Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,971 Members 44,618 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Should Samsung ditch touchwiz?

Tip us?

Sparatan117
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi90210 View Post
ya but samsung still has to warranty it, what if your custom software breaks the camera and because there are the drivers out there, you think your phone has a problem
No that's my point. If they provided the drivers only and just released the stock AOSP then they would know their own code, but we could be getting an un-altered ... essentially Google Play Edition GS5, but not having to pay the full price for it. We all know that Google is making at least 20% off that GPE anyways... why not just release it's code.

Hellscythe
Old
Thanks Meter 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparatan117 View Post
Honestly they should give out the software as a factory thing, but make the stock AOSP available on their website with all the drivers and junk included. That way people who wanted the stock experience could have that, and people who wanted the TW experience could have that. It would honestly be the best of both worlds.
And tell me why they would be willing to post up proprietary sources and drivers and binaries and other crap just so a bunch of people can get AOSP on their device? not to mention that Samsung isn't the only body that needs to participate, but qualcomm and every other company that was involved in the development of the device too. The companies don't want to do that and it is very understandable why they would not want to do that.
Previous devices:

HTC Incredible S S710e

Sony Xperia Z C6603

Current devices:

Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900I

Tomo1971
Old
Thanks Meter 82
I bought a xperia z2 which is closer to stock and used it for a few days

The more I used it the more of touchwiz I missed.

I had to install a dialler to get the swipe to call/message... Install a new sms app so I could block numbers... And didnt like their implementation of the swipe down for quick settings at all.

I think on the whole, touchwiz does bring some handy features that most people will like and use. Unfortunately it does also bring along some tat that maybe less people will use...