Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more

Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more

Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more
Post Reply

[Start monitor your cores] - [tw dvfs issue]

OP ciprianruse88

21st August 2014, 10:26 AM   |  #11  
ciprianruse88's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Graceland
Thanks Meter: 9,641
 
4,434 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellscythe

Wanam Xposed has a DVFS disabler too, reckon that will work the same?

Also isn't DVFS implemented to prevent overheating of the device under stress? Could you explain why it would increase battery life if your CPU cores were fully "unleashed" without temperature throttling?

cheers

On my previous device (Note 3) disabling dvfs through wanam xposed didn't worked (some other users tested with the same result) . Temp throttle still works with dvfs off and as for battery life with dvfs on when all 4 cores get stuck online I get less with 1h and 30m on screen compared to dvfs off and also there is much more heat running with all 4 cores online so I used Note 3 with dvfs off from February till this month when I bought gs5 and had 0 issues with heat. I would also love if someone could start a petition for Samsung to disable dvfs because it causes more problems than it helps.
Last edited by ciprianruse88; 21st August 2014 at 11:18 AM.
21st August 2014, 11:50 AM   |  #12  
Account currently disabled
Flag straya kienttt
Thanks Meter: 473
 
1,816 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciprianruse88

On my previous device (Note 3) disabling dvfs through wanam xposed didn't worked (some other users tested with the same result) . Temp throttle still works with dvfs off and as for battery life with dvfs on when all 4 cores get stuck online I get less with 1h and 30m on screen compared to dvfs off and also there is much more heat running with all 4 cores online so I used Note 3 with dvfs off from February till this month when I bought gs5 and had 0 issues with heat. I would also love if someone could start a petition for Samsung to disable dvfs because it causes more problems than it helps.

I couldn't find any specifics when I googled it, sorry, but what is DVFS intended to do? It dynamically sets the voltage depending on CPU speed to save battery or something? :S
21st August 2014, 12:08 PM   |  #13  
ciprianruse88's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Graceland
Thanks Meter: 9,641
 
4,434 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellscythe

I couldn't find any specifics when I googled it, sorry, but what is DVFS intended to do? It dynamically sets the voltage depending on CPU speed to save battery or something? :S

I quote: "After that DVFS is completely disabled! Kernel can handle totally the power of cpu so the up/down scaling! Cpu and Gpu freq are not blocked anymore! The cpu and gpu are used based on tasks and not limited by crap samsung behaviour".
21st August 2014, 12:28 PM   |  #14  
egps2's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 303
 
575 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciprianruse88

I quote: "After that DVFS is completely disabled! Kernel can handle totally the power of cpu so the up/down scaling! Cpu and Gpu freq are not blocked anymore! The cpu and gpu are used based on tasks and not limited by crap samsung behaviour".

I remember on the galaxy S2 this was simply an app that could be disabled using most root tools! Fortunately I still get anywhere from 5-7 hours screen-on time on the S5 (brightness dependant) whether this bug is present or not. Does the cpu frequency still respond according to the governor? I noticed the S5 regularly increases the minimum cpu speed to about 1.1 Ghz (not 300 mhz). Does this behaviour remain with the mod? I'm just curious because with the great battery I'm happy to meed anything that improves smoothness.
26th August 2014, 05:21 PM   |  #15  
Kriomag's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Wrocław
Thanks Meter: 69
 
305 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciprianruse88

On my previous device (Note 3) disabling dvfs through wanam xposed didn't worked (some other users tested with the same result) . Temp throttle still works with dvfs off and as for battery life with dvfs on when all 4 cores get stuck online I get less with 1h and 30m on screen compared to dvfs off and also there is much more heat running with all 4 cores online so I used Note 3 with dvfs off from February till this month when I bought gs5 and had 0 issues with heat. I would also love if someone could start a petition for Samsung to disable dvfs because it causes more problems than it helps.

so what app do you use to disabla DVFS ? are there others than xposed module (by wanam) ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy S 5 General by ThreadRank