More
[QUOTE=Swimguy14;58899890]I'd imagine so. Our phone is technically the klteaio. I think as long as the Rom is for the qualcomm chip and not exynos, then theoretically it should work.

Is there a better place this info could be posted?

sent from my lollipop'd S5[/QUOTE
Okay i did the jump and I am on Lollipop. My problem now is i guess when I flashed the new rom and lost my root. My question is now that I am on LOllipop should i use chainfires cf autoroot?? Since towelroot no longer works on my rom. Or should i put safestrap back on restore my original stock backup with 4.4.2 pre june build with towelroot working and try and preserve root from there to the new Lollipop rom?? What do you guys think??]
The Following User Says Thank You to swes013 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread