This guide will help install the following Samsung Galaxy S5 parts:
- Samsung Galaxy S5 LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer Assembly
- Other Internal Components
- Plastic Triangle Opening Tool
- Small Phillips Screwdriver
- Plastic Opening Tools
- Nylon Spudger
- Fine Tip Curved Tweezers
- Precision Knife Set
- Heat Gun/Blow Dryer
STEP 1: Battery
- Insert the plastic opening tool in the notch in the back cover on the power button side of the Galaxy S5.
- Work your way around all sides gently freeing the clips to remove the back cover.
STEP 2: Battery (Continued)
- Next use the plastic opening tool to pry the battery up and out of the device.
STEP 3: Display Assembly (LCD & Touch Screen)
- The screen assembly (LCD & Touch Screen) of the Galaxy S5 is fused together and cannot be separated. The screen assembly is secured to the frame with adhesive. Heat will be required to loosen the adhesive to pry up the screen.
- This procedure is recommended only on smartphones with a damaged display assembly. Use a heat gun or blow dryer to heat the adhesive securing the display assembly to the smartphone’s frame/front-housing.
STEP 4: Display Assembly (LCD & Touch Screen) (Continued)
- Next, insert a precision knife in the seam between the screen assembly and frame. Separate the screen from the frame just enough to fit a plastic triangle opening tool into the gap.
STEP 5: Display Assembly (LCD & Touch Screen) (Continued)
- We recommend heating the adhesive using a hair dryer or heat gun along all sides of the screen then gently pry around all edges. Insert multiple triangle opening tools along the edges to keep the adhesive from coming back in contact with the frame.
STEP 6: Display Assembly (LCD & Touch Screen) (Continued)
- As you work your way around the home button be cautious of the ribbon cables on each side of the home button.
- Make sure you do not sever these connections or you may have to replace the S5 dock port assembly.
STEP 7: Display Assembly (LCD & Touch Screen) (Continued)
- Once all four sides of the display assembly are pryed away from the frame/front housing, use a nylon spudger to further separate the adhesive that secures the middle of the LCD to the housing.
STEP 8: Display Assembly (LCD & Touch Screen) (Continued)
- The home button assembly is secured with a small amount of adhesive. Use a nylon spudger to remove the home button assembly from the display assembly.
STEP 9: Display Assembly (LCD & Touch Screen) (Continued)
- Next, gently lift the bottom (home button side) of the Galaxy S5 display assembly away from the smartphone. Release the final connection using fine tip curved tweezers.
STEP 10: Display Assembly (LCD & Touch Screen) (Continued)
- Using a Small Phillips Screwdriver, locate and remove the ten small Phillips screws (#00) that secure the rear housing to the Galaxy S5 (circled in orange).
STEP 11: Display Assembly (LCD & Touch Screen) (Continued)
- Next, locate and remove the three small Phillips screws (#00) that secure the rear housing to the device (circled in orange).
STEP 12: Display Assembly (LCD & Touch Screen) (Continued)
- Next, release the series of clips that secure the front housing to the rear housing using fine tip curved tweezers.
- The series of clips are located near the earpiece speaker.
STEP 13: Display Assembly (LCD & Touch Screen) (Continued)
- Next, flip the Galaxy S5 over and release the series of clips circled in orange to separate the front and rear housing
STEP 14: Display Assembly (LCD & Touch Screen) (Continued)
- The front housing is snapped into the rear housing. Carefully lift out the front housing.
STEP 15: Headphone Jack & Flex Cable
- Next, locate the Galaxy S5 headphone jack’s flex cable connection.
- Utilize the fine tip curved tweezers to gently peel up the flex ribbon cable then remove the headphone jack from its location.
STEP 16: Home Button Assembly
- Next, locate the home button’s connection.
- Utilize the curved tweezers to peel up the ribbon cable to remove the home button assembly from its location.
STEP 17: Motherboard
- Use the Small Phillips Screwdriver to remove the two small Phillips screws (#00) that secure the Galaxy S5 motherboard (circled in orange).
- Next, find the coaxial cable plug. Utilize the fine tip curved tweezers to pry it from its connector (circled in white).
STEP 18: Motherboard (Continued)
- Gently lift the motherboard from the S5 housing (DO NOT COMPLETELY REMOVE).
- There is a connection for the dock connector assembly on the bottom of the motherboard. Use tweezers to gently release the connection.
- Now you can completely remove the motherboard from the Galaxy S5.
STEP 19: Rear-Facing Camera
- Next, locate and gently lift up the rear-facing camera from its location on the motherboard using a pry tool.
STEP 20: Front-Facing Camera
- Both the front-facing camera and rear-facing camera have an identical connection.
- Use a safe pry tool to gently lift up the front-facing camera from its location.
STEP 21: Dock Connector Assembly
- Gently lift and peel back the two cables for the bottom buttons.
- The dock connector assembly is secured in place with some adhesive. Use a nylon spudger to lift and remove the dock connector assembly from its location.
- Finally, re-assemble the Samsung Galaxy S5 by reversing the above steps.
Repairs Universe's guides are for informational purposes only. Repairs are done at your own risk.