Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

samsung galaxy s5 charging time. 2.0(micro usb) 3.0 cable

OP yash kariya

6th September 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 65

394 posts
More
Usb 2 unfortunately.
8th September 2014, 12:19 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 19

148 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ18uk

Usb 2 unfortunately.

the cable doesnt make any difference its the charger that needs to be higher
25th September 2014, 06:58 PM   |  #13  
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 4

30 posts
More
It's the charger that should be shorting out the data lines, not the cable. I would think that a cable that did this would pose a risk that, if inadvertently used to connect a phone to a regular USB port instead of a charger, could cause the phone to think it can draw more power than the port can safely provide, and subsequently overload and damage the USB hub.

Whereas a charger that shorts out the data lines can be used with any standard USB cable.

Maximum power ratings are a different matter, though. AFAIK, standard USB 2.0 connectors only need to be rated at 1.5A current to be compliant, but charging ports and cables (i.e. those compliant with the Battery Charging Specification) need to be rated to handle at least 5A - although, this is in spite of the maximum draw of 1.5A anyway.
26th September 2014, 07:16 PM   |  #14  
Flag Tehran
Thanks Meter: 8

113 posts
with USB 3.0 and standard charger reached battery from 12 percent to 92 about 80 min
I've heard about 20% charging difference and I think it's true
26th September 2014, 09:20 PM   |  #15  
Flag CA 916
Thanks Meter: 7

120 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahdian57

with USB 3.0 and standard charger reached battery from 12 percent to 92 about 80 min
I've heard about 20% charging difference and I think it's true

This is about what I get with my supplied wall charger and cable. Its nice being able to use the phone and still get a charge at the same time. My Nexus 5 would only maintain a charge level and not gain any charge when being used.

One day last week I forgot my spare battery and had to use my mini USB cable I have at work connected to my computer and it took most of the day to go from 15% to full charge. The S5 has the best battery life out of any phone I've had so far but I wish they would release 4.4.4 for us as I saw a noticeable improvement in battery life with my Nexus 5 when i put 4.4.4 on it.
Last edited by bmwjnky; 26th September 2014 at 09:23 PM.
17th October 2014, 06:15 PM   |  #16  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
More
Info 2 USB 3.0 Charging
So as most of you have come to realize, there is no difference in the basic way that USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 cables carry current to the device. The extra pins in a 3.0 cable are for full duplex, (bi-directional data transfer) at really fast speeds, up to 4 GB/s.

USB output is rated at 5V. The output current from different brand computers might reach 600ma. The current is regulated to avoid overheating the cable and computer power supply. The extra twisted pair of wire in a USB 3.0 cable enable a bit more current handling... up to 900ma.

The reason your newer Samsung charges the device faster is that the new power adapter (mine is white) has a current output of 2.0 Amps. The older power adapters had a rated output of 750ma, 3/4 of an amp. Result.. The new power adapter system facilitates fast charging.

I'm guessing that they spec'd the higher output charger to match the higher power usage profiles of the latest Samsung Galaxy products. I remain a fan of slow to medium charging rates to preserve the life and charge cycles of the battery. High rates yield more heat which can shorten the life of the cell structure.

Hope this explanation helps.
Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisVe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread