[Q] Should I charge SM-G900F 6 hours (first charge)?

OP android addicts

9th August 2014, 01:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 89

1,001 posts
Hi all,

Today I have purchased Galaxy S5 SM-G900F. The shop sales rep mentioned that, when I'm charging this phone, I have to charge it 6 hours (online charge), even if it's fully charged. They mentioned that that method will improve the battery life. Is it true?

I read somewhere that modern battery doesn't have memory effect. So should I plug my SGS5 G900F 6 hours?
9th August 2014, 02:31 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by android addicts

Hi all,

Today I have purchased Galaxy S5 SM-G900F. The shop sales rep mentioned that, when I'm charging this phone, I have to charge it 6 hours (online charge), even if it's fully charged. They mentioned that that method will improve the battery life. Is it true?

I read somewhere that modern battery doesn't have memory effect. So should I plug my SGS5 G900F 6 hours?

Use it and discharge it under 5% then plug it in to charge it to 100%, that's all. No need for 6 hours charge on S5.
The Following User Says Thank You to CowboyWorld For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th August 2014, 03:14 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 538

1,827 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by android addicts

should I plug my SGS5 G900F 6 hours?

No you shouldn't. Nevertheless most people will tell you to do so anyway. The advice is intended to assure that your battery reaches 100% charge and gives you a good first impression of battery life. It's also stressful to your battery.

Ideally you'd charge to 85%, which is probably 0 - 2 hours charging depending on how much charge your battery has out of the box. Then aim for shallow discharge cycles thereafter. Running to depletion and high temperatures are the worst things that you can do to a lithium ion battery. And charging to 100% is stressful too.

Of course if you want maximum run time and will not be near an charging source, then you will probably charge to 100% anyway. A tradeoff between utility and overall battery life.

There are lots of existing threads on this subject, replete with useful information for anyone that does a search e.g. this or this.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread