Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,424 Members 36,432 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Microphone not working on Galaxy S5

Tip us?
 
navpal
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 3
Join Date: Sep 2014
Default Microphone not working on Galaxy S5

My microphone on my S5 is not working. When I make a call I can hear the person but they can not hear me I also tried recording my voice and it didn't work, so clearly I am assuming the microphone is broken. What part do I specifically need in order to replace the microphone and have it working?
 
fffft
Old
#2  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 413
Posts: 1,559
Join Date: Jul 2013
Sounds like you didn't do a search and read the existing threads on this subject. Your assumption that the mic isn't working may not be correct. You should at least try turning off the noise cancelling settings first, speaking closer to the mic, et cetera. There is also a service menu setting for microphone gain. Failing all of those items, then a warranty claim or buying the part yourself, if out of warranty.

All of these are elaborated in more detail in existing threads.

.
 
navpal
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 3
Join Date: Sep 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
Sounds like you didn't do a search and read the existing threads on this subject. Your assumption that the mic isn't working may not be correct. You should at least try turning off the noise cancelling settings first, speaking closer to the mic, et cetera. There is also a service menu setting for microphone gain. Failing all of those items, then a warranty claim or buying the part yourself, if out of warranty.

All of these are elaborated in more detail in existing threads.

.
I have tried everything you have said before. If I could possibly know what specific part that is faulty so I can replace it because the warranty is expired
 
fffft
Old
#4  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 413
Posts: 1,559
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpal View Post
I have tried everything you have said before

It would have been helpful if you had bothered to tell us up front that you had done so.
The primary microphone is part of the charging port assembly.

.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s5_mic.png
Views:	17
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	2921608  
 
navpal
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 3
Join Date: Sep 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
It would have been helpful if you had bothered to tell us up front that you had done so.
The primary microphone is part of the charging port assembly.

.
Ok so replacing that part should fix the problem?
The Following User Says Thank You to navpal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
pr1vate piles
Old
#6  
pr1vate piles's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 114
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sheffield
I was having mic problems. Remembered a friend having issues on his S3, he used a needle to clean rubbish out of the hole on bottom of the phone. So i did the same, very thin needle only pushed in a small amount, pulled a load of fluff out. Problem solved. Two mics on s5, bottom is for using phone normally, top is for when you use in speaker mode.

Might be worth a try.
Motorola Xoom WiFi - Retired with honours

Samsung Galaxy S III
Jellybean 4.3 - Retired July 2014

Samsung Galaxy S 5
100% stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to pr1vate piles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Chaitanyapatel8880
Old
#7  
Chaitanyapatel8880's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 316
Posts: 602
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Locating.........

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpal View Post
My microphone on my S5 is not working. When I make a call I can hear the person but they can not hear me I also tried recording my voice and it didn't work, so clearly I am assuming the microphone is broken. What part do I specifically need in order to replace the microphone and have it working?
Is your phone rooted?
If yes than are you using custom kernel?
If Yes than which kernel?

Sometimes it is due to kernel.
Capt. Chaitanya Patel

If my post helped you than please click on THANKS button, it might be a little for you but VERY BIG for me...

My Contribution to XDA:

[GUIDE] [MAJOR UPDATE:9-JUL-14] Extreme Batterylife thread ADVANCE SETUP GUIDE

Widgets Illusion Theme

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes