Have I bricked my phone?

OP lambada24

12th July 2014, 11:44 AM   |  #11  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

78 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

Then you have more faith in Samsung than many of us. A number of people have said that five minutes was insufficient. You might want to make a few more calls than that just to be on the safe side.

OK I'll do that. Is receiving calls good enough?
12th July 2014, 02:18 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 555

1,894 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambada24

OK I'll do that. Is receiving calls good enough?

We don't know. Everyone hates region locking, but no one has done any rigourous testing. The mechanism that clears the region lock may round down minutes or perhaps misses some calls. Maybe Samsung actually set it a bit higher e.g. 7 minutes to foul up grey market sellers.

I would check the blacklist to be certain. In your place, given a rash of people saying that they made 5 -10 minutes of calls.. and the region lock remained in place,.. and if it would cause you significant inconvenience if it remained intact - I would strive to have 10+ minutes of both received and placed calls.

Do what you think best. And feel free to let Samsung know that you are unimpressed.

The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th July 2014, 05:13 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

100% region lock test
You will need root to check

Region lock is implemented by using a network blacklist. It may blacklist (block) entire countries, not just a single carrier. This is in contrast to a SIM lock that would whitelist just one carrier.

Using a root aware file manager, look at the /system/csc/customer.xml file.
Under the security heading, you should either see something like this:

Code:
<Security>
        <NbNetworkLock>0</NbNetworkLock>
</Security>

Or like this:

Code:
<Security>
        <NbNetworkLock>2</NbNetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>460BB</NetworkLock>
        <NetworkLock>250BB</NetworkLock>
</Security>

If your file mirrors the first example, then your phone is not region locked. If you have MCC codes listed as in the second example you might have an active region lock. The first line is the number of MCC entries and the actual MCC codes represent carriers that are blacklisted to you. But it could be because your carrier is blocking roaming there rather than a region lock.To distinguish the two we would also need to see if the region lock flag is set in the NVM.

Describing how to check and remove the NV flag would be a much longer post. But if the entries concern you, simply edit them to MCC codes that you will never visit which effectively circumvemts the region lock. Do not delete the MCC entries outright unless you also clear the NV flag. You can look the MCC codes up online to see what carrier(s) they correspond to.

Hi I have a S900H from Europe its region locked because I can't use a SIM here in the Americas If I decide to root would I be able by changing the MMC codes as you mention to unlock it??
28th July 2014, 03:59 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 555

1,894 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrasec

Hi I have a S900H from Europe its region locked because I can't use a SIM here in the Americas If I decide to root would I be able by changing the MMC codes as you mention to unlock it??

Your phone has a different processor than the models sold in the Americas. But I would think that the blacklist would be the same. So yes, it should work to circumvent the region lock.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread