Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,110 Members 42,089 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Longest batterylife (8 times longer) information! *Easy, takes 30 seconds to learn*

Tip us?

kgyirhj
Old
(Last edited by kgyirhj; 8th September 2014 at 07:59 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Battery Full Longest batterylife (8 times longer) information! *Easy, takes 30 seconds to learn*

If the battery is only charged to about 75% it will last about 8 times more discharge cycles then if it was charged to 100% every time. Which is pretty damn much!

100% charge gives 350-400 Discharge cycles.
75% charge gives 2400-4000 Discharge cycles.

Source and good read with more tips how to treat your battery good:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

I don't know of any app or kernel that does this automatically, if you know or can program one please update this thread.

Meanwhile we have to just unplug charger by ourselves at around 70-75%

Please press thanks and write a reply what you think if this information was usefull to you!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kgyirhj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Safe0716
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Well, if it's true, it's a huge improvement for only 25%, we can perfectly last a full day with 75% of battery
CURRENT DEVICES:
DEVICE: Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F Black
ROM: [COLOR="blue"]XtreStoLite 1.3.3 by edgarf28
KERNEL: Faux123 build 006 by faux123
MODEM: G900FXXU1ANG2
RECOVERY: PhilZ Touch by Phil3759

DEVICE: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T315 White
ROM: Stock one
KERNEL: Stock one
MODEM: T315XXUAMG3
RECOVERY: Stock one

OLD DEVICES:
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Apple iPhone 4
Sony Xperia S - Commtiva Z71
Sony Ericsson W880i - And some others...

jeff_roey
Old
Thanks Meter 51
This is really good battery info. Thanks.

My personal view on the matter is for 15 bucks, I'd rather pick up a replacement battery a year or two from now when I may need it and just replace the cell rather than work to keep my phone charged closer to 75 percent every day in order to see some of the par-charge benefit the article discusses. I'm not suggesting that should be your position.

Based on how I use my phone, starting nearly every day closer to 75 percent than a full charge, I'm guaranteed to run to shutdown many more days than I would if I accumulated the expected number of full cycles. There's enough indicators to tip you off when you reach end-of-life on your cell: you usually see very significant shortened battery life and/or big cliffs in useage like draining evenly say between 100 and 78 percent and then going from 78 to 60, and then even depletion again usually indicates cells failing. Point is batteries don't go from good to bad overnight.

My perspective after just very recently moving into an S5 from a RAZR Maxx that required a good bit of phone disassembly to get to that battery, picking up a $15.00 replacement and keeping my battery topped off is the way to go.

brees75
Old
Thanks Meter 323
I have never had to replace a phone battery, they have always lasted until I upgrade. Great read but it seems the author was mainly referring to laptop batteries.
Android Aggression ROM Dev

Galaxy S5 (SM-G900T)
Nexus 7
Nexus 10

jdock
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgyirhj View Post
If the battery is only charged to about 75% it will last about 8 times more discharge cycles then if it was charged to 100% every time. Which is pretty damn much!

100% charge gives 350-400 Discharge cycles.
75% charge gives 2400-4000 Discharge cycles.

Source and good read with more tips how to treat your battery good:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
Be careful with info from batteryuniversity.com. It is largely geared towards engineers using raw cells, not users of consumer devices. This leads to people making incorrect assumptions. For example you may read there about the dangers of discharging Li-ion cells too far. But your device probably (if the engineers have any brains) already builds in some buffer, and shuts off/refuses to power on if it's a safe level above that. It's hard for us to know what levels Samsung considers empty and full in comparison to the actual cells.

I'm not saying this is bad advice, just that it may not really make that much of a difference in reality, and it's tough to do in practice.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdock For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kriomag
Old
Thanks Meter 69
my girlfriends S3 is 2 years old now and battery lasts still the same long as it was new.
TXT-Blaster

Galaxy S4 I9505

yahyoh
Old
Thanks Meter 1,878
i think phones anyway doesn't charge the battery to 100% full capacity or even let it discharge to 0%
Gnote2 Rom: XXUFNE1 kernel: Stock
Galaxy S2 ROM: XWMS3 4.1.2 Kernel: Stock
MOTO G ROM : 4.4.4 Kernel :stock