FORUMS

HTC’s New Ad Campaign And What It Really Means

HTC has just released three new blind test adverts comparing app loading … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (June 27 – July 4)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

HTC One M9 Developer Edition Android 5.1 OTA

The Developer Edition of the HTC One M9 is receiving an over-the-air update to Android 5.1. … more

Index Project For XDA Device Subforums

Another ambitious project from the collaborative efforts of Recognized Contributors and Forum … more

samsung galaxy s5 charging time. 2.0(micro usb) 3.0 cable

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By yash kariya, Junior Member on 2nd August 2014, 06:55 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
1st February 2015, 03:47 PM |#51  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 254

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderc8

Never mind I quit... All I care is that with usb 3 I fully charge my phone g900f in 80-90 mind top where as with usb 2 I need almost 3 hours.
There is no point repeating the same thing on both sides.

I get these results as well using the same charger but different cables. It's weird that some S5s only came with a USB 2.0 cable. All the S5s I've purchased came with a USB 3.0 cable.

1st February 2015, 07:05 PM |#52  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Yeah I know if what the above people day is correct, and I think it is then my galaxy s5 doesn't like usb 2
2nd February 2015, 02:21 AM |#53  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 92

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglaboi

I have yet to see where the charging currents differ from usb 3.0 and 2.0
I plugged into a usb2.0 port and see 450mA current with Galaxy Charging Current app. Even when plugged into a usb3.0 port and selecting the usb3.0 in usb options on the phone it still charges with the same 450mA current.....
I don't have the wall charger with me but as far as I can see I'm not getting any difference in charging current...

That's not a reliable app for measuring current draw. Use battery monitor widget.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderc8

Yeah I know if what the above people day is correct, and I think it is then my galaxy s5 doesn't like usb 2

This is nonsense. Either your cable or charger are inadequate.

2nd February 2015, 01:13 PM |#54  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 276

More
Thumbs up
OK, I'm from Europe and my S5 came with USB 2.0. At first I thought, WTF NO FAIR, but then I noticed that it couldn't be better, My phone charges from almost 0% to 100% in around 2 hours. Let's not forget that the battery is large at 2800mah and charging it fully for 2 hours is just amazing! Stop worrying, love your phone
2nd February 2015, 06:29 PM |#55  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
With original plug and cable 2.0 supplied with s4, charges as fast as usb cable 3.0 that came with s5, at 1800 ma. No other usb 2.0 cables purchased come anywhere close.
PS. The only other micro usb 2.0 cable that I have also charges at 1800 ma is blackberry rapid charger (undetachable usb cable from the plugn, 6 feet long, 5v and 1.8amp output)
Last edited by Talex416; 2nd February 2015 at 07:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Talex416 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd February 2015, 12:18 AM |#56  
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talex416

With original plug and cable 2.0 supplied with s4, charges as fast as usb cable 3.0 that came with s5, at 1800 ma. No other usb 2.0 cables purchased come anywhere close.
PS. The only other micro usb 2.0 cable that I have also charges at 1800 ma is blackberry rapid charger (undetachable usb cable from the plugn, 6 feet long, 5v and 1.8amp output)

Spot on. Unfortunately some people on here don't understand that the quality and gauge of cables make the world of difference irrespective of the usb version. Some usb2 cables will perform better than usb3 cables and vice versa, completely depends on the gauge and quality of the cable itself, not the actual usb connection type.

3rd February 2015, 07:02 PM |#57  
Flag Paramaribo
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrex

Spot on. Unfortunately some people on here don't understand that the quality and gauge of cables make the world of difference irrespective of the usb version. Some usb2 cables will perform better than usb3 cables and vice versa, completely depends on the gauge and quality of the cable itself, not the actual usb connection type.

Agree completely......On my previous S3 when I used a chinese flimsy cable and charger (in cases where I didn't have my charger with me and had to use someone else's) it took hours to charge, sometimes overnight it didn't even reach 100%. But thicker cables did the job.....as did the original Samsung cable and charger....
The Following User Says Thank You to dglaboi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th June 2015, 08:55 PM |#58  
Flag milano
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi guys,
after reading this thread I decided to see what I colud come up with my S5
Here my results:
Charging with PC HP Envy: USB 2.0 450 mA
Charging with PC HP Envy: USB 3.0 450 mA (prior driver update)
Charging with Samsung wall Charger rated 1.5 A 1.200 mA
Charging with Samsung wall Charger rated 1.0 A 700 mA
Charging with PC HP Envy: USB 3.0 450 mA (after driver update)
All tests done with original samsung 2.0 cable came with the phone and a market 2.0 cable (thick) with no changes on the current delivered.
Conclusion: USB version has nothing to do with the current flow obtainable iif you use a 2.0 cable. I do not have a 3.0 cable handy therefore I can not test if the usb 3.0 door of my pc needs to recognize the device to be 3.0 in order to increase the current flow to the limit preview for the 3.0 devices.
I will buy a 3.0 cable and let you know.
Ciao from Italy
2nd July 2015, 08:22 PM |#59  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
While the 3.0 don't charge faster.. a good quality cable will charge faster than a bad one. Be it a 2.0 or 3.0 plug.
This is just my experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adam_ky For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 12:34 PM |#60  
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_ky

While the 3.0 don't charge faster.. a good quality cable will charge faster than a bad one. Be it a 2.0 or 3.0 plug.
This is just my experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

Exactly. I highly recommend buying anker usb cables. Thick gauge, high quality cables offering less resistance and more power delivery to the device. The other factor is cable length - the longer the cable = more voltage drop = less current.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread