Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,105 Members 52,335 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] Enable on-screen Navigation Bar

Tip us?

anthonytnguyen268
Old
(Last edited by anthonytnguyen268; 16th August 2014 at 05:25 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [HOW TO] Enable on-screen Navigation Bar

Before you start, you will need root access...
This method will work on any Android device that doesn't have an on-screen Navigation Bar...

Step 1: If you don't have it, download Root Browser..
Step 2: Once you open the app, slide down until you see a folder named "system" with an icon that consist of a moniter in front of a folder...
Step 3: Open that folder and slide down until you see a document named "build.prop"...
Step 4: Once you click the document, it will prompt you to open it with a certain app... click "RB Text Editor"...
Step 5: Slide all the way to the bottom of the document and under the last line, (which would probably say something like "ro.gps.agps_provider=1") type in "qemu.hw.mainkeys=0"...
Step 6: Once typed in click the save button on the top header... (Then it might prompt you to grant root access from either SuperSU or Superuser, if it does, click grant else the document won't save)...
Step 7: Reboot your phone...

Hope this Tutorial helped you guys out...! Leave a comment below if your having troubles getting the on-screen Navigation Bar...
If this tutorial help you, please hit the "Thanks" button because that really helps me... Thanks!

Galaxy_Guy
Old
Thanks Meter 137
will this nav bar be like android L nav bar icons or the standard icons in the kitkat or jellybean

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Current device: Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F
Press Thanks if i helped you
Old device(sold): Samsung Galaxy Ace

http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic4653153_5.gif

-PiLoT-
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 1023

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy_Guy View Post
will this nav bar be like android L nav bar icons or the standard icons in the kitkat or jellybean

why would it be like the android l preview when its kit kat on the phone?

by the way OP. do you know what lines to # to disable hardware keys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridaki View Post
it's about time we stop whining about how "our old phones lasted a week even if we were playing Snake all day" and adopt new charging habits.
MTP not working?, dont follow this advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by espionage724 View Post
The MTP device appears whether or not my ADB drivers are installed, and whether or not Android USB Debugging is enabled. Not sure what else I could suggest to get yours working other then a fresh (non-OEM) re-install of Windows.

Galaxy_Guy
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by -PiLoT- View Post
why would it be like the android l preview when its kit kat on the phone?

by the way OP. do you know what lines to # to disable hardware keys?
android L nav bar icons (soft keys) are much prettier than the kitkat nav bar icons (for me)

Current device: Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F
Press Thanks if i helped you
Old device(sold): Samsung Galaxy Ace

http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic4653153_5.gif

*elmo*
Old
Thanks Meter 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonytnguyen268 View Post
Before you start, you will need root access...
This method will work on any Android device that doesn't have an on-screen Navigation Bar...

Step 1: If you don't have it, download Root Browser..
Step 2: Once you open the app, slide down until you see a folder named "system" with an icon that consist of a moniter in front of a folder...
Step 3: Open that folder and slide down until you see a document named "build.prop"...
Step 4: Once you click the document, it will prompt you to open it with a certain app... click "RB Text Editor"...
Step 5: Slide all the way to the bottom of the document and under the last line, (which would probably say something like "ro.gps.agps_provider=1") type in "qemu.hw.mainkeys=0"...
Step 6: Once typed in click the save button on the top header... (Then it might prompt you to grant root access from either SuperSU or Superuser, if it does, click grant else the document won't save)...
Step 7: Reboot your phone...

Hope this Tutorial helped you guys out...! Leave a comment below if your having troubles getting the on-screen Navigation Bar...
If this tutorial help you, please hit the "Thanks" button because that really helps me... Thanks!
Can you attach the screen shot? Thanks

anthonytnguyen268
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
To get this all understood, the Navigation Bar will be stock... but you can customize it.. to learn more about how to customize it, head over to this thread... http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...wdotz-t2514238
The Following User Says Thank You to anthonytnguyen268 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

-PiLoT-
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 1023

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellscythe View Post
The correct way to answer his question is "No, it will be the Kitkat buttons because our device is Kitkat"
i wasnt answering a question i was asking one.

Why would they look like the android L preview softkeys when its kitkat on the phone. i want to know why he thinks theyd be different

also stop stalking me
Quote:
it's about time we stop whining about how "our old phones lasted a week even if we were playing Snake all day" and adopt new charging habits.

Quote:
The MTP device appears whether or not my ADB drivers are installed, and whether or not Android USB Debugging is enabled. Not sure what else I could suggest to get yours working other then a fresh (non-OEM) re-install of Windows.

-PiLoT-
Old
(Last edited by ronnie498; 18th August 2014 at 01:13 AM.) Reason: Mod Edit
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 1023

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellscythe View Post
Mod Edit
no, he asked a question. i didnt answer his question because i genuinely wanted to know the answer to another question

does anyone know numbers for the capactive button file?
Quote:

Quote:

ronnie498
Old
(Last edited by ronnie498; 18th August 2014 at 01:14 AM.)
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2209
Mod Edit

Thread Cleaned - reminder to stay on topic.

ronnie498
Forum Moderator