[Q] Is the 16GB internal storage good enough for you?

OP tee00max

14th August 2014, 04:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 79

805 posts
More
So im an avid phone person as you can see from my signature and now am venturing with the S5 and actually love it so far suprisingly. What I wanted to know is how are you guys dealing with just having 16GB internal space? I think it is enough for the apps I use and since I have a 64Gb SD, there will be no media on my intneral. Just wanted to see everyone elses thougts on it.

I know back in the day you could move your apps to your SD with an app such as apps2sd but I know I saw rumors of Kit Kat killing this feature. Input?
14th August 2014, 07:28 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 65

394 posts
More
Without the external SD, I'd doubt 16GB would be enough. But like you say, my music is stored on the external; camera stores to external. And as long as you root and run sdfix app from Google Play, permissions are the same as before.

Google are still trying to push as many users as possible to cloud storage, which has its uses but I detest the fact they are trying to kill off external SD phones in doing so.
The Following User Says Thank You to russ18uk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th August 2014, 07:31 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Atlanta, GA

805 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ18uk

Without the external SD, I'd doubt 16GB would be enough. But like you say, my music is stored on the external; camera stores to external. And as long as you root and run sdfix app from Google Play, permissions are the same as before.

Google are still trying to push as many users as possible to cloud storage, which has its uses but I detest the fact they are trying to kill off external SD phones in doing so.

Ahhh I didnt know about the add sdfix, that is exactly what I was looking for if it lets me install my apps to the external. Im going to look into it some more.
15th August 2014, 04:41 AM   |  #4  
T0r0nt0!
Thanks Meter: 38

252 posts
More
I'm using the Sandisk Ultra 64 GB Class 10 UHS 1 micro SD which is more than enough for my media needs.

My only complaint is that this specific SD has poor write speeds of only 8.77 MB/S despite the fact that Class 10 are required to have a 10 MB/s write speed. Read speeds are fine, and perform better than the advertised 30MB/S - I am getting 37MB/S read speeds.

My friend has the same SD as well as the S5 and also suffers from lower than 10MB/S write speeds.

On another note, this card seems to write at 10MB/S when its plugged straight into my PC.

I am beginning to suspect that the specific combination of the S5 and the Sandisk Ultra yields such performance.
15th August 2014, 04:43 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Atlanta, GA

805 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumsteak

I'm using the Sandisk Ultra 64 GB Class 10 UHS 1 micro SD which is more than enough for my media needs.

My only complaint is that this specific SD has poor write speeds of only 8.77 MB/S despite the fact that Class 10 are required to have a 10 MB/s write speed. Read speeds are fine, and perform better than the advertised 30MB/S - I am getting 37MB/S read speeds.

My friend has the same SD as well as the S5 and also suffers from lower than 10MB/S write speeds.

On another note, this card seems to write at 10MB/S when its plugged straight into my PC.

I am beginning to suspect that the specific combination of the S5 and the Sandisk Ultra yields such performance.

I haven't really tested the speeds out for myself but I have the same sd card.
15th August 2014, 01:04 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 536

1,821 posts
No doubt 16 GB is enough for most people. Mind you, that's really about 12 GB of effective user space after the system files claims it's tithe.

It's tenuous for power users though. Frankly it's a crime that Samsung's so called flagship only has 16 GB when the (North American) Note3 has a default 32 GB. For myself, I like to have 20 GB+ of music alone on my phone. Yeah, it could be worse i.e. no SD card like most IOS models. But the external card speeds are abysmal compared to internal memory. There should be 32 and 64 GB models available for a flagship model.

Anyway, there is an XDA thread that does a good job of swapping the internal and external memories i.e. it designates your external card as the "internal card". You take a bit of a speed hit in exchange for 128 GB default capacity. The mod works better than the app you cited. Also note that it's a simple edit in platform.xml to revert the restrictive Kitkat permissions for the external card.

The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th August 2014, 06:33 PM   |  #7  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 11

184 posts
After I reverted the permission 16GB is workable, since I can now put GPS maps on external SD, before that I had 500mb of free space left on the internal SD.

Still if you play games it's very tight, a single not-so-new game like Nova 3 takes up 2.8 GB, and it won't store the extra files on external SD either way.
29th September 2014, 09:22 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 6

20 posts
More
I'm about to decide between buying a 32GB and 16GB S5. To properly answer "Is the 16GB internal storage good enough for you?": from those on a Samsung Galaxy S5 16GB could we get a few reports on your current available (internal storage) space.

I'd be especially grateful if you could provide:
  • A screenshot of your available space (Settings > Storage ?).
  • The number of user apps you have installed. (E.g. Titanium Backup > Batch Actions (Action button on top menu) > Backup > Backup all user apps <Values show a count of your user apps>
  • The current ROM you are using (e.g. Samsung Stock G900IDVU1ANG3, or Edgarf28's XtreStoLite Custom Rom, etc)
  • A description of what you intentionally store on the external SD card, if anything.
... but by all means just provide a text report of your available space if that's all you'd otherwise be inclined to bother with.
3rd October 2014, 12:37 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 6

20 posts
More
Bump.

A simple text report of your available space and the number of user apps you have installed, for a Samsung Galaxy S5 16B, would do!
5th October 2014, 01:10 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bentley

I'm about to decide between buying a 32GB and 16GB S5. To properly answer "Is the 16GB internal storage good enough for you?": from those on a Samsung Galaxy S5 16GB could we get a few reports on your current available (internal storage) space.

I'd be especially grateful if you could provide:

• A screenshot of your available space (Settings > Storage ?).
  • The number of user apps you have installed. (E.g. Titanium Backup > Batch Actions (Action button on top menu) > Backup > Backup all user apps <Values show a count of your user apps>
  • The current ROM you are using (e.g. Samsung Stock G900IDVU1ANG3, or Edgarf28's XtreStoLite Custom Rom, etc)
  • A description of what you intentionally store on the external SD card, if anything.
... but by all means just provide a text report of your available space if that's all you'd otherwise be inclined to bother with.

Your decision on 16 or 32GB may be easier than you think. To my knowledge and from my inquires into Samsung, they have not actually produced any 32GB versions yet. Someone correct me if they have one, I've been looking for a while. I haven't purchased the S5 yet because the lack of the 32GB version.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread