Black Stripe on Screen

21st August 2014, 03:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
So my galaxy s5 has been working great for the past month or so that I've owned it. I have rooted it and done some adjustments with the xposed installer, but I haven't flashed any custom roms yet or anything. So then today out of nowhere, this little stripe appears on my screen:

So that's annoying. I took a screenshot on my phone and then moved it to see if it was the actual screen or just the picture being displayed on it. However, the screenshot shows no black stripe when zoomed and moved around so that the would be screenshotted black stripe wouldn't be on top of the actual black stripe. Then I restarted my phone, still there. I booted into recovery mode to see if it still happened when not opening the actual normal use, it was still there. Then finally I tried pulling out the battery and putting it back in, still there. I'm a little frustrated and a bit scared that I've already voided my warranty by rooting it and disabling knox. Also, the line turns sort of white when against a dark background and goes away when the screen is off. It's not the worst obstruction in the world, but the phone is less than a month old, so obviously I want it to be perfect. Any help that can be offered is appreciated.

I'm on verizon if that makes any difference.

Edit: I haven't dropped it, exposed it to heat or magnets or anything of the sort
Last edited by cuulcars; 21st August 2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: More info
22nd August 2014, 11:30 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 458

1,639 posts
It's unfortunate that you didn't post a full size, full resolution image. We can't make out any fine detail in your reduced resolution image. It would also have been good to know if the band is invariant in size as you make screen adjustments or display primary colours on screen. Or if it shows up in downloaded photos?

We are of course seeking a pattern or otherwise trying to narrow down the potential causes. Since we don't have much to go on yet, we can only guess, it looks to be a hardware defect. But there isn't enough information to be certain.

It would still be useful to look for a pattern in whether the band varies at all with different colours and brightnesses on screen. You can also use the dialer code *#08# and display red only, blue only, white only, black only, etc screens to get a better sense of which pixels are apparently contributing to the band.

Also try backing up the phone (to save your user files or installed apps), then revert to 100% stock firmware temporarily, followed by a factory data reset. If the problem persists it is all but certain to be a hardware issue. Claim it under warranty then if you can.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread