Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 41,799 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Best non-root wifi tether options (verizon unlimited data)?

Tip us?

worf65
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Best non-root wifi tether options (verizon unlimited data)?

I want to get a Galaxy S5 but I want to hold off on rooting it for a little while so I can avoid having any problems with the warranty if something goes wrong since most defects will show up early on if they are present. I want to be able to use the wifi tethering on a trip for labor day weekend. What are the best options on this phone with the latest updates? I don't know what software version will be on it when I get it. I have used foxfi in the past before I rooted my current droid RAZR MAXX. A lot of these apps don't always work depending on phone, software version, and carrier.

zorrigas
Old
Thanks Meter 21

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by worf65 View Post
I want to get a Galaxy S5 but I want to hold off on rooting it for a little while so I can avoid having any problems with the warranty if something goes wrong since most defects will show up early on if they are present. I want to be able to use the wifi tethering on a trip for labor day weekend. What are the best options on this phone with the latest updates? I don't know what software version will be on it when I get it. I have used foxfi in the past before I rooted my current droid RAZR MAXX. A lot of these apps don't always work depending on phone, software version, and carrier.
use towelroot for root... only download, open, press button, and ready.... full root, 0 apps, you can open root apps without trace of "super user apps"

worf65
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrigas View Post
use towelroot for root... only download, open, press button, and ready.... full root, 0 apps, you can open root apps without trace of "super user apps"
Is there any easy way to undo this if I have any problems with the phone? I've rooted all my previous phones but I prefer to wait a few weeks before doing anything irreversible just in case I run into any hardware failures and need to get the phone replaced. I do want to get this done as soon as possible, the software update notification is getting really annoying but I don't want to void my warranty.

dladz
Old
Thanks Meter 754

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Is there any easy way to undo this if I have any problems with the phone? I've rooted all my previous phones but I prefer to wait a few weeks before doing anything irreversible just in case I run into any hardware failures and need to get the phone replaced. I do want to get this done as soon as possible, the software update notification is getting really annoying but I don't want to void my warranty.
download an official firmware to be flashed with Odin, doing this will remove all traces of root and won't trigger knox either, you then have your warranty back, bare in mind that to use towel root you must be on an older firmware, think it's may or earlier, you can check your version under settings about phone.
Phones: Moto 888 - Nokia 6110 - Nokia 3210 - Nokia 3310 - Nokia 8210 - Samsung e250 - Sony F305 - LG Viewty - G1 - HTC Hero - HTC Desire HD - HTC Sensation - Nokia Lumia 800 - HTC EVO 3D - Samsung i9300 - Asus Prime TF201 silver - HTC One - Galaxy Camera - Z1 - Galaxy S5

worf65
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dladz View Post
download an official firmware to be flashed with Odin, doing this will remove all traces of root and won't trigger knox either, you then have your warranty back, bare in mind that to use towel root you must be on an older firmware, think it's may or earlier, you can check your version under settings about phone.
Thanks, I'll root it soon. My kernel version is from march so I should be fine. Its telling me to update constantly though, first thing I'm going to do after rooting it will be to disable that.
The Following User Says Thank You to worf65 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dladz
Old
Thanks Meter 754

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks, I'll root it soon. My kernel version is from march so I should be fine. Its telling me to update constantly though, first thing I'm going to do after rooting it will be to disable that.
click thanks when people help you m8. I'll start yours off seeing as you've not got any

And yea March is fine, just go to the towelroot website and install the APK from there, takes minutes.
Phones: Moto 888 - Nokia 6110 - Nokia 3210 - Nokia 3310 - Nokia 8210 - Samsung e250 - Sony F305 - LG Viewty - G1 - HTC Hero - HTC Desire HD - HTC Sensation - Nokia Lumia 800 - HTC EVO 3D - Samsung i9300 - Asus Prime TF201 silver - HTC One - Galaxy Camera - Z1 - Galaxy S5
The Following User Says Thank You to dladz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]