Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Hands On – XDA TV

Perhaps one of the more peculiar announcements this year was the curved edge-screened … more

Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more
Post Reply

[Q] Best non-root wifi tether options (verizon unlimited data)?

OP worf65

22nd August 2014, 08:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
I want to get a Galaxy S5 but I want to hold off on rooting it for a little while so I can avoid having any problems with the warranty if something goes wrong since most defects will show up early on if they are present. I want to be able to use the wifi tethering on a trip for labor day weekend. What are the best options on this phone with the latest updates? I don't know what software version will be on it when I get it. I have used foxfi in the past before I rooted my current droid RAZR MAXX. A lot of these apps don't always work depending on phone, software version, and carrier.
23rd August 2014, 11:20 AM   |  #2  
Member
Flag Chile
Thanks Meter: 21
 
55 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by worf65

I want to get a Galaxy S5 but I want to hold off on rooting it for a little while so I can avoid having any problems with the warranty if something goes wrong since most defects will show up early on if they are present. I want to be able to use the wifi tethering on a trip for labor day weekend. What are the best options on this phone with the latest updates? I don't know what software version will be on it when I get it. I have used foxfi in the past before I rooted my current droid RAZR MAXX. A lot of these apps don't always work depending on phone, software version, and carrier.

use towelroot for root... only download, open, press button, and ready.... full root, 0 apps, you can open root apps without trace of "super user apps"
25th August 2014, 05:15 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrigas

use towelroot for root... only download, open, press button, and ready.... full root, 0 apps, you can open root apps without trace of "super user apps"

Is there any easy way to undo this if I have any problems with the phone? I've rooted all my previous phones but I prefer to wait a few weeks before doing anything irreversible just in case I run into any hardware failures and need to get the phone replaced. I do want to get this done as soon as possible, the software update notification is getting really annoying but I don't want to void my warranty.
25th August 2014, 05:23 PM   |  #4  
dladz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 763
 
3,698 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by worf65

Is there any easy way to undo this if I have any problems with the phone? I've rooted all my previous phones but I prefer to wait a few weeks before doing anything irreversible just in case I run into any hardware failures and need to get the phone replaced. I do want to get this done as soon as possible, the software update notification is getting really annoying but I don't want to void my warranty.

download an official firmware to be flashed with Odin, doing this will remove all traces of root and won't trigger knox either, you then have your warranty back, bare in mind that to use towel root you must be on an older firmware, think it's may or earlier, you can check your version under settings about phone.
25th August 2014, 05:27 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dladz

download an official firmware to be flashed with Odin, doing this will remove all traces of root and won't trigger knox either, you then have your warranty back, bare in mind that to use towel root you must be on an older firmware, think it's may or earlier, you can check your version under settings about phone.

Thanks, I'll root it soon. My kernel version is from march so I should be fine. Its telling me to update constantly though, first thing I'm going to do after rooting it will be to disable that.
The Following User Says Thank You to worf65 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th August 2014, 05:32 PM   |  #6  
dladz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 763
 
3,698 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by worf65

Thanks, I'll root it soon. My kernel version is from march so I should be fine. Its telling me to update constantly though, first thing I'm going to do after rooting it will be to disable that.

click thanks when people help you m8. I'll start yours off seeing as you've not got any

And yea March is fine, just go to the towelroot website and install the APK from there, takes minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to dladz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank