FORUMS

OnePlus Addresses Reservation List Cheating

Jake Cooper figured out how to bump his place up on OnePlus’ reservation list and … more

OnePlus 2 Benchmark Scores Show Its Muscle

This video by FoneArena contains all the popular benchmarks being tested on the OnePlus 2, … more

Sony’s Emergence in The Middle: Is The Price Right?

Sony’s Electronics Division is not in its best days, and its smartphone … more

HTC Delivering Ads Straight to Sense Home

HTC’s 2015 has been a year marked by a desperate search for revenue.The HTC One M9 … more

[Start monitor your cores] - [tw dvfs issue]

4,461 posts
Thanks Meter: 9,659

By ciprianruse88, Senior Member on 19th August 2014, 04:27 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
21st August 2014, 10:26 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Graceland

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellscythe

Wanam Xposed has a DVFS disabler too, reckon that will work the same?

Also isn't DVFS implemented to prevent overheating of the device under stress? Could you explain why it would increase battery life if your CPU cores were fully "unleashed" without temperature throttling?

cheers

On my previous device (Note 3) disabling dvfs through wanam xposed didn't worked (some other users tested with the same result) . Temp throttle still works with dvfs off and as for battery life with dvfs on when all 4 cores get stuck online I get less with 1h and 30m on screen compared to dvfs off and also there is much more heat running with all 4 cores online so I used Note 3 with dvfs off from February till this month when I bought gs5 and had 0 issues with heat. I would also love if someone could start a petition for Samsung to disable dvfs because it causes more problems than it helps.
Last edited by ciprianruse88; 21st August 2014 at 11:18 AM.

21st August 2014, 11:50 AM |#12  
Account currently disabled
Flag straya kienttt
Thanks Meter: 476

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciprianruse88

On my previous device (Note 3) disabling dvfs through wanam xposed didn't worked (some other users tested with the same result) . Temp throttle still works with dvfs off and as for battery life with dvfs on when all 4 cores get stuck online I get less with 1h and 30m on screen compared to dvfs off and also there is much more heat running with all 4 cores online so I used Note 3 with dvfs off from February till this month when I bought gs5 and had 0 issues with heat. I would also love if someone could start a petition for Samsung to disable dvfs because it causes more problems than it helps.

I couldn't find any specifics when I googled it, sorry, but what is DVFS intended to do? It dynamically sets the voltage depending on CPU speed to save battery or something? :S
21st August 2014, 12:08 PM |#13  
OP Senior Member
Flag Graceland

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellscythe

I couldn't find any specifics when I googled it, sorry, but what is DVFS intended to do? It dynamically sets the voltage depending on CPU speed to save battery or something? :S

I quote: "After that DVFS is completely disabled! Kernel can handle totally the power of cpu so the up/down scaling! Cpu and Gpu freq are not blocked anymore! The cpu and gpu are used based on tasks and not limited by crap samsung behaviour".
21st August 2014, 12:28 PM |#14  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 311

More
Quote:

I quote: "After that DVFS is completely disabled! Kernel can handle totally the power of cpu so the up/down scaling! Cpu and Gpu freq are not blocked anymore! The cpu and gpu are used based on tasks and not limited by crap samsung behaviour".

I remember on the galaxy S2 this was simply an app that could be disabled using most root tools! Fortunately I still get anywhere from 5-7 hours screen-on time on the S5 (brightness dependant) whether this bug is present or not. Does the cpu frequency still respond according to the governor? I noticed the S5 regularly increases the minimum cpu speed to about 1.1 Ghz (not 300 mhz). Does this behaviour remain with the mod? I'm just curious because with the great battery I'm happy to meed anything that improves smoothness.
26th August 2014, 05:21 PM |#15  
Flag Wrocław
Thanks Meter: 102

More
Quote:

so what app do you use to disabla DVFS ? are there others than xposed module (by wanam) ?
29th January 2015, 02:47 AM |#16  
Flag Melbourne

More
Has anyone noticed a difference on the new Lollipop firmware for either the S5 or the Note 3? Does this issue persist? All the 4.4.2 builds on my S5 seem to have this!
30th January 2015, 01:19 AM |#17  
Flag Central FL
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Any updates on this issue?

Is it actually SAFE to do this, as long as you are not Overclocking? Also, does this option in Wanam's Xposed module work for this now? Or still no?
30th January 2015, 02:13 AM |#18  
Flag Melbourne

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikaberdot

Any updates on this issue?

Is it actually SAFE to do this, as long as you are not Overclocking? Also, does this option in Wanam's Xposed module work for this now? Or still no?

I have seen no further updates and as far as I know it is safe, it simply transfers control from Samsung code to Qualcomm code. However, the Samsung thresholds for thermal throttling were lower which means that they can be seen as more 'protective' at the expense of reduced performance. I use "CPU Stats" in the notification bar to monitor the issue of cores not sleeping (and general CPU usage) but as far as I know there is no official fix available yet. I am also not sure about the Xposed module, did they say there was an update fixing it?
The Following User Says Thank You to egps2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread